1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root EVO on METRO PCS Programing Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mikekelso421, May 30, 2011.

1. mikekelso421

mikekelso421 Android Enthusiast
    None

So i have a Evo fully flashed to metro pcs..i am running the CM7 metropcs edition ROM with everything working.now heres my question.I have a .zip file that is used to "fix" the data,gps and MMS for the evo on metro..if i were to flash a rom "MYN's Warm Z 2.2" would it effect the data programming of my phone?if so,would a NAND BACKUP restore old programing settings back to prior?and also,if it were to change the data programing,would my data,mms fix "fix" the problem? thanks for your help guys!

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    no the gps fix in cm7 should not effect myn's warm z. and your nandroid for cm7 should be good to go as well. a nandroid backup is a snapshot your current state of your phone. the fix should carry over with the nandroid.

3. mikekelso421

None

thanks for the reply..so i ended up flashing MYN's Warm..problem was..data was working but ,no MMS..so i flashed the "MetroPCS_Web_MMS_Evo_AOSP_v4" .zip.
    but everytime i flash that .zip it erases the MMS.apk..there is no messaging app AT ALL on the phone (checked with "systemapp remover" and "Root explorer").im gonna guess Myns Warm isnt an AOSP rom. (still not really sure what AOSP and MIUI is).but my guess is this "fix" is for AOSP ONLY,sense the "AOPS" in the name of the zip....i REALLY like the ROM (coming for CM7).just wish i could get it FULLY functional like the CM7 and Metrodroid ROMs designed for the EVO on metropcs.

4. ocnbrze

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    myn's warm z is a port from the htc desire z and thus has sense built in. aosp stands for android open sorce project.It is what google has released to let devs do what they do best. it is pure android. yeah looks like that .zip will not work with sense, since it is sourced for aosp.

5. mikekelso421

None

Good to know..so is there any way to flash this rom and have MMS work?? would i have to manually program the phone again? and also,other than CM,what are some good roms?? (preferably with good battery life and one that doesnt drain your battery using wifi) i read that Gingerbread AND CM are VERY bad with WIFI draining the battery..i was just looking at "Gingerbread-evo-deck" i REALLY like the THEME MANAGER built in..lol hard to stray away from CM...

6. ocnbrze

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    from what i can see of myn's warm z it looks like the mms works. however, i am not to familiar with metropcs. so not sure if it is because you are flashed onto their network or not. as for cm7 and gb goes with tiamat kernel i am get great battery life. and so far i have no issues with wifi.

mikekelso421 likes this.
  7. mikekelso421

None

now im still very NOOBISH with kernels...could you give me a little rundown of what it does and the benefits..and MOST IMPORTANTLY will it screw with the data programing?? cuz i DEF dont wanna have to program it again.lol its quite a pain.thanks again for your prompt response.:)

8. ocnbrze

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    ok a kernel is basically a go between for hardware and software. it basically determines how much power to give to between the two. here is a guide with terminology that will help you understand and pick which kernel is for you: [GUIDE]

mikekelso421 likes this.
  9. mikekelso421

None

Thansk for the run-down..im gonna flash the latest Version of CM and the Tiamat kernel..but i have one more question..im going to have to flash the data,MMS fix after flashing the rom..should i flash ROM,kernel THEN data MMS FIX.zip?

10. ocnbrze

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    that order is fine, but dont forget to flash the gapps file as well.

oh and by the way love your avatar. LMOA!

11. mikekelso421

None

OF COARSE!lol cant forget the gapps! and thanks! hide yo kids,hide you wife!

12. mikekelso421

None

would the Tiamat kernel go good with the Gingerbread-evo-deck ROM?? i kinda wanna try it out..lol

13. ocnbrze

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    yes, tiamat is an aosp kernel. most kernels are specific to either sense or aosp. they usually do not mix. there are a few kernels like netarchy toastmod that have a universal kernel that works on both.

14. mikekelso421

None

sounds good..i just flashed gingerbread-evo-deck...EH,to bare.lol id rather go back to CM!:) so im gonna go ahead with original plans,CM 7.0.3.1,tiamat kernel.

15. mikekelso421

None

so i flashed in this order. clean wipe,flashed CM7,gapps,Tiamat Kernel,then finally my MetroPCS_Web_MMS_Evo_AOSP_v4.zip

Everything went as smooth as eggs.lol DATA,GPS,MMS all working flawlessly.phone seems to be running VERY nicely.i know i wont see any kind of REAL difference for a day or 2,but im mostly just happy ive expanded my knowledge on flashing capabilities with my evo on METRO PCS.im kinda addicting to flashing.lol hope its not bad for the phone...

now i also noticed that my first reboot after flash was significantly faster loading up when flashing the kernel also!is that normal?any other time it was quite a while loading up on first boot.

16. mikekelso421

None

Thanks for your info OCNBRZE!! im ALREADY seeing a HUGE difference in my battery life since flashing the TIAMAT kernel!! my battery on my evo usually dropps anywhere from 3-10 percent AS SOON as i unplug it off the charger.ive only lost 2 percent in about 2 hours or a little less!and i was using wifi for like 20 min..normally i would be in the 80 percentile right now!! you have been a great help!thanks again!:cool:

ocnbrze likes this.
  17. ocnbrze

May 13, 2010
    Male
    los angeles
    Glad I could help. great job on the metropcs guide.

Tags: