1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Excessive battery consumption

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rossmcm, Jan 6, 2015.

1. rossmcm

rossmcm Newbie

By S4 has suffered from excessive battery consumption for some weeks now. It isn't all the time - I generally notice it because the top half of the phone gets incredibly hot -like, alarmingly hot. The graph shows the consumption after I disabled flight mode in the morning:

S4 Battery Consumption.png
    ..so the consumption reached 60% of capacity per hour!

The task responsible for the bulk of the draw was the all-encompassing "Android System".

Has anyone else noticed an increase lately - or is this because of an app I have installed?

Android 4.4.2
    Kernel 3.4.0-230913

Advertisement

2. GalaxyS4Dude

GalaxyS4Dude Newbie

How did you get/create that chart ? Is that an app ?

3. rossmcm

rossmcm Newbie

Yep - it's called GSam. Get it on Google Play. It's free.

R

4. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert

That info can be misleading. "Android System" is a catch-all, and does not necessarily identify the root cause. For example, if you have a badly written maps app, it's likely to turn on GPS and constantly search for a satellite lock, which may or may not be possible indoors at your location. The GPS functionality is achieved by making a call to the GpsStatus listener in Android System (i.e., the core OS). In this case, the battery report would flag Android System, not the app that originally called it.

Try disabling or uninstalling apps that are obvious resource users (anything that uses Wifi, GPS, media searching, or other system resources) in order to perform its function. If your battery situation resolves, then you can start adding apps back one by one until you find the culprit. Once known, you can either remove it or search for a suitable replacement. Another option is Safe Mode, which disables all user-installed apps.