• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Exchange ActiveSync on HTC Hero

wormsley

Lurker
Jul 27, 2009
Has anybody managed to get their Hero working with Exchange. I've had no problems with hotmail, yahoo or Googlemail but keep getting error message when trying to use the activesync - it doesn;t appear to even try to connect before it throws up an error message saying the provided details are incorrect - they are definitely correct. It synced fine via touchdown using the same details.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

I've now spoken with HTC support and they told me that activesync on Android only syncs with Exchange if either SSL is turned off or if its turned on a godaddy SSL certificate is used.

This seems utterly ridiculous, why would any Exchange ever run with SSL turned off? Also why would they limit it by design to godaddy certs.

Sounds to me like HTC are selling the Hero as a phone that connects to exchange when in 99.9% of cases thats untrue.

My advice at this stage would be do not buy a HTC Hero if you want to sync to your exchange server.

Anybody else know more about this?

Upvote 0
Just to throw this out there ... we use a kerio server at work and it refused to work with android unless a little-known config parameter along the lines of 'allow non-supported devices' was set and the server rebooted. Kerio officially doesn't support this yadda yadda but it's the usual support line to keep costs down...appears to work fine here.
There's exchange servers and there's exchange servers...so you might want to touch base with your IT group if you haven't already.

DT

Upvote 0
the htc info about turning ssl off is not correct

on exchange under activesync settings
there is a setting
"allow access to devices that do not fully support password settings"
most organisations will have set up active sync to require a password
when you connect to the mailbox for the first time (on ihone \ windows mobile) if the device does not have a password set , active sync prompts the user to create one
on android this setting cannot be enforced so you are not able to complete active sync set up

there is also a setting to allow users to be excluded from the password policy requirement , this works as i have tested it

i would expect most exchange admins to deny this request
htc \ google need to code their software to work in the standard secure way
in our environment we have win mobile devices and apple iphones and they all work without having to make any changes on the server end

there is also a third party piece of software that allows active sync to work as one of our users bought it for the first google phone

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have had the same problem. After I used the TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com) application it seemed to work.
But I finally found out what the problem is.
The HTC HERO Android operating system has got the problem with some MS Exchange policies.
Now if you have (normally every company has) enabled that you have to give a password to connect to your company email you will fail on your HTC HERO.
This is because atm the HTC HERO is missing something that can send back your encrypted password etc..
So here is what u need to do:
Go to your Exchange server (if you can not do it yourself ask your system admin) and go to the properties of the Mobile Services > On the general Tab open de "Device Security". On the Device Security tab you can see that "Enforce password on device" is enabled. This is causing your problem!!... Now you do not want to disabled this for your entire company but you can exclude yourself from having to enter a password to read your email. So go to "Exeptions" and have your domain\username filled in there.

Problem solved.

exchange.jpg

Reactions: narendranprade
Upvote 0
have exchange syncing easily enough, HTC even accepts the self-signed cert without too much of a grumble. My issue is that the calendar won't sync - contact + emails no problem.
I have run into this problem with WM6.1 based mobiles in the past (WM6.0 firmware would work fine but upgrade to 6.1 and the calendar sync stops), is the HTC exchange sync a version of the standard ActiveSync that the WM mobiles use? Anyone else had just calendar problems?
Have tried with/without password setting in exchange.

For the others having problems, can you login to your Exchange Outlook Web Access using the browser on your phone?

Upvote 0
I spend TONS of time fidning a sollution, and ran over this.

This actually worked for me: Do a "Factory reset" -> log in at "Google Account" when prompted !!! (i also was'nt able to log in before when i had probs with exchange-server)

... and suddenly the sky opened. I have NO idea why this works :eek:

Factory Reset:
Menu -> Settings -> Security -> Factory Data Reset :( ... and YES ... i know that y'all spend lots of time tuning, finishing and personalizing ... but this was the sollution for me

Pete, Denmark :D

Upvote 0
Exchange worked for me with no problems - and I don't have access to the server at work, so nothing that side needed changing. I did have to do a bit of guesswork with the domain though - but I just logged on to Outlook Web Access and looked at the server settings. It works through SSL too. Calendar Sync also works without problems.

Upvote 0
My Hero syncs fine with a SBS 2003 Exchange server. But I know get conflict(s) in my contacts. I've tried to resolve the confict(s) by selecting "Replace items on phone" or "Keep items on phone" none of these seems to resolve the confict(s). So my wish is to find the log for the sync so I can understand what the problem is. Do anyone know how I can find the log?

Axel

Upvote 0
I too cannot access my work email because of the pin code requirement at our office (I believe). I'm currently sweet talking our administrator to add me as an exception and in the meantime I'm using the 5 day trial of TouchDown which is working fine.

Can I suggest anyone with a similar issue send an email to HTC support in the hope they will supply a fix.

Upvote 0
We are a small business so use a self signed certificate as our needs are modest - vpn and webmail prior to the Hero. We have pda's but only hard sync in the office. It seems our problem is with Orange and SSL authentication over the air. We have changed the certificate to remove any address anomalies and unticked the password requirement etc. The phone will sync fine if ssl is switched off but fails at cert authentication if on. Some forms talk about the need for the cert to be wrapped in a cab file by orange to enable it to go to the root directory and others talk about needing sdkcerts.cab in the root. Any thoughts? We are still in dialogue with orange!

Upvote 0
Hi,

I add all the exchange info correctly which then takes me to the "select the data to sync etc etc".

Have choice of selecting mail, contacts and calendar.

When I click Finish set up I keep getting..

processing...... then "Error: Failed to create the account. please try again later".

any ideas guys...?

gave up smoking yesterday and this is not helping.. LOL..

:mad::mad:

cheers.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I add all the exchange info correctly which then takes me to the "select the data to sync etc etc".

Have choice of selecting mail, contacts and calendar.

When I click Finish set up I keep getting..

processing...... then "Error: Failed to create the account. please try again later".

any ideas guys...?

gave up smoking yesterday and this is not helping.. LOL..

:mad::mad:

cheers.

OK.. Got it working by bypassing the password scenario.. Naturally, the IT security guys here are not happy with this set up..

Is there anyway this can work by having an exchange password scenario.

Is seems totally ******** of Android if you can only have a set up which then allows anyone access to your emails if they get hold of your phone..?

Plus, how do you get Excel (spreadsheets) to work on your phone..

To not be able to see MS XL spreadsheets on your phone makes this totally redundant otherwise..

what a waste of money this is turning out to be..!!

LOL..

Upvote 0
I just got my Hero yesterday and it setup and is working flawlessly with my Exchange (sherweb.com). It did throw up an invalid cert warning when I first setup which I thought was strange, but has worked great ever since.

1. Can you set repeating Tasks?
2. Can you set alarms on your Tasks?
3. Can you sync Tasks with your Exchange with all your settings?

I'm thinking about getting the Sprint Hero. If I cannot do the above, then I will not be getting the Hero.

Upvote 0
*** UPDATE***
Still can't get the Hero to sync the Exchange calendar - emails + contacts are fine. Have deleted the account, re-created etc etc etc.
I have some other HTC handsets here too - WM6.0 based handsets are fine, everything syncs. WM6.1 or 6.5 and iPhones display the same problem as the Hero - cannot sync the calendar but all else is good.
I have disabled/enabled the device security settings in exchange and tried a raft of different password and control settings with no affect to the handsets concerned. I do think this is an Exchange issue as Activesync/iPhone-sync/Android-sync are probably very different but working on a common exchange server with a common problem.
Anyone have admin rights to an exchange server want to create a login/mailbox for me so that I can test? :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones