• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo Problem - Missing Email

Evofun19

Lurker
Nov 1, 2010
I am new with my Evo phone and Android OS. I have my email set up to sync, over the air, using Activsync with my work Exchange server. I think the server is Exchange Server 2003. Phone says 2.2 out of the box. We are small company with very little IT support by way of an outside contractor, so I am looking for some help.

Problem - Missing emails? I am having strange, and re-curring, apparently random missing emails from my inbox. Most of the emails are there and it appears all is working fine. Until, I try to look up a specific email on my phone, and it is just not there. The email is still there in my inbox in my exchange account, as they are still showing up on my computer and OWA to my account. Very strange, and I would not notice it except when looking for a particular email, and it is not on my phone. I have been using a Windows based phone for several years now, and have never seen this problem before. Very tought to do my job when out making sales calls with some of the emails missing. The missing emails appear random and in the middle of dates and sizes, no connection that I have been able to determine by date or size. The list of emails matches up with my computer inbox, except a few missing emails here and there?

I have done some quick searches on this forum and around the internet, but I have not found this issue anywhere yet. Probably something silly a newbie is missing, but any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

We have an Exchange 2003 Server here at work with two Android users now (mine is on my Exchange 2007 Server at home). They've never reported problems like this. Here are a couple of things you can try:

1. Reboot the Exchange Server. Once it's back up, your phone should sync again. Check for previously missing messages.

2. Check to see if your Exchange 2003 server has Service Pack 2 for Exchange installed. Open Exchange System Manager, expand Servers, right-click on the server, Properties. If it's not installed, install it after doing a backup.

3. I'm guessing your Exchange server is running on Windows 2003 Server. If so, check to see if it has Service Pack 2 installed as well (different from the Exchange SP2). Right-click on My Computer on the server, then Properties. If it's not installed, install it after doing a backup.

Upvote 0
i have the same issue with my evo, except i'm not using exchange. just an "over the air" connection to my pop/smtp servers.

i just replaced my stock sd card yesterday with another one, and i now have everything in my inbox that has arrived since the time of the replacement. i'm curious if it has something to do with that?

Upvote 0
That is a possibility as well. Media fails all of the time but I haven't read too much about bad stock cards (more on new ones). I'm not exactly sure where the MAIL data is stored. I assumed it was in the main memory since there are limitation settings on the client to minimize space. Attachments cache can optionally be stored on the card (external), tho.

He could try to format the card on the phone (after making an optional backup of it).

Upvote 0
Ok. I will work on these suggestions. A couple of newbie questions.

With some of the necessary files, folders, etc needed on the sd card for this phone to operate correctly, do I need to copy the contents of the current card back to a new card or newly formatted card? Might this possibly just continue to create the same error?

If I wanted to buy a new sd card, do I have to copy any files and folders to the card prior to installing and using the new sd card? Or, will the necessary files/folders be re-created on the sd card, once it is inserted?

Thank you again.

Upvote 0
From what I've been reading, the Android OS does use the card but mostly to cache information. Reformatting the card should not affect the OS in general.

However, if you've used an Apps2SD app or manually moved apps to the SD card, that would cause problems if you just reformatted.

I would plug your phone into your PC and copy all of the files in the folder. Then disconnect and format the card from the phone. Once you've done that, copy the files back. There is a chance you'll be copying back a corrupted file causing the problem, but I would say odds are low.

When I got a 16GB Class 6 card to replace my stock, I copied the files off of the old card then on to the new one and I didn't have any problems. Besides, it's not a bad idea to make a copy of everything on the SD card once in a while. I have other files like backed up ROMs, etc. that I don't want to lose.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones