• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Evo use as a router.

Ninh99

Lurker
May 16, 2011
Hi All...
I'm trying to use my Evo as a router attached to my laptop. My laptop is connected to a network and I would like to use the tether abilities to connect my iPad to this network. The Evo would be wired to my laptop. I'm not trying to use my data connection to Sprint, just allow my iPad to connect through the phone to the wired network.
Is there an app to do this or is there a way to do it already in the phone?

Thanks for any and all advise!

Cool, thanks for the help!

Do a search for Internet Connection Sharing in Windows and you should find some info on setting up an Ad Hoc wireless network using the built in connection sharing Windows has.

Update: Just reread your question. Connecting your phone to the laptop would only work if you were using Sprint's data connection (Phone as Modem) otherwise the phone actually just connects as a device. You might be able to actually turn on the Mobile Hotspot (even if you aren't paying for it) and do kind of an Ad Hoc mobile thing but doubtful you could get the iPad on your actual network. Now what you will want to do is turn on your Laptop's wireless and Internet Connection Sharing and give it the same IP Address range as your Wired Network and then connect your iPad to your Laptop's SSID. I am terrible at explaining this but just do the search I recommended above and take the Evo out of the equation, it is over complicating things for you.

Reactions: Ninh99
Upvote 0
Do a search for Internet Connection Sharing in Windows and you should find some info on setting up an Ad Hoc wireless network using the built in connection sharing Windows has.

Update: Just reread your question. Connecting your phone to the laptop would only work if you were using Sprint's data connection (Phone as Modem) otherwise the phone actually just connects as a device. You might be able to actually turn on the Mobile Hotspot (even if you aren't paying for it) and do kind of an Ad Hoc mobile thing but doubtful you could get the iPad on your actual network. Now what you will want to do is turn on your Laptop's wireless and Internet Connection Sharing and give it the same IP Address range as your Wired Network and then connect your iPad to your Laptop's SSID. I am terrible at explaining this but just do the search I recommended above and take the Evo out of the equation, it is over complicating things for you.

Thanks for telling me about an Ad Hoc network...I never thought about that. It works very well...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones