• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO capping all graphics @ 30FPS?

I play games on my Evo all the time and have not noticed any lag worth mentioning. In fact I have never appreciated gaming this much on a phone.

Thank you!

And just wanted to add one more thing in here, this is a phone not a PSP or a Gameboy. If you want high FPS no lag and solid rubust gameplay buy a darn video game unit.

The same can be said for the camera or the video recorder, a simple 100 dollar snap and shoot will kick the teeth out of the Evo, it's not a dedicated video game console, camera or camcorder it's a darn phone.

Upvote 0
I think it is cool that you folks can make light of the fact that the G1 when clocked at 528mhz is just as fast as the EVO. You are some forgiving fol

You act as if it's the end of the world. It's a firmware limitation which can be easily unlocked. It's not like your running the 528mhz processor in the G1 which can barely be overclocked.

Matter of a fact when you unlock it and you see the Snapdragon literally shoot your FPS to near 100fps and your battery goes bye bye in like 10 mins you might actually appreciate the limitation. You do realize that was done on purpose don't you?

What does fps have to do with OCing in this case? Out of the box, the cpu will control this, not the gpu. You would have to both update the kernel for the cpu and gpu and OC to create the conditions you articulate. Still, the weaker of the two will still bottleneck the other.

You do bring up a point, since if the display tech is a constraint, they may have done this on purpose. That then would mean a fix is not coming.

Another theory would be this actually was done to conserve battery, along with the lower watt reception of the wifi. Could all be part of the firmware strategy to manage the battery life.

Or, it could just be an error that will be fixed with an update :)

"Beer", it's what's for dinner.

Upvote 0
What does fps have to do with OCing in this case? Out of the box, the cpu will control this, not the gpu. You would have to both update the kernel for the cpu and gpu and OC to create the conditions you articulate. Still, the weaker of the two will still bottleneck the other.

You do bring up a point, since if the display tech is a constraint, they may have done this on purpose. That then would mean a fix is not coming.

Another theory would be this actually was done to conserve battery, asking with the lower watt reception of the wifi. Could all be part of the firmware strategy to manage the battery life.

Or, it could just be an error that will be fixed with an update :)

What are you talking about the CPU and the GPU is the same chip. The Snapdragon only supports it's own interrogated GPU chip which is built right on top of the processor.

The limitation is controlled via firmware for the exact reasons I posted above, if you've ever tried the wifi tether app you'll know how hot that phone can get and it's not even stressing half as bad as it would if you let the chip run wild with no limitation.

Another is the battery life which the CPU would decimate if you opened a 3D app and ran it for more than 5-10mins.

Upvote 0
What does fps have to do with OCing in this case? Out of the box, the cpu will control this, not the gpu. You would have to both update the kernel f

What are you talking about the CPU and the GPU is the same chip. The Snapdragon only supports it's own interrogated GPU chip which is built right on top of the processor.

The limitation is controlled via firmware for the exact reasons I posted above, if you've ever tried the wifi tether app you'll know how hot that phone can get and it's not even stressing half as bad as it would if you let the chip run wild with no limitation.

Another is the battery life which the CPU would decimate if you opened a 3D app and ran it for more than 5-10mins.

Respectfully, the snapdragon and 3000 series TI chips were designed to manage its circuit modules already. Plus the point that Desire and Inc do not have this issue and same chipset.

I think it may be due to the display tech, but HD2 is not capped and runs PSX and other games at well over 30 fps.

update:

Based on ROM updates tested at XDA, the issue remains the same, even with other device roms. This supports my theory that this is a lower level chipset control for managing power and offset for the display and 4G. Same chipset, yet EVO exhibits two issues that Nexus, Desire and Inc do not:

1. 30 fps cap
2. Significantly weaker wifi reception

My hillbilly theory is the display and 4G are high power-rent items and HTC chose to manage it by offsetting watts from other chip-module resources. Displacement of finite power resources.

Either that, or all a misunderstanding and a super easy fix! :)

Upvote 0
I was talking about film(video) at 24fps.

Sorry, didn't realize the thread was about video game graphics. :D

You were too nice, since the poster was presumptuous and condenscending. In fact, he was presumptuously-condenscending :eek: ;)

I wonder if this 30 fps thing is becoming more of an issue than it really is. Case in point, since the cap issue was posted, some people now complain about scroll lag. I have tested two EVO's and not seen this, but both devices had stock apps.

I think people may now be attributing performance issues they may have to the "cap", when issues could be rogue apps.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The jerky scrolling I believe is not attributed to the 30fps cap. I believe the cap only affects gaming.

The scrolling is merely the efficiency in the coding of the OS itself. This has been prevalent in all Android builds.

Bring up your App page, scroll all the way to the bottom it will stutter,

In a stock messaging app, press press and it will lag.

I think you can fix all this by using Launcher Pro, don't know, it doesn't bug me enough to make changes.

Upvote 0
I run Home Run battle 3d and it looks laggy, especially on the slow-mo home run bats... lol
I just downloaded that game.I use to play it on my iphone an it ran awesome better graphics also..well on my Evo its laggy as hell and the graphic qualty seems a little blurry..I notice when i watch youtube videos on the youtube app..the videos arent very clear..my opion the screen they put on this phone blows.....

Upvote 0
To the people posting in here, "This phone isn't MEANT to run games, go get a portable gaming system, blah blah blah, I'm annoying.", the thing is, the frame rate being blocked off at 30fps is the main cause of a lot of the chugging issues. Scrolling stutters, changing screens chunks over, and games are always looking laggy. I think honestly, the frame rate being gagged at 30 is also a leading cause of the tracking issues our touch screen has where it lags behind. We'll see though, if this is fixed. If it's fixed, I have cash money down that most of the issues will be gone like the chuggy scrolling, slow games, and the tracking of your finger on-screen.

Upvote 0
Bring up your App page, scroll all the way to the bottom it will stutter,

In a stock messaging app, press press and it will lag.

I think you can fix all this by using Launcher Pro, don't know, it doesn't bug me enough to make changes.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. What I was trying to say in my post was that the 30fps cap isn't causing the scrolling lag.

I think the scroll lag has always been a part of Android. Hopefully google will address this.

Upvote 0
"My hillbilly theory is the display and 4G are high power-rent items and HTC chose to manage it by offsetting watts from other chip-module resources. Displacement of finite power resources." = Interesting Idea

"To the people posting in here, "This phone isn't MEANT to run games, go get a portable gaming system, blah blah blah, I'm annoying..." = Perhaps, for YOU

This phone is in competition w/ the iPhone and other Android phones, so like it or not, it's graphics capabilities are important to some, especially when there's an HDMI port on the bottom..........

Upvote 0
Seems there are three potential reasons for the problem.

A. The device has poor graphics drivers. Makes no sense, since same chipset as several other devices that are not having the problem.

B. GPU is capped to conserve juice due to 4G and 4.3" screen. Perhaps, since this would explain the weaker wifi as well. EVO has two functions (graphics and wifi) that are significantly weaker, but same chipset of devices not having these issues: Desire, Inc and Nexus.

C. The LCD has performance issues above 30 fps. HD2 does not have the problem and most LCD's are designed to handle 60hz refresh, so seems a long shot reason.

I stick with "B", since it makes the most sense. HTC probably is trying to manage the power needs of 4G and the 4.3" display by reducing watt consumption from the GPU and the wifi. Simple, but explains why two key functions perform weaker than devices by same manufacturer using the same basic chipset. Only differences being (in some cases) gsm or cdma radios- 8250 or 8650 variants.

Update:

"B" also helps to explain why XDA dev efforts to try other device roms on the EVO do not fix the 30fps cap. The power management for the chip modules is probably managed at a lower level than the roms can touch- for now. Wifi apparently is no better, either.

Upvote 0
Seems there are three potential reasons for the problem.

A. The device has poor graphics drivers. Makes no sense, since same chipset as several other devices that are not having the problem.

B. GPU is capped to conserve juice due to 4G and 4.3" screen. Perhaps, since this would explain the weaker wifi as well. EVO has two functions (graphics and wifi) that are significantly weaker, but same chipset of devices not having these issues: Desire, Inc and Nexus.

C. The LCD has performance issues above 30 fps. HD2 does not have the problem and most LCD's are designed to handle 60hz refresh, so seems a long shot reason.

I stick with "B", since it makes the most sense. HTC probably is trying to manage the power needs of 4G and the 4.3" display by reducing watt consumption from the GPU and the wifi. Simple, but explains why two key functions perform weaker than devices by same manufacturer using the same basic chipset. Only differences being (in some cases) gsm or cdma radios- 8250 or 8650 variants.

Update:

"B" also helps to explain why XDA dev efforts to try other device roms on the EVO do not fix the 30fps cap. The power management for the chip modules is probably managed at a lower level than the roms can touch- for now. Wifi apparently is no better, either.

Is this a hardware issue, then? If so, aren't we effed?

Upvote 0
It is NOT in any way shape or form a hardware issue, it's entirely due to the drivers. Someone on the google Android forums gave the answer as to WHY all of our phones are performing as such. It's because HTC was cheap and decided not to purchase the correct drivers from Qualcomm when they got the chipsets, and now because of them wanting to cut corners, our phones are using graphics drivers that aren't made for our processor, making everything run like shit (but according to HTC, 'Hey, it runs! Be happy! We don't care if it's not running RIGHT, but it runs!'.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones