• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories EVO car charger questions

ScottOhlms

Nov 30, 2011
Hey guys,

New to the forum here and know nothing about the internal workings of car chargers. Obviously there are a million knockoff and generic ones out there, but I'm looking for decent quality that can keep up with the demands of what I'll use it for.

I see a lot of people saying that their car chargers are only being recognized by their phones as USB chargers and not A/C and are therefore either:
- Charging incredibly slowly
- Still draining battery life as they use it while charging

I know there are DIY fixes out there for that (soldering two pins together, etc), but I don't have the means or tools for those kinds of things.

Instead of buying a new GPS, I plan to use my phone's GPS which is obviously battery intensive. So between that and talking while it charges, I need a charger that can not only support those functions but also actually add some battery life. I don't like buying from the actual Sprint stores because I equate that to buying parts from a dealership (ie. rape), but if theirs is the best, then that's what I'll go for. How much power (is 1 A enough?) should I be looking at in order to effectively charge the phone while using it? What kind of charger should I be looking at?

I originally had purchased a cheap knockoff car charger, but hated it because it was a pain to keep connected to the micro usb port.

So, I did a search on ebay for a Evo car charger that was OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). It was still inexpensive. I think I paid around $5. At the Sprint store I think they are around $25 and it is the same thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones