• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO or iphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of a Sprint family plan, since you and your wife have different (and lower) requirements, why not just set up two individual plans? Wouldn't that be a more cost-effective solution for the two of you?

On the other hand, I'll say this. Last year my girlfriend and I consolidated to Sprint from other carriers and got a pair of Palm Pre's. She never had a smartphone before and she's no crazy techie/power user like I am. But with the Pre, she's now addicted and loves being able to surf, play random games, and otherwise pass idle time with her phone. Before having the Pre, she never really understood the draw but now, she doesn't ever want to go back.

Upvote 0
good thinking. but can you download torrent using 4G? 10GB of data per night, supposed.

On 4G, I don't see why not. You aren't limited on your data. I still think that the non-Sprint plan is better for your needs though. Of course, if your AT&T coverage is anything like mine, expect a lot of dropped calls, and a lot of areas where you can't even make a call.

Upvote 0
The price differences, imo, are slim. The iphone is ancient by now. I'm carrying around a rumor, so i've never been one to have a top of the line phone, but now that I have the ability to get a smart phone I can't imagine why I would get one that's been out for years as opposed to one that's top of the line the day it comes out. And although I loathe the Iphone, I'm sure you'll like either decision you make (unless you get an iphone and happen to see someone with an evo, then your heart might sink a bit).

Upvote 0
It looks...sorry dropped call....that you would...sorry dropped call again, would...dropped call...be better off...dropped call...going with...yes you know what just a happened...a...redial...t...redial...t.

Honestly. That is true. Had att a year ago. Funny story. I would get dropped from a call 9 times in 5 mins.

But heck, you are not going to use those mins, so do not worry about it.

And, only one question, how do you know your wife would not like data?

I mean really? Does she live in a cave? It seems funny that the "man" needs data and the "woman" get just a phone.

I mean, if you are looking for the bottom line money wise. Why not go with prepay.

I mean under that plan her phone would be useless. She would have no data. No text. She would get 250 mins.

And it would still cost you 89 bucks.

But if that is what...redial...you...redial...want, ok!...redial...sorry was shocked that I got the ok in...

Upvote 0
Check out Cricket Wireless.

RiverOfIce isn't kidding about the dropped calls. It's one of the reasons I'm leaving AT&T, and if you switch, you'll get tired of them REALLY quickly. Even after I drop a call, if I try to call my wife back (both of us have Iphones), it goes straight to voicemail. It should be ringing her other line!

Upvote 0
And, only one question, how do you know your wife would not like data?

Haha maybe he is afraid of what will happen...

My girlfriend was paying maybe $65-70 on Verizon for a flip phone, voice minutes, and some text. She always saw me messing with my old Palms and PPCs but claimed she "didn't want all that...just a regular phone".

When the Pre came out she was graduating from law school and her contract was up. As a gift, I ported her over to my plan and got her a new Pre. Now she is jealous that I get to upgrade a year later and when we look at other phones she claims that she would still be cool with a "less fancy" phone...but it's got to have web, pinch to zoom, gps, email, foursquare, facebook, etc.... :D

I tell her that those features are only available on the "fancy phones" and she grumps a little and says she will wait until this one breaks so she can buy a new smart phone.

Yeah I know..."cool story bro"...

My point is that these devices sell so well because once you use them, they become indispensable. When you figure she and I each pay like $60/month for our share of the family plan after discounts for all the minutes we could possibly use and unlimited everything else, it just makes sense. She pays less now than when she was on Verizon and she has the added benefits of a smart phone for reference, communication, and entertainment.

Upvote 0
from what upgrading to the hero on my plan says is that all it needs is unlimited data

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m441/Ghost__Flame/andriod.jpg

Sometimes people confuse the $100 everything plan with all the other minutes-plus-everything-else plans.

The main thing is no SERO or the old Free and Clear plans, etc. They have been moving people to the new tiered system over the past couple of years as data becomes a bigger deal. Likewise in a few more years we may see new tiers again as 4G changes the landscape and everything goes over IP.

Upvote 0
Sometimes people confuse the $100 everything plan with all the other minutes-plus-everything-else plans.

The main thing is no SERO or the old Free and Clear plans, etc. They have been moving people to the new tiered system over the past couple of years as data becomes a bigger deal. Likewise in a few more years we may see new tiers again as 4G changes the landscape and everything goes over IP.

i don't know SERO.

but yea the local sprint dealer didn't know the difference either

Upvote 0
i don't know SERO.

but yea the local sprint dealer didn't know the difference either

SERO was a promotional price plan that was heavily discounted. It started as a plan only for Sprint employee referrals but eventually the details were spread around the net and tons of people were paying like $20-30 a month for thousands of minutes and unlimited data, etc. In order to get people off those kinds of plans and on to the new tiers, they made them a requirement for the newer smart phones.

I don't want to get too far off topic but you can find out all about that stuff in the Sprint subforum and on sites like Sprintusers.

Long story short, outside of a few new promotional plans that are the spiritual successors of SERO, you will have the option of either $70/90/100 for individual plans and $130/170/190 for family plans.

All of these have unlimited data and text and navigation since those are sort of necessary on the newer smart phones to get the most out of them.

The only real difference is how many weekday landline minutes you get.

Eventually this will all be moot as they do away with minutes and just sell blocks of usage by gigabyte or whatever.

Upvote 0
Long story short, outside of a few new promotional plans that are the spiritual successors of SERO, you will have the option of either $70/90/100 for individual plans and $130/170/190 for family plans.

All of these have unlimited data and text and navigation since those are sort of necessary on the newer smart phones to get the most out of them.

The only real difference is how many weekday landline minutes you get.

all of these plans bundle too many stuff that I don't need. I don't need text, I don't need navigation? why pay for navigation monthly when google offer for free? NFL and TV junks. Sprint uses all of these stuff to justify their high price.

Like cable/satellite companies, 250-channel package has only a few worth-watching channels. Media company sells 15-song CD which has only 1 good song.

Upvote 0
all of these plans bundle too many stuff that I don't need. I don't need text, I don't need navigation? why pay for navigation monthly when google offer for free? NFL and TV junks. Sprint uses all of these stuff to justify their high price.

Like cable/satellite companies, 250-channel package has only a few worth-watching channels. Media company sells 15-song CD which has only 1 good song.

Or maybe what you're looking for VERY few consumers these days want. Sprint plans are MORE than competitive with the other cell companies.

Upvote 0
Sprint plans are MORE than competitive with the other cell companies.

That was what I thought until I calculate from sprint and ATT sites based on my situation.

ATT 550 minutes family plan: $60
iphone Data plan: $30
employee discount 17%: -$15
Total/month: $74

Sprint Everything Data family 1500: $130
employee discount 10%: -$13
Total/month: $117

Sprint costs $43 more. again, I don't need 1500 minutes and only need data on one phone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones