1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

evo vs nexus s?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mjd515, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mjd515

mjd515 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2010
    im going to sprint and i need some input here im going from verizon droid x to sprint and i want a phone that is better or equal to the x, it also needs to be unlocked no bootloader stuff to deal with, i dont need it unlocked out of the box though just need it to be unlockable, and screen size is also a must for me i would like a screen like in the galaxy series phones but the size of the droid x, im currently between the evo and the nexus s but if there is a phone coming out soon that is going to be better than ill wait for that . thanks in advance guys! :)

Advertisement

2. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    Well I would suggest you wait for the EVO3D, It's coming in a couple weeks.

3. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Are we sure that the 3d will have an unlocked bootloader? The last I heard, it was going to be locked.

While the regular Evo is a year old now, it is completely unlocked, and has a LARGE modding community over at xda. There are at least 40 different roms, with new ones coming every day. So if you dont mind it being a year old, I would suggest that over the Nexus.

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    If you were to buy an Evo 4G today, it would come with a locked bootloader (NAND protection on). Furthermore, because they are shipping with 2.3.3 now, there is NO root exploit. So it's incorrect atm to assume an Evo 4G is unlockable the instant you buy it.

As far as HTC's recent (May 26) promise to unlock bootloaders, they announced yesterday to Sensation owners that they are finalizing an OTA that will unlock the bootloader.

What that actually means is unclear, since the term "locked bootloader" is ambiguous to begin with. It could refer to a bootloader with NAND protection, or it could refer to the worst case scenario: a bootloader signed with an encrypted signature.

My gut feeling is that they will be removing the encrypted signature. Whether or not the E3D ships with the "unlock" is irrelevant. It can be retroactively be "unlocked" with an OTA, and HTC's pledge applies to all phones, even the ones already released. I believe that would satisfy the OP's requirement.

Removing NAND protection will come when the phone is rooted, which is trivial compared to the old prospect of having an unlockable bootloader like that of the Droid X.

5. mjd515

mjd515 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2010
    i picked those specific phones because of the unlocked loaders on them, i didnt know that the evo had been relocked with the recent ota, should i just wait for the gsII? or will the evo 3d be better? im looking to be able to develop easy and for it to be powerful, any opinions on the matter are awesome