• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO Owners -> X Owners

I refused to be an HTC beta tester so I returned my two Evos. DX here I come! $120 / mo? That's how much I'm paying for a family plan for two DXs.

You pay 60$ a month on each phone? No way...with unlimited data, texting etc? When I compared the 2 bills with what I have with Sprint, Ver would have been about 120 a month after tax (now with that said it isn't right to compare the two outright bc like I said my friend who works at Sprint gave me a work plan)

Upvote 0
You pay 60$ a month on each phone? No way...with unlimited data, texting etc? When I compared the 2 bills with what I have with Sprint, Ver would have been about 120 a month after tax (now with that said it isn't right to compare the two outright bc like I said my friend who works at Sprint gave me a work plan)

Yeah seriously, I need to know what I need to do to get a bill that cheap.

Upvote 0
Thank god for Sprint's 30 day no cost return policy am I right? :D

That policy is a JOKE! I had major hardware and software issues with my Evo as well as reception issues at home. After almost a month of trying to get another Evo (always out of stock) and an Airave(they sent me a broken one) I downloaded the update and it bricked my phone!

I sent everything back just before my 30 days and even though I paid my first bill and for my equipment on my debit card Sprint will be sending me a CHECK! Also it is going to take up to 3 MONTHS! I have been fighting with them for 11 days now EVERYDAY!

They are doing this because I bought it online and returned it through UPS, If I bought it in store they would have credited my debit card right there. I used to work in the cellular industry and I KNOW THIS PROCESS IS BULL CRAP! Every time I give Sprint a chance they screw me! I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO SPRINT!!!

I get a good discount at Verizon and even though I think they are evil I would rather use them because personally they have never mistreated me even though they are a bit pricey I have unlimited everything on my old Droid for $95 a month thanks to the discounts. I cannot wait for the Droid X or Samsung Fascinate!

SPRINT DESERVES TO FAIL! This is the third time I have went back to them and the third time they have severely disappointed me. From rude CSR's to totally unknowledgeable supervisors. I WILL NEVER GO BACK!

Upvote 0
That policy is a JOKE! I had major hardware and software issues with my Evo as well as reception issues at home. After almost a month of trying to get another Evo (always out of stock) and an Airave(they sent me a broken one) I downloaded the update and it bricked my phone!

I sent everything back just before my 30 days and even though I paid my first bill and for my equipment on my debit card Sprint will be sending me a CHECK! Also it is going to take up to 3 MONTHS! I have been fighting with them for 11 days now EVERYDAY!

They are doing this because I bought it online and returned it through UPS, If I bought it in store they would have credited my debit card right there. I used to work in the cellular industry and I KNOW THIS PROCESS IS BULL CRAP! Every time I give Sprint a chance they screw me! I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO SPRINT!!!

I get a good discount at Verizon and even though I think they are evil I would rather use them because personally they have never mistreated me even though they are a bit pricey I have unlimited everything on my old Droid for $95 a month thanks to the discounts. I cannot wait for the Droid X or Samsung Fascinate!

SPRINT DESERVES TO FAIL! This is the third time I have went back to them and the third time they have severely disappointed me. From rude CSR's to totally unknowledgeable supervisors. I WILL NEVER GO BACK!

I had the same problem with the 30 day deal!!!!!!!! They told me the same thing, I would have to wait a month before I get my check!!! Thats BS if you ask me. I came in and paid CASH. I think I should be able to get my cash back at the store.

Upvote 0
It is a Sprint thing! The carrier I worked for did not do this nor any other carrier I have returned a phone to. SPRINT IS TRYING TO LOSE CUSTOMERS IN MY OPINION!

Reading under your username, your from jeannette?
Are you familiar with California University????
I am considering transferring there but i have heard alot
of negative things about them....

and well sprint does have a rep for being kind of sucky with customer service lol

Upvote 0
Reading under your username, your from jeannette?
Are you familiar with California University????
I am considering transferring there but i have heard alot
of negative things about them....

and well sprint does have a rep for being kind of sucky with customer service lol

California University? I've never heard of that and I'm from California. lol

Upvote 0
I have having a very tough time deciding which device to get. I have watched many videos and looked over many threads and am still left wondering. I have no contract with Sprint or Verizon. In fact I will be returning my iphone 4 to ATT and buying out my contract there in order to switch.

I have read all the concerns of a locked bootloader on the X. I was very much Pro Jailbreak with all of my iPhone devices and am hoping to get some of the same freedoms with my new device. If I were to go with the X and it is never cracked open. What limitations will I encounter?

Thank you in advance

Reactions: Gamble
Upvote 0
I have having a very tough time deciding which device to get. I have watched many videos and looked over many threads and am still left wondering. I have no contract with Sprint or Verizon. In fact I will be returning my iphone 4 to ATT and buying out my contract there in order to switch.

I have read all the concerns of a locked bootloader on the X. I was very much Pro Jailbreak with all of my iPhone devices and am hoping to get some of the same freedoms with my new device. If I were to go with the X and it is never cracked open. What limitations will I encounter?

Thank you in advance

I'd go with whoever provided the best service in your area. If you are in a 4G area then you would be able to take advantage of faster data speeds, but if not, then network should be priority and perhaps plan price second. Both phones are good and similar.

As far as limitations for excryption? Well no custom Roms and other enhancements, but it would maybe still get rooted so you could do some things (remove system apps, over/underclock, wifi tether) but time would only tell.

Reactions: Bones424
Upvote 0
Can't go wrong with the EVO. DX seems impressive though.

even though i am getting an X. and was a serious modder on winmo and rooted and loaded a few roms on android....the X isnt for you.
only because it appears it will be no modding out the box.
THOUGH, it not alot of security that hasnt been cracked. as it is right now, it will be a while before the X is cracked.
so, out the box so u can get to modding now...EVO. although...android out the box will do ALOT!!

Upvote 0
I'm just going to copy/paste a post that I wrote on this topic in the Android Lounge:

Check this benchmark video comparing the EVO and X on 2.1, and a Nexus One on 2.2 aka Froyo.

Some of the things that the EVO has that the Droid X doesn't:

- front facing camera: Ask yourself realistically how much you'd actually use it if you consider this an advantage.
- Sense UI: Some love it, some hate it. Overall the UI is great and the general consensus likes it.
- WiMax aka 4G coverage: While not true 4G, it is fast but is only in a few areas at the moment. It noticeably drains the battery when in use.
- Can be rooted and custom ROMs can be flashed: If you don't know the benefits to this, check elsewhere on this forum.
- The EVO can be overclocked to 1.? Ghz, while overclocking for the Droid X is currently unknown. The Droid X may have an encrypted bootloader, which means it can be rooted but custom ROMs may not be able to be flashed.

Some things the Droid X has that the EVO doesn't:

- Faster and more powerful CPU and GPU. 1Ghz OMAP outclasses the 1Ghz Snapdragon. Reference the benchmark test.
- Thinner overall. Even though the Droid X is slightly longer than the EVO, it is noticeably thinner. Anyone that's held both of them says the X feels alot smaller, even though it's actually slightly longer than the EVO.
- It DOES NOT have Motoblur. This is proven in our own Phandroid review, Motorola's website, Phonearena review, etc. It has Moto Widgets, that can be resized. If you like Sense, you can simulate it with apps like Launcher Pro, Beautiful Widgets, etc.
- Long battery life. The Droid X has a longer lasting battery than the EVO. It has been reported to have a talk time of 9 hours 30 minutes by phonearena: Motorola DROID X MB810 Review (Phone Arena Reviews)

With all of that said, both of the phones are at the top of the class. I would base my decision mostly off of the coverage for Spint vs Verizon in your area. None of this makes a difference if you can't make a phone call. At the current pace, both of the phones will be outclassed by Winter anyway. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones