• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo Rebooting on its own

Hello everyone, my first post here.

I first got my evo at the end of oct 2010 and experienced my first re-boot at the end of january. I remember I was using the navigation when it happend. It re-booted and everything worked fine. Every so ofter I would get 1-2 reboots during the work. I am not a heavy user by any means, but do my share of txts and youtube.

Fast forward to end of may, I was on vacation in Maryland using the navigation feature and while driving it started rebooting for like 30 min straight, by then I was 30 miles from where I was supposed to be, lots of exits and not sure where to go. I was really frustrated at that point. After that, worked fine, no reboots.

Well now to this Saturday night, it rebooted for a good 45 minutes straight, so I took out the battery, waited about 30 min, put it back in, and once again reboot for another 30 min straight. Sometimes it would start the reboot at the '4G' splash screen and other times was as soon as the phone loaded.

Finally got pissed off and kept it off overnight. Sunday comes I turn it on and it works fine for about 2 hrs then it started rebooting it for 2 hrs straight.

Because of my work schedule (graveyard shifts) and the nearest Sprint repair store an hour away, I call Sprint and they just refered me to the nearest store and gave me a eticket #.

During the next day, I turned it on and let it reboot for 4 hrs straight. Ridicious!

I finally get to the store Tuesday morning after a loooooooooong shift and only 4 hours of sleep. I turned the phone on prior to my arrival and once again the rebooting starts. I walk in and show the csr my phone, she wrote some notes and looked up my eticket, took my phone and told me to come back in 1.5 hrs so the tech can look at it.

I leave and when I return, guess what, the phone is working. She stated all they did was a hard reset and everything should be fine. Well, she was correct, for about 3 hrs then it started the rebooting again. Argh!...what a hassle!

So today I turn it on again and this time it wont go past the HTC EVO screen and I leave it that way for the hour trip. I walk in and the same csr was working and I showed it to her and said she would be right back so she could talk to the tech.

Well she returns and states that she will be ordering me a brand new evo for $35 (i didnt have insurance). I gladly paid.

In the mean time they managed to get it working again, gave me a new batter at no charge, plus a new evo that should be here around Saturday, if they are in stock.

As of this post, I have not had a single reboot with the new battery, so who knows.

Maybe it was just a battery issue mixed with the heat? They did say my battery was 'bloated'.

Curious to see if they are sending me a brand new evo or just a refurb. Anyway to find out once i get it if it new or refurb?

There is hope. Just be persistant and show them your phone as it rebooting at the time u go to the store.

Sprint did good to me, and others from what I read, with the $35 replacement fee. It appears as they are taking responsiblity from something that is probably an HTC defect.

Upvote 0
This started happening to my evo 3d today, I was outside using the wifi to stream pandora. I was cleaning my truck and had a pair of bluetooth headphones on. Battery temp hit 106 and the phone rebooted over and over. Put in freezer until the temp went down to 85. I had an otterbox case, took case off and has been working flawlessly. This happend to my t-mobile 4g and I found that car chargers do not have an automatic cut off for when the battery is full and the battery gets overcharged, making the batter defective. I replaced the battery on my tmo 4g and made sure I did not overcharge the battery and that solved the issue, I am going into Sprint later today to get a new battery and see if that solves the problem before I get a new phone. I just switched to Sprint on tuesday after being with tmobile for 9 years hahaha.

Upvote 0
Update to my issues in April - my new EVO has only rebooted on it's own once since then. My first EVO obviously had a glitch.

Side note - my wife's EVO was dropped in the toilet. I pulled the battery and put it on our deck (in the sun) for a day or two. Works 100% now. Better results than putting it in rice etc. Maybe the 'oven method' works....;)

Upvote 0
This was my phone's first time rebooting. I was asleep at maybe 3:31 am and my phone was locked, sitting next to me charging. And then I heard the boot-up sound. It wasn't overheating or anything, and I'm going to check the "mobile network always on" box in Settings after this. I'm afraid it'll reboot while I'm posting this, by the look of your cases! I rarely make calls (I'm 12) and if I do they're short and my phone doesn't have a problem. Does this necessarily exclude calls from the culprits? I hope you guys get good results.
(by the way, I'm still shivering from the reboot sound scaring me.)

Upvote 0
I have been experiencing the same problem. Happens intermittently, but is such a pain in the butt.

Doesn't matter what I am doing. Doesn't matter the app. I do notice the battery gets hot all the sudden though. I went and got a replacement battery, but it still does it.

Am going to go to see about getting a replacement phone. Either that or give me my May upgrade right now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones