• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO Locked at 30 FPS by HTC

There are few people complaining about the fps so i emailed HTC and got that response, I dont watch movies on my EVO, but i do play games. I dont have issue with the way the phone is now, but people are complaining about it. It can be for games and stuff, the way EVO is setup now it runs the movies no problem.

Upvote 0
There are few people complaining about the fps so i emailed HTC and got that response, I dont watch movies on my EVO, but i do play games. I dont have issue with the way the phone is now, but people are complaining about it. It can be for games and stuff, the way EVO is setup now it runs the movies no problem.

Yeah it seems to me they limited it for battery life and to keep the heat down and to save money because they didn't pay Qualcomm for the full drivers. It doesn't affect movies... the big complaint is for gaming... games that are meant to play at a higher frame rate will be choppy and unplayable.

Upvote 0
30 fps is fine for games. Most console games are 30 fps.

Yeah, but a 30fps limitation on the entire phone isn't fine when there are no other smartphones currently available that have such a stupid limit placed on them.

Try playing a graphic-intensive game on the Evo. When it drops below 30fps, you'll be able to tell. This is a very important issue that needs to be corrected by HTC.

Upvote 0
sooooooooooo, any way we can get these drivers our-self from Qualcomm? I emailed them a few days ago, no response yet :p.

Unfortunately it looks like we are at the mercy of HTC. Currently Sprint and the guys over at XDA is hassling HTC to fix this problem.

Honestly if they put this cap in to save battery life, I'd rather them bump it up to 60fps and I'll buy an extra battery.

I can't stand laggy phones.

P.S. Froyo does not fix this issue.

Upvote 0
Don't fret.

The Android OS 2.2 update (unknown exactly what date will be official announced) will unlock the 30fps lock and allow for it to 40+ with the developers of games and apps.

Like Sprint removing the built in hot spot feature, HTC could easily modify their Froyo update to keep the 30fps cap active. Hell, they could even use it as an excuse for delaying the update itself.

Reactions: Matlock
Upvote 0
Yeah, but a 30fps limitation on the entire phone isn't fine when there are no other smartphones currently available that have such a stupid limit placed on them.

Try playing a graphic-intensive game on the Evo. When it drops below 30fps, you'll be able to tell. This is a very important issue that needs to be corrected by HTC.

30 fps limitation is fine as long as you can constant 30 fps. The problem is that HTC's firmware level fps choke is poorly written/implemented. According to xda, it actually reduces performance while trying to limit it.

Upvote 0
Don't fret.

The Android OS 2.2 update (unknown exactly what date will be official announced) will unlock the 30fps lock and allow for it to 40+ with the developers of games and apps.

Along with that, a lot more great updates are coming.

Source: Android 2.2 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

Woohoo! Go Google/htc!

How will this fix the issue? New roms do not correct this, since the cap is lower level and needs drivers that will correct this.

Only HTC can fix this. Giving false hopes with 2.2 is wrong if not correct.

"Beer", it's what's for dinner.

Upvote 0
How will this fix the issue? New roms do not correct this, since the cap is lower level and needs drivers that will correct this.

Only HTC can fix this. Giving false hopes with 2.2 is wrong if not correct.

"Beer", it's what's for dinner.

This is true. All HTC will have to do is edit the new update to fit their cap...evil.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones