• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Exchange 2007 Activesync / etc/hosts file.

2careless

Lurker
Apr 23, 2010
First post here. Just received the HTC Desire and love it (I have totally skipped the iPhone fanwave :D)
Need to setup the Desire with our Exchange 2007 installation.
Our company's OMA policy requires a device certificate that's signed by our AD CA for authroisation, which means the device needs to registered as a client in the AD, and I don't think the Android phone works. This ensures only our company's issued Windows machines can access OMA.

As a trial with Android, I got my Exchange admins to accept username/password authentication on the OMA through a different public IP address, but it still accepts the origiinal URL, e.g. https://mail.example.com/oma as there is only one single Exchange frontend server.
He told me my challenge will be to setup the hosts file within the phone to override the DNS returned IP for mail.example.com and returns a different IP.

Now, is there any way to put in a new /etc/hosts file into the Desire, without rooting it?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones