• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root EVO ONLY boots to HBOOT! HELP!!

NichoRyan

Sep 11, 2011
So I have the EVO 4G rooted with Unrevoked running Cyanogen7. The phone had been working flawlessly for a few months but suddenly the volume down button started sticking. It wasn't too bad - it would just turn the volume down by itself and hold down until I pushed the volume up button. It went away, and a couple days later, I turned my phone off - BAD move.

Now whenever I try to turn my phone on, its stuck in the HBOOT menu. Sometimes the 4/5 times I try to turn my phone on, it starts up in HBOOT and the volume buttons won't work to scroll. 1/5 times, the volume buttons DO work.

I've tried wiping, restoring, re-flashing, resetting, and EVERYTHING else I can think of but NOTHING WORKS! It always starts up in HBOOT! =[

ANYYYYY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply!

I thought the same thing too... But even after cleaning it, it did the same thing. And the fact that it boots to HBOOT even when the buttons DO work lead me to believe its not the hardware....

Maybe a bad HBoot. Could be ROM but it seems to me that its the HBoot. Next time you are successful getting into the ROM maybe click back the fast boot option. I would try to reflash the HBOOT Would be better if you could do a nandroid backup.

Reactions: NichoRyan
Upvote 0
My recovery build is: RA-supersonic-v2.3

But here is the kicker:
I left my phone alone untouched all night. This morning, I decided I'd give it one more try before I completely give up. I put my battery in, pushed the power button, and it turned ON!!! I let my phone sit for a while as I reveled in its new life. I then checked the missed voicemails and texts that have built up in the past three days. I didn't know who they were from because my SD card was formatted and my contacts were deleted. Then my stupid self goes to take out the battery so I can throw my contacts and pictures back on my SD card. When I go to turn the phone on again, it goes back to HBOOT.

WTF!?!?!?

Maybe it is a hardware problem?

Upvote 0
So I tried un-rooting using the unrevoked-forever-son.zip (Official RUU return to stock and S-ON for HTC Evo 4G)

Then I got:
E:unsupported radio version
E:Update failed. Check /sdcard/soff.log.
E.Error in /sdcard/unrevoked-forever-son.zip
(status 42)

Apparently I can't unroot my phone because its software is up to date and the .zip isn't able to make it s-on....

Now what?

Upvote 0
So I tried un-rooting using the unrevoked-forever-son.zip (Official RUU return to stock and S-ON for HTC Evo 4G)

Then I got:
E:unsupported radio version
E:Update failed. Check /sdcard/soff.log.
E.Error in /sdcard/unrevoked-forever-son.zip
(status 42)

Apparently I can't unroot my phone because its software is up to date and the .zip isn't able to make it s-on....

Now what?

you can't use unrevoked s-on because of how you originally rooted with revolutionary and because of your hboot.

go to the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html and go to the unrooting section.

Reactions: NichoRyan
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sorry this thing has been so frustrating for you. Ocn is one of the best to be on your case. I mean Seriously if I get in trouble he's the first one I'm calling.

I think at this point first thing I would do is take out the SD card and ensure it has nothing wrong with it. I would put it in card reader in windows and run a checkdisk command

Start > Run and type cmd

in Dos Box type:
chkdsk x: /f /r

replace x with the drive letter of your SD Card. If everthing is a go there you may want to try to redownload the ruu maybe it got corrupt during the download. then try it again.

I still think its a hardware issue though. IF we can get you unrooted take it back to sprint and let them exchange it. (Do you have insurance on the phone?)

Upvote 0
ZOMGGGZZZ!

I finally got S-ON!!!!

Holy eff bomb!!!

I'm definitely sure there's a hardware problem now (in addition to a potential software problem)...

As I was trying multiple sizes, brands, and classes of SD cards, I finally just kept jamming the Volume Up button while it was parsing just in case it finally went through.... And eventually it did! Now when I turn my phone 'on' it goes to the HBOOT screen and reads,

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.16.0001
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.05.02

Is it fine to take back to Sprint now?

Upvote 0
ZOMGGGZZZ!

I finally got S-ON!!!!

Holy eff bomb!!!

I'm definitely sure there's a hardware problem now (in addition to a potential software problem)...

As I was trying multiple sizes, brands, and classes of SD cards, I finally just kept jamming the Volume Up button while it was parsing just in case it finally went through.... And eventually it did! Now when I turn my phone 'on' it goes to the HBOOT screen and reads,

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.16.0001
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.05.02

Is it fine to take back to Sprint now?

As Ocn said make sure you have the stock ROM and Recovery on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones