• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO: Can't open attachments from an IMAP account

jgramling

Lurker
Aug 1, 2010
We will be replacing our Palm Treo 755s with HTC EVOs. I have one now and am tasked with getting all the synchronization set up and working for the 30 attorneys and administative staff I support.

The only issue I am having is that I am unable to see, let alone open attachments on emails I receive on the phone. I can see that the message has an attachment because it has a paper clip next to the subject/sender in the email list. When I open the email, I see no eveidence of an attachent.

One thing I just figured out was that I can open PDF attachemnts as the phone came with a PDF viewer, but cannot open .DOCs even though I have installed the DocsToGo basic program. (It includes the DOC and XLS viewers). Is this not sufficient to open the attachments?

If not is there some other FREE app that will allow me view these attachments on my EVO?

I use IMAP

1)Click on View Attachments
2)Double click on the arrow down
3)Then double click on the 2nd paperclip icon.

It isn't very intuitive. You have to click 'within' the icon. If you click outside like on the name, it doesn't work. It is ANOTHER buggy implementation of HTC Sense mail.

The built in mail should be able to open simple word .doc (not docx) documents.

Upvote 0
That's the thing. Those steps work fine if there is a PDF attached to the email.

If there is any other type of attachment, I don't even get the View Attachments option. The email list shows the paper clips, but when I open the email, it's like there is no attachment.

It's got to be some sort of configuration issue. The EVO must not know what is supposed to open the attachments with so it just pretends they aren't there.

Upvote 0
OK, as little sense as this makes, here's what I have found.

When I was unable to open .doc attachments yesterday, I downloaded and installed the free DocsToGo Viewer. Then I tried to open the attachmenst for the emails I had on the phone. Still no joy.

Today, I happened to send myself an email with a .doc attachment and I am able to open it with no problem. It appears that I can open attachments received after installation of DocsToGo viewer, but still can't open attachments received before it's installation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones