• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO supply constraint is due to production change- not demand

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
Two points of evidence:

1. Sprint backtracking on sales numbers and not clarifying if sell-in or sell through. Why not tout the numbers now?

2. HTC has already stated they have revised their production with special focus on display revisions. Why continue production of units that have high potential for faults? They would not.

The good news is an already good device is even better now, but the bad news is there is an inherent supply gap when you stop production to intitiate a design change. HTC is having a rough time lately, since they shot themselves in the foot with EVO's display and Samsung shot them with the Incredible's display. At least LCD displays are not a supply problem, so good for EVO.

That all said, it appears that the EVO may run into the same issue that the Inc has. Both devices are supply constrained and the new and equal (or better) Samsung and Moto devices are a month or two away. A lot of people may wait.

added:

Verizon have not released sales numbers for Inc either, so perhaps same scenario.

Always the same story with these type of production foibles. Ultimately, the problem is that there are simply too many new phones being introduced in rapid succession. Undoubtedly one of the reasons iPhones have been able to sustain quality is that they have time to do fixes without focusing on the next version of phone. Sure, they use some of the same manufacturers, but they also make sure that Apple production lines don't go through changeovers or aren't being used to produce other phones.

I've been fortunate enough to have 2 Evos that don't show any of the known build issues yet. I hope they stay that way. But it does indicate that HTC is just moving too fast.

Moto and others will run into similar issues because they're all now sourcing parts from some of the same parts makers even if they maintain build ownership and control.

Upvote 0
Well I would be very happy if the revision theory is true since I've been waiting for exactly that to buy the evo. And as far as new phones coming possibly hurting sales, I see it the other way around. Which would you rather have, a revised version of an awesome phone that's now bug free or once again, the risk of another first run phone. Give me the the mature revised evo and I'll be on my way thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones