• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo June 4th for $199.00

You were correct. The everything plan gives you unlimited data. Anyone who has ever used tethering can tell you that. Even without tethering I have used 13GB just last month.

Yeah, I see that I used around 15GB last month myself. I get an employee discount from my job for 25% so truthfully an extra $10 isn't going to break me in any way so it doesn't matter to me.

Upvote 0
There is a 5GB limit on their "Unlimited Data Plan" from Sprint, and being that they just added the $29 mobile hotspot fee, you can bet they are probably going to start monitoring those who are consistently going over that 5GB limit. Technically, Sprint can terminate your service if they wish if you go over the 5GB limit.

I'm not a fan of this $10 additional mandatory fee, but I can see why it's there. I'm not in a 4G market, nor will I be for a while I'm sure, but it is what it is.

I don't qualify for a full upgrade until September anyways, so I'm not too worried about it for now.

Upvote 0
There is a 5GB limit on their "Unlimited Data Plan" from Sprint, and being that they just added the $29 mobile hotspot fee, you can bet they are probably going to start monitoring those who are consistently going over that 5GB limit. Technically, Sprint can terminate your service if they wish if you go over the 5GB limit.

This is not true. There is a 5GB limit on the broadband cards and mifi devices. The broadband cards used to be unlimited, but they could throttle you after 5GB. Now they don't call the broadband plans unlimited anymore and only allow 5GB.

The unlimited everything plans for the phones are just that, unlimited. I do however agree that with the $30 a month plan on the evo they will be monitoring people who use a lot of bandwidth to ensure that any tethering will result in extra fees and/or canceled accounts. It shouldn't be hard for them to automatically monitor usage and find people who are tethering so we should see soon after June 4th, if folks are getting shut off or letters in the mail.

Upvote 0
This is not true. There is a 5GB limit on the broadband cards and mifi devices. The broadband cards used to be unlimited, but they could throttle you after 5GB. Now they don't call the broadband plans unlimited anymore and only allow 5GB.

The unlimited everything plans for the phones are just that, unlimited. I do however agree that with the $30 a month plan on the evo they will be monitoring people who use a lot of bandwidth to ensure that any tethering will result in extra fees and/or canceled accounts. It shouldn't be hard for them to automatically monitor usage and find people who are tethering so we should see soon after June 4th, if folks are getting shut off or letters in the mail.

I have been on the Ulimited Plan since it's inception. The 5GB limit only applies to recent plans. I called Sprint, and as long as I keep this plan, it will be UNLIMITED.

Upvote 0
I have been on the Ulimited Plan since it's inception. The 5GB limit only applies to recent plans. I called Sprint, and as long as I keep this plan, it will be UNLIMITED.

unless of course you download/upload too much; do too much tethering; or starting bittorrenting, serve data, etc. etc.

unlimited on handset; basically they offer unl. on handset because they don't expect one to use over a 'certain' amount.

disclaimer: this is only my opinion

Upvote 0

They can't sell you an unlimited plan and then place a limit on it. That is illegal. The only thing they can do is put in the fine print that if you use over 5GB they will throttle your account. If you pay for unlimited though, they can not legally charge you more money to use the service you have already paid for. Not to mention, Sprint would be bat-shit insane to piss off customers since they haven't had one quarter where they picked up more new customers than they lost. The only part of their business that is gaining customers is their pre-paid services which they make less return on each account with.

This is no different from their mifi and broadband cards. My ex has had their broadband service for 2 years so she is unlimited. When she upgraded to a mifi in February and signed a new 2 year contract she stayed unlimited. When I went in March and bought the mifi I was given a 5GB limit. In her's I used 35GB one month. On mine, if I went over 5GB the fees were outrageous. So it went back a week later just under 5 GB. The difference is her's says unlimited and so it is unlimited. Mine said 5GB and was limited to 5GB.

So if Sprint wanted to limit me they couldn't call my plan unlimited.

Upvote 0
They can't sell you an unlimited plan and then place a limit on it. That is illegal.
hasn't this been standard practice since at least 2008, although maybe sprint is different since they took of unlimited on evdo after 7-13-08. T-Mobile *JUST* removed their overage policy on smartphone 'unlimited data' plans whereby they were charging customers for overage beyond 5GB and implemented a throttling policy. Though I didn't read an possible legal action requiring them to do so.

I think this deceptive tactic is BS and if it's becoming illegal, great. But Verizon, T-Mobile and ATT were all doing this; T-Mo just stopped, not sure 'bout ATT and Verizon.

edit: more insight on sprint's policy

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/05/28/sprint-responds-to-rumors-about-5gb-unlimited-data-cap/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones