1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root EVO slow tether

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DustyD392, Mar 7, 2011.

1. DustyD392

DustyD392 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    Has anyone else had problems with the wireless tether on the EVO? If I run a speed test with it on 4G, it is usually 8-10Mbps, but if I tether it to my iPad, it seems like it's capped at around .5Mbps. I have tried a few different versions of the Android Tether, with no success. It never gives me any problems whatsoever, other than the fact that it is extremely slow. The iPad itself runs at about 5-6Mbps when paired with my home network, so I don't think that there is a problem with it.

I rooted my phone (I'm new at this, so forgive me, I don't know what version I have, but if you need the info, then you will probably have to tell me how to go about obtaining that information) right after I purchased it. The Sprint HotSpot does not work, though.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dusty

Advertisement

2. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Android Expert
    None

You will get better answers if you posted this in the evo forum

3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    moved this for you.

*note to evo guides: I am assuming this is a root question. It's vague, if not, stick it in support? TIA.

Steven

4. madflasher

madflasher Member
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    were you using the stock wireless tether? it only does 3g.
    try this one see if it helps..

ExSaint and DustyD392 like this.
  5. DustyD392

DustyD392 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    I am using Android Tether, not the Sprint Mobile HotSpot app.

Dusty

6. madflasher

madflasher Member
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    did you try the hyperlink in my previous post?

7. DustyD392

DustyD392 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    It does the same thing. Right now my 4g speed is 8.2Mbps on my EVO, but my iPad, while tethered, is only 512Kbps with the app from your link. I appreciate your help.

I was wondering if loading a different ROM or root would help, or at the very least unlock my native Sprint Wifi tether. I think that I am running UnrEVOked, but am unsure.

Dusty

8. surfologist87

surfologist87 Android Expert
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    behind you
    Where are you located that you get 8.2 on 4g?
    Thats awesome. I used to get that here in Tampa, Florida, but now that everyone is on it it ranges from 2 to maybe 5 on a good day.

First of all, how did you install the app from the other posters link, did you just install and open it? or did you UN-install the old app, then install this new one? Try that and see how it works. If you already did, then:

How did you root your phone? You said you are unsure that you rooted your phone with unrevoked. Were you the one that rooted the phone or did you buy it rooted?

9. DustyD392

DustyD392 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    I am in Kansas City. I have tried multiple Android Wifi tether versions and have alwaysuninstalled the previous versions before installing the new one. I have tried everything from rebooting the phone after installing/uninstalling.

As far as rooting, I bought thw phone new from Sprint, not knowing that I had to pay extra for the tethering. I saw a YouTube video that got rave reviews so I followed it's directions. I am not opposed to switching to something else if you think that it will solve my problem. Again, I'm pretty sure it was unrevoked.

Thanks for your reply, I'm obviously a NooB!

Dusty

10. surfologist87

None

Jul 27, 2010
    behind you
    Have you tried version 2.0.5 pre 9?
    That one seems to work the best for most people. It is right here

I rooted, have used stock rom, also a custom rom, used that version and myself and many others have been able to get it to work. You may have a case where we need to try something different.

So, check out this Internet Tethering Guide that was posted here in the forums. It has some good info you can try, and hopefully use to solve your problem.

If you still cant your tethering to work, come back and let us know, and we can all work together to get your tethering working faster :)

Having 8mbs of 4g and only getting 500k to your other devices sucks. It should be somewhat ok for an iPad, but i understand you want the 4g you are paying for. Like i said, try that version of the app, then check out the guide, then we can go from there.

11. DustyD392

DustyD392 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    I have 2.0.5 pre 9 I don't know what's going on. It seems like my phone is capping the speed. It is always around 500Kbps, whether I'm running 4G or 3G. If I untether the iPad at home, it runs extremely fast on my home network.

Sprint's HotSpot app is not unlocked on my EVO. I also have only one Android tether version on my phone at all times. I always uninstall the old one, then reboot, then install the new one, then reboot again. I have cleared the cache multiple times, although I don't know what that would have to do with it

Thanks again for your help!

Dusty

12. surfologist87

None

Jul 27, 2010
    behind you
    Did you check out that guide? Some have problems getting anything over 3g, and there is one little thing you can try.
    Make a nandroid backup if you wish, or just copy the file to another location so you can put it back if anything goes wrong.

13. surfologist87

None

Jul 27, 2010
    behind you
    Or, what i think would be the best option is to check out some other roms.
    There are a ton of fantastic ones, many of them with sprint hotspot unlocked, and a working version of wireless tethering.

Koni's Elite II
    Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo

Those two are my favorite, in my opinion some of the best looking, and very similar to the stock rom that you have now.

There is great info in the Rooting for Dummies Guide on how to backup what you have, wipe your phone properly, and flash this new rom.
    That would be the best (and best looking ;) ) option for you right now. Let me know if thats what you want to do and if you need any help!

DustyD392 likes this.
  14. DustyD392

DustyD392 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    You'll have to forgive me, but I cannot seem to find anything that resembles "Root Explorer" If this fix does not work (and maybe even if it does) I will try a different ROM.

Thanks!

Dusty

15. surfologist87

None

Jul 27, 2010
    behind you
    Root Explorer is an app in the market. I believe it is about 4 bucks.
    There are other apps that will accomplish the same thing, and are free. I believe ES file explorer will? I have not used it.

DustyD392 likes this.
  16. DustyD392

DustyD392 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    After doing what you suggested, my upload speed dramatically increased, but my download speed is still hovering around 500K. When I get home I will attempt to install one of the aforementioned ROMs.

Thanks!

Dusty

17. surfologist87

None

Jul 27, 2010
    behind you
    No problem. Just follow the guide, and be sure to make a backup of what you have now. That way if there is anything at all you dont like, youll be back to exactly what you have now, and you can try something else.

DustyD392 likes this.
  18. DustyD392

DustyD392 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    OK, stupid question, but it says to move the files to the root of SD card, so I am assuming that I download them to my PC, then move the setup files to my SD card through Windows Explorer? Also, where is the "root"? Do I just move the setup files onto the card, but not in an existing file?

Dusty

19. ExSaint

ExSaint Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Really you getting around 8 down? Not trying to be mean but I really don't see that has a issue or a problem. I would be more than happy if i got those speeds. I barely get above 2 with 3G and with 4G i get between 5-7 down. If your getting 8 down...at that speed your reaching broadband aka cable and DSL speeds. Thats past the OC3 connection mark.

20. DustyD392

DustyD392 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    I am more than happy with my download speeds to my EVO, but the issue that I am having is the tether speed FROM my EVO to my other WiFi devices. It seems that it is capped at 500Kbps.

Dusty

21. DustyD392

DustyD392 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    OK, well I figured it out. So far, so good! I will have to wait until tomorrow to test the tether speeds, as I don't live in Kansas City so I don't have 4G speeds at my residence.

I do have another question...

How do you "overclock" an EVO that is running Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo? Also, what is the best way to test your processor speed?

Thanks again, you guys are awesome!

Dusty

22. surfologist87

None

Jul 27, 2010
    behind you
    Awesome!! What was it that you figured out?

Overclocking varies from phone to phone actually, its an interesting little thing.
    There is an app called set cpu, and you pretty much have to do a trial and error to see what speed you can over clock at. Most phones can only get to about 115xxx... anything over that (or that itself) will cause a reboot.
    Underneath that slider bar is an option that says "set on boot" which causes your phone to start up on the overclocking you choose every time you start it up, so it you choose something that causes your phone to be unstable, then you will get stuck in aboot loop. So do not check that button until you get comfortable with what your phone can handle, or you will be screwed into a bootloop.

Here is a guide on how to set up SetCPU. Also, if you download the apk from this thread on xda, you can get if free. Or, go to the market and pay for it to donate to the developer.
    (i have version 2.10 and it works good, i cant speak for 2.11 but im sure it is fine)

23. DustyD392

DustyD392 Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    I got Myn's installed and I really like it, but it seems that I have a new problem. Everything works extremely well with the exception of the browser. Dolphin and HTC's browsers are EXTREMELY slow. I have rebooted my phone multiple times, but they are still slow. It doesn't matter if I'm on 3G, or if I am paired up with my home network. It literally takes 2 minutes to load a page. Other than that, I really like it. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks for the tips on overclocking. It seems that it may be a little over my head, although I think that I will download SetCPU, just out of curiosity.

Thanks again!

Dusty

24. surfologist87

None

Jul 27, 2010
    behind you
    Well, lately people have been having a problem with 3G, that seems to happen quite a bit. There are a few solutions on the forums, here are the first two that i found:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...r-solution-fix-your-slow-3g-speeds-evo4g.html
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/293024-crappy-3g-speeds.html

But since youre saying it is on wifis too, im not sure about that. Maybe someone else can chime in...
    Also, after any rom flash, its usually a good idea to do a profile update, just to get everything re-synced.

As far as using setCPU, whenever you wanna get that up and running, just let me know. I will point you in the direction for a new kernel you can put on there. It should give you a little better battery life. Then, you can get setcpu turned on and a couple good profiles to underclock your phone when your screen is off to save lots of battery.
    Its a good idea to wait a few days though, just so you can get a baseline of how this rom is going to use battery, then go from there. First, see how it is compared to stock, then see how a new kernel is compared to this.

Glad you like it! There are so many little things youll find here and there that make it better than the stock rom. For example the battery percentage in the notification bar. Love that.

Let me know how the browser turns out. :)

25. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    Try downloading Adfree from the market and selecting "Revert." That should be all you need to do to fix your browser problem.

DustyD392 likes this.
Tags: