• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root EVO Shows "qualcomm cdma technologies msm" when connected to PC

phxfireguy

Sep 12, 2011
When pluging into my PC I get a new hardware pop up and "qualcomm cdma technologies msm" is what it shows as the device rather than "Android Phone". I just unrooted the phone with the latest stock RUU and everthing else seems to be OK, but with the way it is I cannot use HTC Sync. My other HTC EVO works perfectly. Any ideas?

Unlocked S-ON
HBOOT 2.18.0001
Radio 2.15.00.12.19

When pluging into my PC I get a new hardware pop up and "qualcomm cdma technologies msm" is what it shows as the device rather than "Android Phone". I just unrooted the phone with the latest stock RUU and everthing else seems to be OK, but with the way it is I cannot use HTC Sync. My other HTC EVO works perfectly. Any ideas?

Unlocked S-ON
HBOOT 2.18.0001
Radio 2.15.00.12.19

well if you are still unlocked you are not officially unrooted. yes you do not have root permission any more but the watermark is still there.

just curious as to why you wanted to unroot in the first place. was there an issue before?

the only thing i have found that might fix it is this:[ How-To ] Fix SD card not being detected & USB port not working - xda-developers

you can try the fastboot command for the sd card fix, but the usb fix needs a rooted phone to work.

Upvote 0
I just unrooted the phone using the RUU from another post. Since running the RUU all I have done was unlock bootloader. I ran the RUU trying to fix this problem. It is almost like my EVO is a Samsung showing that message when connected to a PC.

ok i wished you would have come hear before running the ruu. but you can still use the fix i posted earlier. just get a custom recovery from the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html and flash the su file or flash a rom and then try the fixes.

so far all the research that i have seen, a majority of posts had a link to the fix above.

also one last bit of info, unrooting should always be your last resort. there are a bunch of different tricks that we can do to troubleshoot most problems when you are rooted. with a stock recovery and rom, there is not much in the way of troubleshooting. remember as long as you have recovery all is not lost.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help OCN, but I am still at a loss. Occasionally the unit will show as an Android device in my device manager but most of the time it comes up with that Qualcomm device. I have tried everything that I can think of, and followed all of the links and guides you provided and think I am screwed on this one.

Upvote 0
I sure did. I was not able to succesfully navigate through the terminal emulator piece of the fix, there seems to be some issue with the unit and the sd card. I have tried two other sd cards with no luck. My friend bought this evo off ebay "rooted" and it did come with Hboot 6.XX and S-OFF but HTC Sync doesnt work with the phone, which is what started this nightmare. I dont know if there is anything else to try. I truly appreciate your help on this one though!

Upvote 0
Yes I have those on the root of the SD card. Have you seen anywhere that lists those commands in ADB rather than terminal emulator? I have gotten the phone to come up as an ADB device a couple of times

you can try this:Wireless ADB * ROOT

it works just like the name of the apps says. check it out.

Reactions: phxfireguy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones