• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo wont boot up - Flashing red LED - I need help asap please

surfologist87

Android Expert
Jul 27, 2010
behind you
Well, my evo wont boot up. I woke up this morning with it off, and the LED was blinking red.

Last night the phone was on when i went to bed, and fine. Ive done some research and pretty much, i have to take it in to sprint now. But im rooted.. This kinda sucks.

I have pulled battery, let it sit without the battery for a few minutes, tried different chargers, tried to get into hboot... nothing.

2 nights ago, i had a little overheating issue, where i left it on and under a pillow for a couple hours. It got pretty warm. But i immediately pulled the battery and let it cool. It has worked for two days without a single issue, so i figured it was ok.

Edit:: I know if i cant get it on, then how could a tech get it on.. But say they do, First off: I have a custom splash screen. Then i have a custom boot screen. I will be toast when they see that. lol

Thanks for the help guys. I tried a different battery and it booted up fine.

So, i put my old battery in, and left it for a while, and once it got a little bit of a charge, it worked. Somehow my battery got down to absolutely nothing last night,but while it was plugged in. Any ideas why the charger just shut off and let it go down to 0?
I dont remember it being very low last night either, which is also odd that it diminished so much, but oh well.

I was sweating bringing it in, but seems like i should be ok now, just to find out why it didnt even charge it last night.

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
Interesting. Normally, it's fairly easy to account for quick battery drain (I've had it happen when I accidentally had the screen stay on for 5 hours, for example), but that doesn't account for:

a) the battery draining *far* beyond what the phone should allow it to, and
b) this happening while the phone was plugged in

I'd say it's either a faulty (flaky, at least) battery or charger. You mentioned overheating (plus a new battery worked), so I'll guess it's a battery issue. Whether it was a one time thing, or if it's going to happen again, I guess remains to be seen.

Upvote 0
I hear ya.
Now that i think about it, i remember about a week ago (before overheating my phone) I plugged it into the charger with say...80 percent left. I came back some time later and had 70-something. I thought it was odd. I cant remember for the life of me if the light was on and the icon was showing that it was charging. But i unplugged ..waited.. replugged and all was fine. But now i wonder whats up. Its happend twice now in about a weeks time.

Upvote 0
I will definitely do that when i get more time.
I am using a Blackberry charger, only because the cord is like 4 feet long..lol and i always have the cable in random places. The charger worked great, and especially while using the sbc kernels. Never overcharged or anything, gave me a really nice charge.

The battery that this happened to is my original battery. I still have the backup (another red htc one) that im using now..because the other one has about 4 percent on it lol.

Ill try this other battery for a while first. Maybe the SBC did something weird to the first battery. We shall see. If anything new arises, youll hear from me. Lol

Upvote 0
Lol! I love ninjas. I had this on my car for a while..but someone stole it:
support_ninjas_by_TorukMakto007.jpg

And yes, i read that a while ago too, i dont know if it is still a problem, i havent kept up with the thread. But mine is definitely very loose. It has held up until now, so im going to keep an eye on it.

Upvote 0
I just ordered a new battery thinking that my battery was toast. Then I used a friends phone to do some trouble shooting. Nothing was wrong with the battery at all. The copper on the bottom of the battery wasn't getting full connection to the copper connection on the phone. Quick fix; inserted a little piece of paper to force the battery and phone to connect.

Upvote 0
I just ordered a new battery thinking that my battery was toast. Then I used a friends phone to do some trouble shooting. Nothing was wrong with the battery at all. The copper on the bottom of the battery wasn't getting full connection to the copper connection on the phone. Quick fix; inserted a little piece of paper to force the battery and phone to connect.

Nice!!!!!
Glad up got it fixed. Also thanx for the tip.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones