• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo Test Units in Stores

beoti

May 15, 2010
ATL-ien
I just played with a test unit in Atlanta at the South Cobb Radio Shack store. It was a sprint employee who is making the rounds to different stores and talk to customers.

Freakin' sweet. I have to run to a b'day party, but it is beyond amazing. Not too heavy, fits in your pant pockets very well. Meow!

Sorry for the delay on details. I've been running around with the wife all day. At one point, tried to post from her iPhone, but alas the 3g would not connect...

A few notes on playing with the evo and conversation with sprint rep. I repeat, this was not the radio shack test unit, but a sprint corporate rep doing a round at the store. He got his test unit last night.

The screen is beautiful. It will take your breath away. The colors anne size combine for an immaculate presentation. The screen takes up every cm of the body...no wasted space. It was definitely the first thing that you notice and it is kind of hard to understand how I've managed with a puny iPhone or bb screen.

Blazing fast...switched programs, rolled through contacts, typing with the touch keypad. Everything is as advertised as fast. Read the engadget review from march introduction...it really is fast. I am drolling over the uses for it that would have tried my patience with other portable comps. I own a manufacturing and distribution plant and I'm going to overlay my inventory tracking program onto this...the speed and screen size make it possible. Probably going to order ten more for warehose employees when I'm done testing.

Sales rep said they already has more preorders for the evo in three days than the entire preorders for the pre. People are excited.

4g...no coverage in the store! I wasn't surprised. The rep agreed that even in mature markets like Atlanta, 4g is still being filled out. I'm paraphrasing him now, 3g has 94% building penetration and 4g is much less(I think he said along the lines of 60 something percent...I can't remember exactly). He admitted that the 4g is f'n sweet when you get it, but it is not reliable. I think sprint may have a pr issue on their hands when people are not getting their 4g dream speeds. Sprint rep said it takes a long time for a market to mature, so I suspect the newer markets being introduced this summer will be disappointed. He said sprint is really stressed trying to implement new markets and fill out mature markets.

Again...these are his words so don't flame me!

In the end, the phone is a beast. The screen, proceesr, android, hdmi out make the possibilities endless. As a macguyver at heart, I'm over the moon thrilled even if te 4g experience proves marginal.

We could not get qik to work. Rep said he had been trying since last night without success...uh oh.

That's all I can rememer for now. June 4 will not come fast enough. Happy drooling fellow fanboys!

Upvote 0
Internal storage...did not ask.

Battery...let me clarify, relative to my bb battery it is huge.

$10 charge...not gonna stop me. The removal of the hard cap makes it easy to swallow. I think they could charge more for reliable 4g service. I suspect they removed the data cap on 4g and only charged $10 to ease the transition. Pure speculation though...no need to reignite the debate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones