1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Evo's and barbecue sauce

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rozner33, Jun 1, 2011.

1. rozner33

None

Feb 5, 2011
    Fort drum, ny
    I use non rooted Evo with extended battery with service from Sprint..Do not agree with task killer-manager..Run stock web browser..Refuse to use Facebook app, need be I go through website via browser.Multiple times a day I will go to settings/ applications/ manage applications/ running tab and clear cache and force stop what is running.. My Third party apps are..app 2 sd(free), power amp, amazon app store, double twist, freed YouTube downloaded, history eraser, soundhound, Imbd, lookout, yahoo messenger and plungin, bank of America mobile, Adobe flash 10.3, Adobe reader, Adobe photo shop express, quick pic, retro camera, zedge, weather bug elite, retro clock, switch pro, snesoid.. Feel free to nit pick my method, any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.. I'm here to learn and improve my device and understanding.... Thank you..

Advertisement

2. XikkeN

XikkeN Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    First of all, if you want to quit an app then just press the back button. Second, your force stop/cache clearing is more damaging (and tedious) than running a task killer. STOP DOING THAT AND LET ANDROID RUN ITSELF. You are only hurting your phone/battery life with your shenanigans.

I would root if I were you.

And finally, if you are so concerned with what is running in the background and your battery life then:

a)Disable background data
    b)Monitor your phone in the settings to determine what is running too much and using too.many resources,

3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    We really don't need to go there every single time someone posts what they are doing do we...I have a feeling the threads are just going to get locked.

If he is going to do it...he is at least doing it correctly via the menu, and in sense 2.1 a task manager may or may not be included like is present on some of their other devices.

We are not all going to use our phones the same way...and to flat out tell people they are wrong just isn't right. You give some great advice in rooting for sure, some of the bloat mentioned can be removed.

I fully believe we can help and make suggestions without doing so.

and for the heck of it..here is novox77 take on the whole killing tasks debacle..which he put very well.
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tip...tic-task-killer-why-you-need.html#post2764065

In the end..if you aren't getting the battery life you expect using the phone the way YOU want...buy an extended (or 2 or 3) haha ...and always have power. I think it is somewhat silly that people stop using their phone so they can...use their phone.

youdoofus, ocnbrze and frenchy714 like this.
  4. XikkeN

XikkeN Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    I just fail to see any benefit to doing it like that. He's basically just manually task killing which will cause his display to soak up battery for like 5-10 unnecessary minutes per session. If he's devoting that much time to it then he definitely should switch to a task killer. One click and you're done. Way less battery drain.

I'm open to hearing whatever the obscure benefit to this is, but it was my understanding that task killers force close the same as pushing that force close button in the settings.

I agree with what Novox77 said. In this particular case this gentleman had indicated a desire to not use task killers. Which means he likely skimmed an anti-task killer thread at some point. He didn't have any special concerns for his apps/phone, but he did demonstrate a lack of knowledge in the way his phone runs. Now I don't claim to be an expert, but I suggested, based on what I've read and tested myself, solutions that can help him.

Personally, I think everything can be solved with software. Rooting, different kernels, etc can get you more than enough battery life to last you through the day. You don't have to carry several batteries or make extra purchases. Just experiment and see what works best for your phone. These are my results:

[​IMG]

P.S. I capitalized for emphasis in my first post, not because I was shouting/angry. I suppose I could have used italics. It's just really easy to sound abrasive on the internet.

rozner33 likes this.
  5. rozner33

None

Feb 5, 2011
    Fort drum, ny
    It takes a whole 20 seconds to force stop what I need too. Backing out of certain apps does not stop it from running.. thank you..

6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Haha....no worries.

There is no way the stock battery can keep up with my usage in my off season. I am on doing something or another for as many as 12 hours a day.

7. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    And then it takes your OS about 2-3 minutes to reload those apps back into cache.

Yes it does. The only exception to this is apps that show up in the notification bar that keep running, i.e. music apps, streaming apps, etc. ALL other apps will stop running then you hit the back button. They are still cached once they move to the background, but NOT running.

Mr. Ed likes this.
  8. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Tech support rep for Knology
    so dak
    wow, such a heated debate here... i think a simple "what youre trying to achieve, it seems, is better battery life, and to accomplish that goal, its far easier with ATK than the method youre employing" after having read all the posts, i know the best intentions were at heart and im not innocent of getting a lil out of hand in here too, but this coulda gone much smoother.

@ OP i think also a simple root with stock o.s. while doing a titanium b/u of the stock bloatware apk's then freezing them would greatly benefit you along with atk set at autokill on screenlock :)

9. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    TITANIUM BACKUP WILL NOT BACK UP SYSTEM APKS... only data..bolded for emphasis.

Freeze them

10. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    oops, my bad :(

11. BHalbrooks

BHalbrooks Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Massachusetts
    Just saying, I still don't understand the title.

12. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    me either, but it seemed funny tho :D

13. BHalbrooks

BHalbrooks Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Massachusetts
    At first I thought he dropped his phone in BBQ sauce, or it was an App or something haha.

14. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    i think it was a clever ploy to get folks to read the post out of morbid curiosity. YOU CLEVER BASTARD YOU!!!!

Tags: