1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Exchange activesync speaking to me!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ian Harding, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Ian Harding

Ian Harding Newbie

I upgraded to ICS yesterday. Handset is standard Galaxy S2, unrooted, with unbranded CPW UK firmware.

After a factory reset following the upgrade, I set up Exchange Activesync, configured the same as I had it under the previous OS. All looks like it's working, but every time a new message arrives there's a female voice announcing "One new mail" (I think, it's a bit indistinct).

This voice isn't the notification sound that's set (that's the "Knock" sound from the standard notification list), and it speaks regardless of whether the phone is set to silent or not. There are two other email accounts set up in K-9, and the voice doesn't speak when mail arrives on them, or when an SMS arrives, so it seems specific to the Exchange account but I can't find any setting to turn it off.

This is really annoying, not to mention embarrasing in a meeting! How do I get rid of it?

Thanks,
    Ian

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Ian Harding

Ian Harding Newbie

I fixed it! Just in case this helps anyone else:

In Settings->Language and Input->Text-to-speech output

Driving Mode is enabled by default after the ICS upgrade. For some reason this means that new messages are announced when the arrive, even if the phone is on silent, and apparently only for some accounts.

However, the important thing is that unchecking Driving Mode makes the phone truly silent when I want it to be.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews