1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

EVO root question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ualpow, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ualpow

ualpow Newbie

After researching the EPIC, SHIFT and The EVO, I decided on the EVO and did the unrevoked root. I upgraded from a HERO which i had rooted and put cyanogen ROM on. That ROM really helped my HERO but the EVO seems so much faster and smoother on it's stock ROM. I have two questions that I couldn't find clear answers to.
    1. Is unrevoked not a true root, and does this matter?
    2. Are the improvements worth the bugs for the EVO ROM's?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

1) The first versions of unrevoked only did one thing, and that was to root the current ROM. It allowed the user to run root only apps, such as wifi tether. Unrevoked, now is a full root solution - it gives you a custom recovery, it gives you s-off, and it roots your current ROM. It matters because it allows you to flash custom ROMs and do other various updates. If it rooted the ROM only, as it used to do, you wouldn't be able to flash ROMs. You could only run root only apps.

2) If you stick with most Sense ROMs, there really aren't any bugs to speak of. They are based on the stock Sense ROM, so everything still works. Naturally, there can be issues here and there, but they're almost always fixed as they're found. If you go with an AOSP ROM (based on Google source), then you'll have some bugs. The reason is that developers have had to find ways to make it work without using any of HTC's Sense code. Stuff like hdmi and 4g doesn't quite work yet. 4g is in alpha, though.

ualpow likes this.
  3. rdmpe

rdmpe Lurker

I thought I read that Unrevoked didn't work with boot loader 2.20, it's that correct? Sorry wrong thread...

4. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert

There's hboot 2.20? To my knowledge, unless I'm mistaken, the latest hboot version is 2.10; and that's rootable using unrevoked's one click method.

5. rdmpe

rdmpe Lurker

Maybe I need to check my version again lol :/

6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Lol, yeah the latest version is hboot 2.10, and unrevoked is compatible with all versions up to 2.10. Granted, hboot 2.10 (through the OTA) was release a good month before unrevoked got an update to root it, so you probably read something from during that period.

7. rdmpe

rdmpe Lurker

ok it was 2.02 that I read some things changed and unrevoked didn't work but that must have been old info. My ver is 2.1. TKS

8. ualpow

ualpow Newbie

Do you think unrEVOked has anything to do with my extremely slow 3G speeds? My hero used to crank on Cyanogen even using wireless tether. I have tried the proxy fix, data and profile reset, changed my SID to Chicago from Kansas City. I have not tried a new ROM or radio or kernel yet.
    If I am hijacking my own thread, I apologize.

9. frenchy714

Rooting your phone using unrevoked has nothing to do with your 3g signals. I would start by updating your PRL and PROFILE, then update your radio/pri/nv if you're running a ROM based on the newest OTA update (3.70xxxx). You can find the all in one update here:

[ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers[ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

10. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User

update your radios...THEN update your data profile and PRL...

rather ..update your radios THEN
    ##3282# Edit, Enter MSL, Data Profile, Menu, Restore. It will update profile AND prl.

Realistically, we should be recommending folks do it that forced manual method...which also updates the prl

11. frenchy714

Thank you for catching that and checking me on my mistake. :D

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews