• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Exchange Active Sync Issues

arZan

Lurker
Jun 29, 2010
I have a client who connects to a Windows SBS 2003 Server using Exchange Active Sync on an HTC Droid Eris with Verizon. The phone is completely original with no mods

The server had a major crash last week and was rebuilt on the weekend. The EAS worked till last week but now it does not.

All the information is entered in manual mode and then it goes to the screen where it asks what needs to be synced and after you hit OK....it says "Failed to Connect......try later".

I read somewhere on this forum that a device wipeout would solve the problem. However is there a way to just wipeout the data for the EAS app. I deleted the account off the phone (i think) but then when I try to set it up again, it remembers the email ID etc.....so there is some data that has not been wiped out.

What are my options here. Is a full wipeout the only option. The user rather not do that because of too many apps/data/pics et al on the device.

You're not the only one. I work at a large company where a lot of people use iPhones and Androids. They upgraded the Exchange servers a few weeks ago and are dogfooding SP1 - after a few days of lousy connectivity, everyone BUT people with HTC Androids were able to reconnect. iPhones are OK, Moto Droids seem to be OK, but HTC's are getting the same error you mention. I'm hoping the update Verizon is about to push fixes it, but if not I may have to switch to a Moto.

Upvote 0
The previous server installation probably was not full updated with the zillions of Service Packs and other Microsoft updates. However this one is, every single one of them. Probably something to do with that ?

I am pretty stumped by this. And dont see an option out unless the user connects to email via IMAP for now

Upvote 0
The previous server installation probably was not full updated with the zillions of Service Packs and other Microsoft updates. However this one is, every single one of them. Probably something to do with that ?

I am pretty stumped by this. And dont see an option out unless the user connects to email via IMAP for now
Try Touchdown in the Market. Free for 5 days then $20. Just use it for testing to show yourself it's not Android but the shitty HTC Exchange app. I bit the bullet and have not looked back. If TD doesn't work then something is up with the EAS policy.

Upvote 0
I don't really mind the interface, never even noticed it. I just need my email quickly and it comes in a few seconds before OWA and about 2.5 seconds after Outlook. I don't even know what the HTC program looks like because I always needed more than one EAS account and TD was the only program I found that lets me do that. Anyway, I can understand if it bugs you.

If you are friendly with the Exchange admin perhaps you can convince them to buy a wildcard cert. They only cost around $100 / year and you can use any prefix you like. Ive given up on self signed crap, too flaky. Not only that but the errors with Outlook 2007 and 2010 go away. (Then you can use the HTC app :)I guess the iPhone app works like TD since they don't have issues either. Someone told me that EAS was developed for Apple although I tend to believe it was more for Winmo.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones