• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evo upgrades ?

Warrior 3000

Nov 22, 2009
so i see the is coming out june 4th 2010. my sprint contract stands as...i got sprint july of 2008 and i got samsung instinct. in nov of 2009 i bought a htc hero off crigslist and just changed phones and didnt use my upgrade. once the evo comes out, how much is it to UPGRADE to it. 199 ?

$450 out of pocket if ineligible for upgrade. $299 w/ $100 mail-in rebate if you are eligible for an upgrade. I'm gonna wait and see if Best Buy does their magic and eliminates the use of mail-in rebate again just like they did for the Hero. Personally, I'm just going to wait until October for my upgrade.. by then any issues that the phone has should be worked out

Upvote 0
$450 out of pocket if ineligible for upgrade. $299 w/ $100 mail-in rebate if you are eligible for an upgrade. I'm gonna wait and see if Best Buy does their magic and eliminates the use of mail-in rebate again just like they did for the Hero. Personally, I'm just going to wait until October for my upgrade.. by then any issues that the phone has should be worked out

Agreed. I too will wait till October for the rebate and see what everyone says about the phone.

Who know, maybe there will be a ton of issues with it and we'll find out it can't be rooted. By that time the 2.1 will be out for the Hero and the devs will have some awesome new ROMs for us to run!

Or maybe Verizon will have the iPhone at that time and I'll head over there? ;)

Upvote 0
BB does not do mail in rebates.
All rebates are instant at Best Bye. Thats why I buy all my phones there.

Upvote 0
Same boat here, waiting til October (earliest). I got my Sprint Premier upgrade at 10 months into my contract last year, I'm hoping the same will hold this time around. I just picked up a hero for my dad a few weeks ago from RadioShack for $49. So hopefully by Oct. there might be a little more drop in price on the Evo, but hell, at $199, there's no room to complain. I'm only hoping that 2.1 comes out for my Hero soon, so i don't do anything stupid and drop $450 on the Evo.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else thinking of skipping on the Evo and waiting for the next great phone? By the time I'm eligible for an upgrade the Evo will be 4-5 months old. I'm hoping that the HTC Scorpion is more than a rumor, if that ends up coming out before January I think I'll just wait for that.

+1 I actually like my hero and can totally wait for the next gen android.
Sent from my evo200 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I stopped by Best Buy today to just hold the Hero and HTC HD2 in my hands. I am one of those folks being kicked out by Virgin Helio and lose my current service May 25. The HD2 screen sure is sexy, and the processor of the Evo makes me drool. And Raleigh is a 4G city.

Still...

Just too big for me I think. I am afraid if it was in my pocket, and I hit a corner, the dang thing would snap in half LOL. For me, at least, and the type of stuff I use a phone for, I am just more comfortable with the Hero's form factor.

So decided that best course would be just be happy with the Hero for a year, and use next upgrade for whatever next best phone that has better processor in a smaller form factor comes out. Maybe when the Hero 2 or such comes out

Upvote 0

Best Buy Mobile does not do mail in rebates, ever.

Upvote 0
I stopped by Best Buy today to just hold the Hero and HTC HD2 in my hands. I am one of those folks being kicked out by Virgin Helio and lose my current service May 25. The HD2 screen sure is sexy, and the processor of the Evo makes me drool. And Raleigh is a 4G city.

Still...

Just too big for me I think. I am afraid if it was in my pocket, and I hit a corner, the dang thing would snap in half LOL. For me, at least, and the type of stuff I use a phone for, I am just more comfortable with the Hero's form factor.

So decided that best course would be just be happy with the Hero for a year, and use next upgrade for whatever next best phone that has better processor in a smaller form factor comes out. Maybe when the Hero 2 or such comes out

If you were on Virgin Helio why not consider the new Beyond Talk plan by Virgin. Just came out yesterday but it's insanely cheap. $25 for 300 minutes and unlimited text, web and data.

Upvote 0
But no Android, kinda the point for me, :)

Honestly, even before I heard about Virgin's new data plan, I was planning on going that route. I was furious at Sprint for making me get another phone. So angry, I filed a formal complaint with the FCC. Helio used Sprint's network, so by definition, my current phone "works" on Sprint's network.

But over time, the more I thought, the more I really wanted Android. And since I was already gonna have to shell out a bunch of cash to get a Blackberry or such on a prepaid plan, finally decided to at least call Sprint a 2nd time and find out how much an Android would be. Turned out, with the extra credit I am getting for coming from Helio, my out of pocket costs are less getting the Hero than if I would have gone with Virgin. $149 out the door, plus a hundred dollar rebate some time this century LOL. Yes, for a final cost of $49 for the Hero and a $69 plan I can call cell phones as much as I want. To me, that just can't be beat

Plus the woman who helped me was SO nice, SO helpful, kinda made me fall in love with Sprint. Have figured out that others who have said on here that if you are only nice and decent, Sprint CS isn't nearly as bad as some say is really kinda true.

And oh yeah, newly married, talk to my wife at least once every 2 hours if not more frequently, that 300 minutes on Virgin would probably be gone in like 3 days, so really NOT the best plan for me. :)

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, after a divorce a few years ago, my credit is destroyed. Only way this is working for me is cause as part of the slough off of Helio customers, no credit check will be done on me since I have been with Helio over a year.

Unfortunately, and I checked this yesterday, Best Buy can't do that part for me, can only be done through Sprint.

But....next phone, absolutely will be bought through Best Buy, as I will already be under contract then.

Upvote 0
ENOUGH WITH THESE THREADS!!!
I WILL NOT READ THEM ANYMORE!!!

1272926711555.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones