• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo that good?

metalmenance

Nov 10, 2009
Knoxville, Tn
I have the Incredible right now with verizon, however I am thinking about saving some money and switching to sprint.
For those of you with the Evo4g, how has it been for you?
I really am liking the idea of the bigger screen for movies and browsing plus being able to hook up to my hd tv would be nice, is the front camera cool too?
anyway just trying to get some good honest opinions from others here
I do plan on rooting and customizing it with nice rom and such too
Thank in advance, Don

I have the Incredible right now with verizon, however I am thinking about saving some money and switching to sprint.
I really am liking the idea of the bigger screen for movies and browsing plus being able to hook up to my hd tv would be nice, is the front camera cool too?
Thank in advance, Don

The EVO is the reason I could never see myself getting another phone with a QWERTY keyboard (Used to have WinMO - Mogul and TouchPro).

You're already used to SenseUI, but since you plan on customizing, I'm not figuring that'll be a factor for you. The Big Screen is AWESOME. All my family members that have the iPhone and some that have a different Android phone comment on how awesome the big screen is and the fact that the phone doesn't feel as big as it looks.

Front camera is good. Quite honestly, the rear camera is the most disappointing part of the phone, but I have no complaints comparing what I had with the Mogul and TouchPro (which were awful compared to the EVO camera). The front camera is much better than I expected, so i have no real complaints on that end with exception to the fps limitation (which adds choppiness to video recordings only noticed since update to Froyo).

If you plan on rooting and customizing, I think you'll be VERY satisfied. From reading other reviews (after rooting), people don't worry about any fps limitations and feel the phone performs MUCH better after rooting and customizing.

I must admit, I've been very hesitant to root because I've only been on Android since getting the EVO on launch date and I just don't have the time to sit down and make sure I'm doing everything properly and backing everything necessary to return the phone to stock (if needed).

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Evo is worth it :D I switch from a Blackberry to an Evo a couple days ago, and I absolutely love it. It was worth every penny.
I rooted it (Which was weird for me because I've never done it before). I was scared at first.
I customize it now. It comes out looking awesome :)
I think that if you are all about customizing to fit yourself then the Evo is for you.

This is just my second time re-doing my screen and messing around with "Launcher Pro" and I find it extremely easy.

Attachments

• snap20100921_122932.jpg
    snap20100921_122932.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 142
  • snap20100921_122935.jpg
    snap20100921_122935.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0
I've had a Blackberry 9650, an Epic, and Windows Mobile, plus my brother has had an iPhone (extensive experience with iOS in general, my uncle just got the iPhone 4) and currently has a Palm Pre. The Evo, IMO, is the best cell-phone experience available right now. The only thing that lets me down a little is that the camera is not on par with the new iPhone's. Other than that, consider it a perfect device. Customization alone makes it an entirely different experience, in addition to seamless integration with Google services and ridiculous hardware.

Upvote 0
Thank in advance, Don
not alot of difference between the incredible & evo...

-evo bigger screen
-evo front camera
-4g if its in your area

-incredible better screen
-more onboard storage

the biggest draw for me would be the monthly plan savings

Upvote 0
I had the TP2 with Verizon and had been with them for 6 or 7 years. When I heard about the Evo coming out I knew it was time to switch. I cut my bill in half by going to Sprint, and expected to have slightly worse coverage. BUT...I now have better coverage than with Verizon. I also will never go back to a hardware keyboard, even though I used to think I had to have one and was a big part in my phone choices. The Evo is great to type on with the big screen and its nice having a slim phone. This is by far the best phone I have ever owned, I am very happy that I switched to Sprint and have the Evo!!! DO IT!!!

Upvote 0
Thank in advance, Don

Evo as a phone, internet, portable music and video amongst other things are great. Pop the kickstand for handsfree movie watching =). Coming from in Incredible I'm sure you will be happy. The front camera takes some decent picture if youre going to take self portrait but video chatting is dependent on your connection and not sure if you will really be using it a lot. It can be choppy and slow sometimes. With the HDMI to TV you can only view pictures and videos in your gallery. You can't view movies using 3rd party player. However you can view youtube videos. Again HDMI you will probably rarely use because of these limitation. If you are going to root then I recommend Baked Snack 1.7. It's pretty close to stock but without the bloatware and it pretty smooth. FPS unlocked as well.

Upvote 0
Evo is worth it :D I switch from a Blackberry to an Evo a couple days ago, and I absolutely love it. It was worth every penny.
I rooted it (Which was weird for me because I've never done it before). I was scared at first.
I customize it now. It comes out looking awesome :)
I think that if you are all about customizing to fit yourself then the Evo is for you.

This is just my second time re-doing my screen and messing around with "Launcher Pro" and I find it extremely easy.
Hey, could I ask how you got your LP dock to look like that?

Upvote 0
I had the TP2 with Verizon and had been with them for 6 or 7 years. When I heard about the Evo coming out I knew it was time to switch. I cut my bill in half by going to Sprint, and expected to have slightly worse coverage. BUT...I now have better coverage than with Verizon. I also will never go back to a hardware keyboard, even though I used to think I had to have one and was a big part in my phone choices. The Evo is great to type on with the big screen and its nice having a slim phone. This is by far the best phone I have ever owned, I am very happy that I switched to Sprint and have the Evo!!! DO IT!!!

Well said and glad you made the switch... Evo is a superior device in a lot of ways. I like to think my Evo as a boderline tablet because of the size but it being so pocketable. It does almost as much as what I need from my actual Desktop. So glad I chose this over the Epic.

Upvote 0
... however I am thinking about saving some money and switching to sprint.
For those of you with the Evo4g, how has it ...

You just kind of answered your question. The big thing is finding service that's the cheapest for what you need, and provides coverage where you live. Don't switch just for a phone, look at the poor souls dealing with AT&T just to have their iPhones!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones