• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo Shift Gingerbread Root/hboot downgrade

crump

Feb 11, 2011
Alabama
UPDATE: You can now downgrade your hboot and use the old froyo root method.

Hboot information and downgrading - xda-developers

The steps include

1. Temp root using Fr3vo
2. Exploit the hboot with the misc.img
3. RUU back to froyo
4. Root using the Froyo method

EDIT: This method is primarily for 2.3.3.. If you are running 2.3.4 check this thread Root and downgrade for Android 2.3.4 {Script included - ShiftySonofA script dl added) - xda-developers

Also here's a "how to" for rooting.. [VIDEO GUIDE] FULL S-OFF ROOT for Evo SHIFT. Froyo (2.2) + Gingerbread (2.3.3+2.3.4) - xda-developers *The method mentioned for 2.3.4 will void your warranty* I would suggest the above script..

Good luck :D

hay i would have posted this in the xda fourm but it wont let me because i am a new user.

i had success up till the bootloader. when my evo shift is temp rooted the bootloader doesnt work. if i try the vol down+pwr option nothing happens. it boots normally. if i try adb reboot recovery then it reboots with the error (explanation in triangle thing). then when my device reboots normally i loose temroot but i can boot in recovery. but when i go to fastboot>>>bootloader it says that it is loading the pg06img.zip but there is no image. can you help me out? if you could also get this in the xda downgrade thread that would be extreamly helpful too

edit:scratch that! downgrade working. i have no clue why hboot failed but ruu worked like a charm!

Upvote 0
I've been reading over n over how to downgrade And all to bad it's not n00b friendly lol wish there was a youtube vid I'd be able to confidently do it if I saw it done, quess sum of the terminology is like spanish to me lol where could I go to learn the basics? Till then I think I'm going to attempt to downgrade later today. Wish me luck!

Upvote 0
I've been reading over n over how to downgrade And all to bad it's not n00b friendly lol wish there was a youtube vid I'd be able to confidently do it if I saw it done, quess sum of the terminology is like spanish to me lol where could I go to learn the basics? Till then I think I'm going to attempt to downgrade later today. Wish me luck!

Really just from reading it the hardest part is getting temp root. Once you have that it should be smooth sailing. After you get temp root just put the misc.img and the PG06100.zip on the Root of you sd, then just type the command Scary posted while in adb shell or in terminal emulator. Once you've done that boot into bootloader and it will automatically recognize the PG06100.zip and ask you if you want to update. That will downgrade your bootloader and allow you to follow the froyo root method. One thing to note, sometimes bootloader won't recognize the zip unless you sd card is formatted to fat32. So it may be a good idea to go ahead and reformat your card, just make sure you make a backup of your card on your pc cause formatting it will erase the cards contents.

Btw, agrabren is working with the Shift to make it rootable through revolutionary.

Android forums really needs to be compatible with Tapatalk!

Reactions: barberboy
Upvote 0
Really just from reading it the hardest part is getting temp root. Once you have that it should be smooth sailing. After you get temp root just put the misc.img and the PG06100.zip on the Root of you sd, then just type the command Scary posted while in adb shell or in terminal emulator. Once you've done that boot into bootloader and it will automatically recognize the PG06100.zip and ask you if you want to update. That will downgrade your bootloader and allow you to follow the froyo root method. One thing to note, sometimes bootloader won't recognize the zip unless you sd card is formatted to fat32. So it may be a good idea to go ahead and reformat your card, just make sure you make a backup of your card on your pc cause formatting it will erase the cards contents.

Btw, agrabren is working with the Shift to make it rootable through revolutionary.

Yeah I think the terminology discourages me even to try first off then after re reading several 100 times It starts to make since, sooooooo since I'm already temp rooted all I would need to do is move the misc.img and PG06100.zip file to my sd card? Then after that use the old root method?

Upvote 0
Yeah I think the terminology discourages me even to try first off then after re reading several 100 times It starts to make since, sooooooo since I'm already temp rooted all I would need to do is move the misc.img and PG06100.zip file to my sd card? Then after that use the old root method?

Once you put them on the root of your sd card you'll need to follow this step

3. Modify the misc partition to bypass the version check, type the following in an adb shell or a terminal emulator on your phone.
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
]

Basically just run that cmd through adb shell or through the terminal emulator
application. Then you'll boot into hboot and it should recognize the PG06100.zip (check my other post if it does not) that is the ruu which brings you back to froyo with the old bootloader... Then you ready to move on to rooting.

PM me over at xda (crump84) if you have any other questions. I say over there because I get pm's pushed to my phone from the XDA App.

Reactions: barberboy
Upvote 0

hi crump. Im having a problem. I already got the temp root out of the way. and i put misc.img and the PG06100.zip in the root of my sd. i went into app market and downloaded a program called "terminal emulator". I put in this code "
dd if=/sdcard/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 then i got the message:/dev/block/mmcblk017: cannot open for write: permission denied.

is this normal?? what is supposed to happen?? how do i boot into boot loader?? Im so confused and lost. please help. thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
hi crump. Im having a problem. I already got the temp root out of the way. and i put misc.img and the PG06100.zip in the root of my sd. i went into app market and downloaded a program called "terminal emulator". I put in this code "
dd if=/sdcard/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 then i got the message:/dev/block/mmcblk017: cannot open for write: permission denied.

is this normal?? what is supposed to happen?? how do i boot into boot loader?? Im so confused and lost. please help. thanks in advance!

I already answered your question over at xda... :D

Upvote 0
Ok I've done this before PLENTY of times with this method trust me crump knows lol. Any way I'm trying to down grade back to froyo using the method in this link Hboot information and downgrading - xda-developers Everything was ok till i figured out I had to format my sd card to fat32. So after I did that I placed fre3vo back to the root of my phone and continued to "temp" root the way I have before with the method Stuke00 has here: EVO Shift Temp Root for 2.3.3 and HBoot Downgrade - xda-developers
All goes well like I remembered untill i get to the step where I put in the eight F's In the cmd window it says scanning region alot of times down the screen then it gives me the $ prompt where I proceed to: adb push Superuser3-beta1.apk /data/app/ Then it tells me adb permission denied. I re booted my phone and tried again resulting in the same outcome. Somebody PLEASE help me out. I'm so close yet so far I've got loads of help from crump but he instructed me that temp root is kinda a grey area so I'm reaching out here for additional help. Thanks in advance because I know somebody got my back

Upvote 0
I cant for the life of me figure this downgrading gb 2.3 back to froyo. I followed the steps in these two guides:EVO Shift Temp Root for 2.3.3 and HBoot Downgrade - xda-developers root) and Hboot information and downgrading - xda-developers (dwn grade n full root) everytime I get to the part after I enter:

I disable fast boot turn off my phone and go into Hboot. After I select hboot it just tells me NO IMAGE OR WRONG IMAGE....
stressin me out smh. I then try the ruu tool and I get a error msg to check the usb did that PLENTY of times with no avail
what gives?

Upvote 0
I cant for the life of me figure this downgrading gb 2.3 back to froyo. I followed the steps in these two guides:EVO Shift Temp Root for 2.3.3 and HBoot Downgrade - xda-developers root) and Hboot information and downgrading - xda-developers (dwn grade n full root) everytime I get to the part after I enter:

I disable fast boot turn off my phone and go into Hboot. After I select hboot it just tells me NO IMAGE OR WRONG IMAGE....
stressin me out smh. I then try the ruu tool and I get a error msg to check the usb did that PLENTY of times with no avail
what gives?

I just moved this thread over here as it pertains to the downgrade for root.

New threads are great, but I think your question is answered above.;)

Upvote 0

what gives?

i know you formatted one of your sd cards to fat32, have you tried a different card. I know Scary mentioned that his 16gb card wasn't detected by hboot even after formatted. I think that's probably the issue as far as the PG06img.zip not being recognized.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones