• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO vs. DROID Google Backup question

hellspawn69

Jun 7, 2010
So, when I set up my users at works DROID's, when you add a Google account, it backs up all the settings and stuff to it if I recall.
When I set up my new EVO's, I don't recall seeing anything like that.
Am I missing something, or does it just not work the same way?
I was hoping for an easy method of backup up the phone, as hard resets seem unavoidable with any smart-phone.

Associating any Android phone with a Google account does not backup settings. It doesn't backup anything, in the strictest sense of the word. It syncs data, which can include email, contact information, calendars. It does not include text messages, system settings, third-party applications and other items.

There are true backup applications for Android, of course.

Upvote 0
Thanks Berner. I guess I misunderstood what the DROID was backup up to Google in the first place then.
I think this question simply stemmed from the EVO not 'asking' me if I want Google to backup my stuff...

Gonna have to do some research and find some good backup software. I would hate to have to go re-find all my App's.

Upvote 0
So, when I set up my users at works DROID's, when you add a Google account, it backs up all the settings and stuff to it if I recall.
When I set up my new EVO's, I don't recall seeing anything like that.
Am I missing something, or does it just not work the same way?
I was hoping for an easy method of backup up the phone, as hard resets seem unavoidable with any smart-phone.

I have never used a droid, but I recall some custom roms I was running with my hero that had that option, where you could backup wifi setting and such, could that be what you are talking about.

And yes you are correct that I have not seen anything like that on the EVO.

Upvote 0
Thanks Berner. I guess I misunderstood what the DROID was backup up to Google in the first place then.
I think this question simply stemmed from the EVO not 'asking' me if I want Google to backup my stuff...

Gonna have to do some research and find some good backup software. I would hate to have to go re-find all my App's.

Use titanium backup from the market:D

Reactions: me2u69
Upvote 0
The first time i saw that option was on CyanogenMod for my G1 with the Eclair rom. I didn't think much of it, but checked that option. Guess what, it does back up some of your stuff and I was hoping that the EVO had the same option. The BEST part about that option to backup to Google is... you don't have to redownload all of your apps. When I did a wipe on my G1, it automatically started downloading the apps I had on there previously. It's a great feature, much missed on my EVO since my EVO is going to be exchanged and I have to reinstall everything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones