1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Evo wi max cynagen 7 toast

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dariusx, May 21, 2011.

1. Dariusx

Dariusx Newbie

am ready to flash my first ROM. A friend recommended Cynagen7. I have a few questions before I take this next plunge. I have an EVO :

1-Performing the Nandroid backup will preserve my 4g keys if I decide to go back to stock root? I do not want to lose my 4g capability.

2-Is Fresh kernel 2.6.34 good and cause not too much battery drain? If not is there any other kernel I could use? Does Snap 7.5 have 4g? My main purpose for rooting is to get batter battery life. Before rooting could only get 2hours on the web before the battery dies. I removed some stock programs and have setcpu (paid) and juice defender (free) and have noticed some change but nothing dramatic. I seem to be spinning in my wheels with eh battery issue. The best solutions I see when people ask about best rom and kernel for battery use extension is just try and see.

Any thoughts on the gingerbread version? gingerbread-evo-deck [1.0][2.3.3 Stable][1.2g][2.3.4 Beta]

3-I am still a little unclear about getting my apps back. I was told that after flashing download Titanium again and my apps would appear on the program and I could restore them. I am using the free version. I have a few paid apps. They the pay version will be restored? I only want the current version of my apps the restore won't check for upgrades right?

Thanks in advance

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

1. if you are using clockwork mod then yes they are automatically backed up. if you are in amon ra recovery then you have to select it. i always have atleast one nandroid backup backed up on my computer.

2. as far as kernels go you have to pay attention as to what rom you are on. there basically two types: sense and aosp. cm7 and deck's are both aosp. if you are looking for a custom kernel you need to flash either a sense kernel or an aosp kernel that matches with whatever your rom is. for aosp i love tiamat kernels. you can try it or any other aosp kernel and you can get it in my sig ref#2.

3.right titanium backup will only backup and not update. so go ahead and backup your apps now before you flash your next rom. go into recovery and make nandroid backup, wipe system, dalvik cache and cache, flash your aosp rom, reboot, flash gapps file (this will give you mainly google apps like the market and gmail.) then reboot. download titanium backup from the market. restore your apps and enjoy your new rom!

Dariusx and youdoofus like this.
  3. Stubby1

Stubby1 Well-Known Member

The 4g wifi key will be backed up by a nandriod this is an important step when flashing roms. There is a free app in the market that will also check the wimax keys, I think it was called wimax key finder.
    On to the rom, I am using cm7.03 stable it is the latest and a great rom. It is very customizable and from what I found this can effect battery life a small amount. I would use it with the kernel it comes with and see how the batterylife is. The also rims are much less of a battery hog than sense roms. I get about 12-15+ hours with moderate use in a poor 3g area. I cannot complain much with 4g you should be better if not much better.
    The kernel is somewhat device and user dependent because of use and running apps. Remember to use only aosp kernels with aosp rims. I and others would recommend tiamet kernels because of battery life. Look for evomattnc or youduffus posts they have links in their signatures. I have used savagezen with good results and it is listed in my profile.
    Good luck and let us know what works so others may try it as well.

Dariusx likes this.
  4. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

damnit ocn.... youre just so diligent in here... i was gonna troll some forums and provide assistance, but-cha beat me to the punch. Oh well, youre better at this stuff than i anyways lol :)

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. Also after you have installed your ROM of choice you might want to get Battery Calibration after you get the new ROM, charge your phone to 100% then run the app. It reportedly resets your battery stats and should be run after each new ROM install.

Dariusx likes this.
  6. ocnbrze

thanx, but i would not say "better than" anymore. i would say "just as good". plus you posted like hours later! i cant help it if you are slow.:D

also i wanted to add that kernels are kind of picky. not all kernels will behave the same on every phone. so what works for me may not work for you. it really has taken me a while to find the right kernel/rom combination. any cm7 rom plus tiamat kernel really has given me the best battery life. i hope that if you try the tiamat kernel that it works for you as it does for me.

7. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert

are you still runnin tiamat 4.0.1? theres a couple-a updates out homey :)

8. ocnbrze

i'm actually on it right now, just did not change my sig. thanx for watching out for me. lol

youdoofus likes this.
  9. Dariusx

Dariusx Newbie

I decided to go with the gingerbread evo deck 1.2 I concurrently flashed Tiamet 4.2 kernel. I got a lot of android process closing for media and something else, so I re-flashed the ROM without making any changes. All went well. i got apps my music player Rom manager etc no problem.

I just flashed the Tiamat kernel again only the SBC version. Al seems well at the moment.

I do have a question about 4g/3g. It seems I cannot turn them on independently anymore. I only have a 4g icon and in the controls 3g is greyed out. I was out today in an area where there is only 3g and I did get reception but is there a way to only have the 3g radio on if needed? I suspect what is happening is the equivalent of having both radios on.

So then I attempted to text and my favorite app was not present. I restored it from titanium and got process error messages. I have been researching this all last night and this morning/afternoon. I have found a couple of downloads but they also produced the message. One download worked but the expired.

I extracted the files from an ota ROM but they still would not work. I read that perhaps the two files need to be "Pushed" with adb commands. I downloaded the program that does this but got confused. I have experience with DOS from back in the 90's, so it isn't that commands are over my head. I don't understand what this does. Does it put the files in a hidden systems folder and the only way you can do it is using this method? Could someone break this down (in English) what I have to do? Should the apk and the .so file be on my PC or on the phone?

This could be a deal breaker because I do not like texting the traditional way. When the HTC update came I was so happy. Since I am using an EVO it should not be illegal for me to try to have this. If it was a pay app in the market, I'd pay.

Another problem I am having is slow usb transfers. I had read that it might be a kernel issue. I am using EVO Tiamat 4.03 sbc. I am moving at 823 kb/sec. Wow.

10. corybantic

corybantic Well-Known Member

I just flashed from Warm 2.2 to CM7. I did a Titanium Backup so as to be able to restore all of the apps that I was using on Warm. The only thing that I don't have is the Wireless tether app. Is there any way to get my wifi-tether back? Do I have to dl it from the market? Thanks.

11. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

No need for the Wireless tether app, CM7 has the wireless tether natively, just look for it in settings;)

corybantic likes this.
  12. corybantic

corybantic Well-Known Member

Where excactly?

13. ocnbrze

it is found in phone settings/wireless &networking/tethering & portable hotspot/ htne you can choose between wireless or usb tethering.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews