1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root EVO Root Help?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chasethestorm, May 1, 2012.

1. chasethestorm

chasethestorm Lurker
    None

May 1, 2012
    worker/student
    Oklahoma
    I recently switched back to the EVO 4G. And I must say I'm still just as impressed with it as I was when it first came out. My problem is rooting. I was curious if there was anyone I could go to for help. I have no idea what I'm doing. I want to root my phone to acquire the mobile hotspot feature. I also don't want to have a watermark as not to avoid my warranty. I also would like to tech the EVO out as much as possible. I really want to learn all this but there is too much "online" knowledge that gets confusing. Again, any help?

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i would use this guide here to get you rooted:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

just keep in mind that either the captain's method or taco root is a little more complicated, but they will allow you to fully root your phone. so please read the guide well before attempting to root your phone and please feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Granite1 likes this.
  3. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Male
    East Tawas, MI
    Let us know if you get snagged.

4. chasethestorm

chasethestorm Lurker
    None

May 1, 2012
    worker/student
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for your swift responses. I'm a bit "not sure if concerned is the right word" about the many different ROM's, and OS's that I can install. Could someone help explain the options to me? My friend says that you can technically have many different boots or OS's on your phone and anytime you feel like it you may switch the OS however it erases all your apps so that's why titanium backup is recommended.

5. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Olathe, KS
    Yeah the ROM is pretty much like an operating system. There is an app called Boot Manager that will allow you to save multiple roms at the same time in bootable form. You really should have a higher class SD card to run something like that though. But you're right, that's why Titanium is a useful app....it will backup your apps to your SD card, so you can flash a new rom and just restore all your apps back to where you were. It's definitely worth a purchase of the Pro version. I held out for a long time without purchasing, but now I don't know how I ever lived without it.

6. chasethestorm

chasethestorm Lurker
    None

May 1, 2012
    worker/student
    Oklahoma
    What do you mean by that? And is the Pro version available on the android market or something?

7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    SD cards have different classes based on how fast they can be read from and written to. A higher class (6-10) is recommended if you partition because the phone will be reading from it and writing to it as if it were an internal part of the phone. If the SD card is the limiting factor it will slow the phone down.

Granite1 likes this.
  8. chasethestorm

chasethestorm Lurker
    None

May 1, 2012
    worker/student
    Oklahoma
    Does brand have any choice in the matter? As I use Scan Disk. And its a 16gb card.

9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Brands don't really matter, as each manufacturer will make different speed cards.

Super cheap brands tend to go bad fast though

Tags: