• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo on sale at Virgin for $239.99

Haven't looked but I'm really hoping its not the 3d because that's CRAZY expensive for how old the phone itself is even though its somewhat new for vm

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk

I don't think you are factoring in that there is no subsidy for this phone for signing a contract -- rather you are paying full price for the phone. For the specs of the Evo 3D/Evo V, the price is about right compared to other phones full (non-subsidized) price.

As an example, while you can get the Samsung SIII for $199 with a contract from Sprint, the phone will cost you $600 if you have to buy it at a non-contract price. And if you think the Evo 3D is too much at $300, I'd hate to think of what you would make of the iPhone 4S at $650.

Reactions: DragonSlayer95
Upvote 0
why did they reduce the price ? are they trying to get rid of current stock ? what do you guys think. is there an ulterior motive for them reducing the price ?

They didn't technically reduce the price, they put it on sale. The price still shows $299, but that it is 20% off -- at least until you put it in the cart.

There is no way for us currently to know the reason for the sale: it could be that the phone isn't selling as well as they wanted, it might be that the have too many phones in inventory because they received more than expected from Sprint, or it could be they want more cash on hand and felt selling more Evo V's was the fastest way to raise more cash.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the why. It is a solid phone at a great price; a price that likely won't be equaled again until Black Friday.

Upvote 0
why did they reduce the price ? are they trying to get rid of current stock ? what do you guys think. is there an ulterior motive for them reducing the price ?

I am not surprised by this. Back to School and Black Friday often have some of the big sales for phones. My wife and I were debating whether I should buy the phone back in June or wait for back to school. I just couldn't wait. Wife was laughing at me last night (I am a notorious cheapskate) said "SEE!, you could have saved $80!! $60 on the phone plus $20 on grand fathered plan.".

!@#@!$!@%#!@!

Upvote 0
nope its just a sale and not just for that phone.boost did the same thing a week or two back but it was all phones 25% off.

like the previous poster mentioned its basically a back to school sale.this is also one of the best times for people to buy laptops especially since a lot of laptops are eligible for the windows 8 upgrade for 14.99.

Upvote 0
I don't think you are factoring in that there is no subsidy for this phone for signing a contract -- rather you are paying full price for the phone. For the specs of the Evo 3D/Evo V, the price is about right compared to other phones full (non-subsidized) price.

As an example, while you can get the Samsung SIII for $199 with a contract from Sprint, the phone will cost you $600 if you have to buy it at a non-contract price. And if you think the Evo 3D is too much at $300, I'd hate to think of what you would make of the iPhone 4S at $650.

That's all well in good, but you're comparing a HTC to a Samsung. There's a reason Samsung is leading in sales, while HTC is posting a profit loss.
Personally, I'd pay the $600 for a phone. I'd be getting what I paid for. But for all the issues associated with this phone and signal strength, I will not own another HTC product, especially since the issues were known to them beforehand and they put it out there anyway.

Upvote 0
BASTARDS!!!. I bought the phone last week and received it yesterday.
Now the phone is on sale. Would have saved me 60 bucks!! I called VM to see if I can get an adjustment, they said no.

Ship it back (I pay shipping) and you can get the refund for the phone. Then buy it online again.

Did you buy it with a credit card? If so, some card issuers offer price protection,and will refund you the difference.

Upvote 0

My fault I've never looked at vm before and assumed that was a contract price and was thinking holy **** that's expensive

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Upvote 0
Probably still not worth it because of all the reported problems. I think I'll just wait until the next nexus comes out and then buy the gnex for cheap.

What problems? Most people don't have the texting problem and if you do you just need to flash the Sprint pri. Love this phone. Don't not buy this phone because of the texting issue.

Upvote 0
That's all well in good, but you're comparing a HTC to a Samsung. There's a reason Samsung is leading in sales, while HTC is posting a profit loss.
Personally, I'd pay the $600 for a phone. I'd be getting what I paid for. But for all the issues associated with this phone and signal strength, I will not own another HTC product, especially since the issues were known to them beforehand and they put it out there anyway.

That's fine that you'd pay $600 for the Samsung vs. the $300 for the HTC. From what I've found, all mobile phone makers have bad phones and most have some very good phones. Try looking at the Samsung Galaxy Nexus forums about the Verizon version of the Nexus -- their are more complaints about that Samsung phone than about the Evo V -- to the point that people are trading it for a Motorola phone.

The Evo V is worth $300, even if it isn't worth it to you.

Upvote 0
Probably still not worth it because of all the reported problems. I think I'll just wait until the next nexus comes out and then buy the gnex for cheap.

Not sure that it will be worth waiting. The phone is already cheap at $350 for the unlocked GSM version. And there is the chance, by the time the next Nexus is released, the phone will no longer be sold in the US (due to the Apple lawsuit). Even if it is still sold, I don't believe the price will fall that much, instead I think the new Nexus will just have a higher price tag.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones