• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO is the only phone with a 4" or larger screen without a movie app

Only thing I stream while travelling in a car are Sports. Other than that, music and movies I'll do directly through my phone.

I can speak about streaming Sports through my phone...Considering I go through 3 different dead spots (for all providers) on my commute home, the connection to the stream is decent (not great) on 3G. Every now and then, there's a hiccup where the stream will pause and keep trying to refresh, but it eventually catches up when I leave the dead zone. Only problem I noticed at that point is, it continues trying to refresh.

Now, if you're in transit and don't have any dead spots and have a consistent/strong signal throughout that trip, I can't see why a stream wouldn't be pretty flawless.

Upvote 0
The easiest way is through Torrentz.com and use something like Rockplayer which plays a majority of downloadable content. Torrents are not illegal. Bit torrent is not illegal. The website I mentioned is not illegal. Downloading content is not illegal. *Sharing* copyrighted content is illegal. Most people don't fully understand the law.

Torrents are not illegal. Bittorrent is not illegal. Using torrents to download copyrighted material is illegal in the sense that it is copyright infringement. Most people do not understand the law, those people including you. The way you describe it is how it works in Canada, not the USA.

In either case -- you have to use your discretion because most things you will find on torrent sites is being shared illegally. They do not prosecute you for the download. They prosecute you because the protocol downloads *and* uploads. It's the uploading/sharing that's illegal. Thus... you break the law if you are acquiring copyrighted material through something like Bit Torrent.
They can, and they do sue (not prosecute, copyright infringement is not a criminal offense unless on commercial-scale) for simply downloading. However, they do focus their efforts on the sharing ones, as it's more efficient legally. Rather than simply sue every person who downloads a film, they just sue the few who upload it. But that is NOT the law, and they have sued everyone before. See also: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...we-boll-sues-2000-far-cry-p2p-downloaders.ars

Also, to throw another wrench in your logic, torrenting involves uploading and downloading for all members anyway.

The Android OS actually is capable of doing more than its phone counterparts. The argument is really about our *legal* ability to acquire content. All the content you could ever want is available. It's simply illegal in most cases. The content providers support other phones better. That's okay...
Yes, the hardest part is legally obtaining content to watch. Most of this should be resolved on the arrival of the Netflix app.

Also, people should not mention that iphone movie website, since all said content on there is copyright infringement, and you are infringing if you download it.

Upvote 0
is anybody else aware that you can rent movies from Sprint tv. maybe i have just never noticed this before or maybe it was in an update that i just didn't pay attention to, but i was on my lunch break playing around with the sprint tv and noticed a movie section. I clicked on it and purchased Clash of the Titans. It was pricey at $5.99, and the quality over 3g wasn't great, but I was able to watch it ok. just wasn't sure if this is new or not. what you say???

Upvote 0
is anybody else aware that you can rent movies from Sprint tv. maybe i have just never noticed this before or maybe it was in an update that i just didn't pay attention to, but i was on my lunch break playing around with the sprint tv and noticed a movie section. I clicked on it and purchased Clash of the Titans. It was pricey at $5.99, and the quality over 3g wasn't great, but I was able to watch it ok. just wasn't sure if this is new or not. what you say???

Are they streamed movies or an actual download? I'm assuming streamed because you mentioned it was over 3G, but just want to clarify. $5.99 would seem pretty pricey for a stream.

Upvote 0
Netflix is awesome. It works almost flawlessly on the ipod touch, and mine is a first generation. Quality is outstanding for screens around 4 inches and audio is great. It also cuts down on illegal downloading because it works, its easy, and it is instant. It works on my PS3, ipod, and then I also get that disk which just sits there on my counter all for 9 bucks. I am seriously looking at the EVO, and the lack of netflix is a factor. (it is not the only factor and not the deciding factor, but a factor.) There is only one other app that I know is not available that I would really like to have (istobe) and I emailed them. They replied with it is not in line for development.

I was a little disappointed to see netflix on the new Windows 7 platform too.

Upvote 0
I highly recommend

Veoh

It lets you watch full length Veoh videos and movies via streaming. I just watched several minutes of "Day of the Dead" without any pauses.

Remember to thank me. ;)

Oh and addthe bookmark as a shortcut to your on-screen and you've got an app. :D

While the content is somewhat limited, this is the best implementation I have ever seen for a mobile device. From the simple web interface to the superb quality of video and sound, this site is fantastic. Thank you for this link. I noticed in the URL this was referenced as an iPhone site. It would appear that if an Iphone can stream it over it's browser, so can an android based device sans the flash capability. To me this gives the EVO with the ability to stream flash and use iphone sites a distinct advantage in the video arena.
I have been successful at installing and using an ORB server on my Media Center PC to stream live television, music, video, and movies via a DVD player to my EVO. Do not use the App from the market for video. You can use it for music however. Use the mycast.orb.com website for video streaming. Make sure and set your preferences to flash on the orb site. If you have no sound, simply stop and start the feed again.

Jack

Upvote 0
Netflix Promises Android App...But Not For All Phones

I would hope/assume the evo will be one of the phones.

Don't hold your breath. The main hold up is a lack of embeded DRM on most android devices. Netflix will likely only be released on new devices that include a DRM chip embeded in the system. This means that most current android devices will likely be left without netflix. Hope I am wrong but the same thing has already happened in hardware media streamers like the WDTV.

Reactions: jparker71
Upvote 0
Don't hold your breath. The main hold up is a lack of embeded DRM on most android devices. Netflix will likely only be released on new devices that include a DRM chip embeded in the system. This means that most current android devices will likely be left without netflix. Hope I am wrong but the same thing has already happened in hardware media streamers like the WDTV.

There's an article on wired I belive stating the DRM factor is what's causing the delay on Android phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones