• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo Touch Screen

My palm pre reacts to fingernails and I also just put my index finger inside a thick paper napkin (just for you guys) and it repsonded to that as well.

Surely the HTC EVO has a better touchscreen tech than the Pre :thinking:

Also is the glass screen confirmed for the Evo? The plastic screen on the Pre scratched way too easily.

Upvote 0
i read in one of the threads here today...
The evo will have the new touch screen sensor tech. It will be able to handle: Finger tips, finger nails, gloves, and a stylus. :d

i have also heard that the evo will have the same tempered glass technology as the hero. Believe me when i say, the hero screen is one tough screen. Very hard to scratch. Search youtube for hero screen test. :eek:

Hope this helps.. But remember.. It aint true till you see it in your hands!!!
where did u get that info? I used the evo today in the store. The staff told me it is the number one complain of most women.. The screen is not not not capable of using a stylus or nails or anything else

Upvote 0
where did u get that info? I used the evo today in the store. The staff told me it is the number one complain of most women.. The screen is not not not capable of using a stylus or nails or anything else

All Capacitive Touch Screens require a human touch (electostatic) to function. Stylus' do exist for theses screens however using technology that mimics the human touch

Pogo Stylus

Upvote 0
NOOO I just bought the Evo yesterday and I have long fake nails and I can NOT use anything on this phone with my nails at all..I have to turn my finger side ways and use my tip..It is a pain to me in a big way..very frustrating but still trying to love the phone..

Life is going to get harder for those with long, fake nails because everyone is going to capacitive touch screens, the old resistive are dying off because of their inaccuracy.

Maybe try shorter, its not the nail itself that is causing the problem (my girlfriend has medium length real nails) but the distance causing it to be too weak of a signal.

Upvote 0
This is a very common complaint -- women with long, manicured nails and capacitive touch screens. One of my co-workers has the touch pro 2, and she was hating on it until I told her that all the new phones wouldn't let her use her fingernail as a stylus. That made her feel better about her phone.

What I don't understand is why they aren't making conductive styli for people who need to use them. Of course, in Korea, they already have them:

Korean iPhone Stylus: It’s Made of Meat | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Maybe some enterprising butcher will market the hell out of this!

Upvote 0
I have unlocked my evo with the back of my finger so I was touching the screen only with the nail. it works fine IMO

Yes but that is because it is closer to the finger and is using the fingers electrostatic touch. However the further away from that electrostatic, i.e. longer nails, the capacitive screen will not register the touch. it is like trying to touch the screen with a pen at that point.

Upvote 0
The capacitive effect does not require direct physical contact -- if you are close enough, it will cause the screen to respond. If not, screen savers would disable the screens. So sikclown is correct -- if you have short nails it may work, but the screen will not respond if you have long talons for nails.

Upvote 0
My palm pre reacts to fingernails and I also just put my index finger inside a thick paper napkin (just for you guys) and it repsonded to that as well.

Also is the glass screen confirmed for the Evo? The plastic screen on the Pre scratched way too easily.

Ok you're wrong. Because I have been an owner of a Palm Pre for almost two years now. No matter how much I try, my nail will no react to the touch screen. Unless your nails are stubby and short then obviously it will react cause it feels the warmth of your skin.

Upvote 0

I just used a 4-ply napkin wrapped around my finger on my EVO, and it worked just fine. Electricity can travel thrgouh thin things...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones