• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO fees: take action!

I won't be buying the Evo. I would love to have it and it would be easy for me to pony up the extra $10/ month but it is the way that they do business that bothers me. If they were honest and straightforward about their fees I may not have as much of a problem with it. I mean, charge the $10 and call it an Evo fee, that's better than calling it a "Premium Data Fee". Better yet, call it the price of the phone because that's what you're really paying for. I'm already paying for the same "premium data" they're talking about.

This is as straight forward and honest as things can be.

If you want the EVO, it will cost an extra $10/ mo. Sometimes cell providers are less straight forward and that can be frustrating. This is not the case here.

Upvote 0
It's nice to see some e-mails getting answered, regardless of the issue.

The problem isn't that it's just $10, but the fact that the charge is also so vague and arbitrary. "Premium data content"? Really? Just because it can handle content better does not mean you deserve the right to charge more for it.

It's their way of releasing the phone for as cheap as it is, but able to still charge more. I'd rather pay extra for the phone than be charged a 'rental fee'.

If the fee was more specific like "This charge will insure your area 4G sometime in the future and gives you access to exclusive Sprint TV channels" I think there would be much fewer people complaining.

Upvote 0
The only way you "make your voice heard" is with your wallet, so either bend over and take it like a good consumer or go elsewhere. It's the sad truth. In this situation I will probably be one of the former.

Maybe a lot of people have already done that. Who knows, there must be an answer why Sprint Stocks are valued so low now a days. It can be because they're plan is so low they're not able to make a profit, or probably people are sick of companies going around the bush and just leaving, or maybe a combination of both. Who knows?

If you treat your customers like they were stupid enough to believe the $10 dollar premium is actually part of the phones capabilities to consume more data, then you have another thing coming. You can consume more data simply because there is more bandwidth with 4G. I wouldn't mind the $10 premium if I could tether my computer to the device. That would in fact consume a lot more bandwidth. But for a mobile device? Come on, the average person wouldn't even get close to the 5GB cap they have on their supposedly unlimited data plans, simply because not everyone is a media freak. If they want this to be true, why not impose that 5GB cap and then charge $10 for anyone going beyond that in any one month. I think that would make a lot more sense. And it would be fair to those people who don't even use more than the 5GB cap or those who live outside a 4G market.

Another option is that they can just tell people that expenses have gone up, and they need to change their plans for the EVO. Let them know what really is happening instead of trying some marketing smoke and mirror magic and thinking that people are stupid enough to believe it. I would rather have a company who raise their rates tell you squarely what's going on, than someone saying "we won't change rates of our plans when the evo comes" then slaps a $10 premium the moment they unveiled the product.

Upvote 0
I think it's just greed. Sprint sees an opportunity to raise their rates closer to Att and Verizon based on popularity of the device. When they should be concentrating on getting as many contracts as possible with the combo of the Evo and their $70 plan. This phone is nothing but a HD2 with a front facing camera.. Tmo didnt raise their rates, so why does Sprint? And to charge everyone regardless of your coverage is just wrong. If I had 4G in my area, I would gladly pay the extra $10..hell, them new towers ain't cheap!

Im gonna get the phone on day one, but if I don't see much of a difference from my Samsung Moment justifying a $120/year lease.. Im taking it back and canceling. And I would hope others would too.. to show these cell companies that they cant continue to make up these pathetic fees.

I remember when getting a 2 year contract was good enough. Then they force text and data plans because of a particular phone, and now they are charging a luxury tax! bs!

Upvote 0
A community letter project is underway. If you have anything to contribute, please see here:
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g...int-coming-against-10-premium-charge-evo.html

The idea is to get one really nice letter to Sprint that we can post all over the net so people can copy and paste it to email. Maybe Engadget or some of the major blog sites will run with it, who knows.

The bottom line is taking no action at all will certainly not get us the results we want. Weather you buy the phone or not, you have to let Sprint know that you don't appreciate being bent over like that. Especially if you're on a family plan. $40 per month is a pretty significant increase in the monthly bill.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones