• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo rooted, stock rom issue I need help

antonio8

Jun 14, 2010
I was doing an app update in the market when my phone rebooted. Now all the apps on my sd card will not show up. The music and a few videos will play, but all my apps are not there. The icons on my screens have a generic picture and when I click on them a message says "The linked program is no longer installed on your phone"

i have reformatted the card and no go. Some times when I reseat the card it works like normal but no apps will install or update. And If I turn the phone off and back on, the generic icons are back and the sd card is not reading again.

So do I need to unroot and reboot the phone to stock again the reroot? Or any ideas how to fix this.

that is weird, maybe your sd card is corrupted or bad. are you on a stock card? do you have any nandroid backups on your sd card? try the backups and see how they are running. as for unrooting i would not do it just yet.

Non stock card. It does work in my computer and laptop.

How can I access the nandroid backup? Titanium back up and astro was moved to the sd card so my phone will not load them. Hopefully I do have a nandroid backup.

Upvote 0
It sounds like the directory .android_secure is corrupt on the card. You said you formatted the card. Did you backup your stuff that was on the card, first? The thing is, when you use froyo apps2sd, if something happens to that directory, or the card in general, the system still thinks the apps are installed, as part of the app must stay on internal storage (I won't go into detail here). How many apps did you have on the card? Also, what recovery do you have? If you don't know, I'm going to guess it's clockwork. Did you ever actually make a nandroid backup?

Upvote 0
Yes moved everything from the card to a hard drive on the computer. Over 50 apps on the card.
Recovery? Titanium backup. Hope that is a recovery.
Nandroid back up? I thought titanium backup did that.
I have no idea what the sprint stock rom is called. I never flashed a custom rom. I just ran unrevoked to root the phone.

Sorry this is my first android phone. I do well with windows so I thought I would give android a shot and rooting sounded good. If I have to start over I am ok. That is how I learned windows over the years. Trial and error.

Upvote 0
A nandroid backup is something you do in recovery. Titanium backup is an app, and doesn't do do a full backup of the system. You must have Clockwork recovery, so the only two ways you might have made a nandroid backup would either have been through ROM manager (the backup option) or reboot into recovery (turn the phone off, then turn it back on while pressing and holding volume down to get to hboot, then select recovery). It sounds like you didn't do that. If your .android_secure directory is corrupt, you'll need to delete it, then move an app to the card, or install an app from the market to recreate it. You should be able to install apps from the market just fine at that point, though. Unfortunately, you'll need to reinstall all the apps you had on the card. It's tedious, but go to manage applications, then go to the tab for apps on the card. You'll see the apps that were on the card. Just uninstall them, then reinstall them.

Once you've got everything back to normal, go to the rooting for dummies guide (the sticky in this section), and read up on nandroid backups. You have some reading to do :).

Upvote 0
Koni's Elite sounds like what you are looking for. You still keep Sense. All radios still work. Its pretty much what the stock rom is but (wet dreamed) if you will. Everything is better to me. Plus I put a Toast kernel on top of it to overclock and I have noticed way better battery life plus the phone is blazing fast now.

[GPL][Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, Stable: 4.3.1 Beta: 4.3.2 - xda-developers (Kernel)

[ROM][ACS] Koni's ELITE Series II - (ES2 - 02/25/11) - It's the Art of Speed!!! - xda-developers (Koni's)

how to flash a rom on htc evo - Google Search

Upvote 0
Alright I think that I am completely screwed.

I was just going to unroot and restart over. BUT I read that before unrooting that I needed to unfreeze any apps with titanium backup. Again I can't get it to run since it is coming on.

Also it says doing a factory reset (power and volume - (going into the menu this way)) will not unroot it.

I am afraid to try anything. What should I do besides pray.

Edit: Did I also mention that it will not detect my phone as a disk drive now?

Upvote 0
i'm not sure i understand what is going on with titanium backup. can you get into it? if anything maybe you can try and go to an older nandroid backup.

In a nutshell, any app that was moved to the sd card will not load or work.

If I click the up arrow to see my apps the only thing that shows are apps on the phone internal memory.

If I go into settings then apps and look at the apps on the sd card that way, I get the names of apps and a generic icon of the apps.

I did not do a nandroid backup before or after rooting. I am proud to say I am a noob with android.

I just want to know how to start over with a complete install.

Upvote 0
If your .android_secure directory is corrupt, you'll need to delete it, then move an app to the card, or install an app from the market to recreate it. You should be able to install apps from the market just fine at that point, though. Unfortunately, you'll need to reinstall all the apps you had on the card. It's tedious, but go to manage applications, then go to the tab for apps on the card. You'll see the apps that were on the card. Just uninstall them, then reinstall them.

Once you've got everything back to normal, go to the rooting for dummies guide (the sticky in this section), and read up on nandroid backups. You have some reading to do :).

have you tried what akazabam has mentioned? or you can reformat the card and flash another rom? i don't think that you have to unroot your phone. doing a full wipe and flash or re-flash a rom should do the trick.

don't forget to make a nandroid backup as well.

Upvote 0
have you tried what akazabam has mentioned? or you can reformat the card and flash another rom? i don't think that you have to unroot your phone. doing a full wipe and flash or re-flash a rom should do the trick.

don't forget to make a nandroid backup as well.

I tried what akazabam said but if I turn the phone off and turn it back on the apps are gone again.

So how do I do the full wipe?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I deleted the secure folder and then downloaded a new app. I then tried moving the apps from my compter back to the secure folder. It did not work.

Then I deleted it again and downloaded an app. Went to the settings-apps-sd card download. Deleted about 10 apps and redownloaded. Turned phone off then on to see if they were there. Again they did not show up in the "app home screen".

I'll just do a full wipe and start over.

Lesson learned. Do a nandroid backup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones