• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exchange ActiveSync

If I'm not mistaken, 2.1 does not support EAS security policies (password lock and remote wipe). However, these features are supported on the EVO because HTC added it as part of Sense (that's what I read somewhere). When I got my EVO on launch day, I resigned myself to not being able to connect to work until 2.2 - the verbiage from the op's corporate communication is virtually word for word as ours (wonder if we work for the same company!), but within a day or two of release, the EVO was cleared as an approved device. I do not believe any other non-HTC Android phones have been at our company due to the security policies not being supported.

Upvote 0
Relax...

im pointing out to you sir/ ma'am that EAS the evo i use is on works just fine. full integration. i had it on the hero and now its on the evo.

Exchange is exchange... your IT sets up what ever policies they want to. they could just not allow android handsets on their network. have you spoken to them? we dont know what your IT policies/riles are on this forum, your IT dept. does. i have not read this entire thread ill admit but have you spoken to them? what was their official response to you using Android on their server??

NOT helpful. Does not explain why there is full integration to the dreaded iphones but with absolutely no changes made to the Exchange environment, not full integration to Android. If Android Exchange Activesync requires something other than what the iPhone requires at the Exchange end, I'd like to know it. Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

Upvote 0
Well, yes, Activesync works on Android .. have it going on my EVO also. But its not a very good Activesync client. On my iPhone, if I deleted an email from the phone, it was deleted from Exchange/Outlook, and vice-versa. Reading one on my EVO marked it read in Exchange/Outlook. That does not happen with the default Activesync client on my EVO. And I tried another email client with better Exchange Activesync support, but then it only did one email account, Exchange, not yahoo or gmail or hotmail, etc.

do you mind telling us which other email client you tried out?

Upvote 0
Exchange works on the EVO but it's buggy as hell.
It's forever randomly not syncing. You'll get a little sync circle with an exclimation point next to it in the notifications.
Yesterday I had an EVO that showed the exchange calendar but when you went to put a new appt in the calendar the exchange calendar wasn't an option.
Had to remove/readd the account.
Never had any of these problems with the pre.

That said just steal the exchange settings from someone elses's phone. It either works or it doesn't.
Worst case get the OWA url and used the web based version.

Upvote 0
do you have an website address to see/read your company mail? if so that website address is probably your server address. the domain could be anything.

just ask someone who has a windows mobile device what the server and domain entries are.. then just add your username and password to the mix and select SSL security. you also may need a certificate pushed to your device to comply with your company's policies....

I was able to determine what I needed for server address, domain, username, etc. to try and add an Exchange ActiveSync account based on mobile phone instructions for supported devices. But after entering it I received an error about not having permission. Which is what I expected as authorization to use a personal phone to access Outlook needs to be requested and set up for any mobile phone user in my company. Specifically:

"Your Microsoft Exchange Server account does not have permission to synchronize with your current settings. Contact your Exchange Server administrator".

And since they currently don't support Android, I am out of luck until they do unfortunately.

Upvote 0
And since they currently don't support Android, I am out of luck until they do unfortunately.

Well, not supporting Android is not the same thing as not allowing Android. If you have your phone all configured, and you just need them to throw a switch, they might do it. If your config doesn't work, then you're on your own. They won't support it.

That is typically what "not supporting" means. If they simply don't allow Android, they should change their wording.

Upvote 0
Well, not supporting Android is not the same thing as not allowing Android. If you have your phone all configured, and you just need them to throw a switch, they might do it. If your config doesn't work, then you're on your own. They won't support it.

That is typically what "not supporting" means. If they simply don't allow Android, they should change their wording.

Won't support it or allow it until it is officially evaluated and approved. We need to formally request and receive access permission for access and at the moment based on their last evaluation of Android they aren't supporting/allowing it.

Upvote 0
Really? Would love to know how that works. Been using the default email client with Activesync for 3 or 4 weeks now. Message do NOT get marked as read in Exchange when read on the EVO, nor deleted. I see no settings for that in the default email client, and the IT department has not made any changes to the Exchange server because I AM the IT department for my firm -- and this currently works for the 23 iphones connecting to our Exchange server.

If you have a secret, please let me know.

I don't know the secret, but I do know that the htc mail client on my Evo syncs the inbox just fine with Exchange, including marking mails read and allowing me to delete anywhere and reflecting that deletion. There are a few caveats:

If you read or delete a mail on your desktop, or on the Evo, that won't automatically trigger an update. The other client will be updated when you manually open it, or when a new email message comes in and triggers an update.

And it doesn't automatically sync folders other than the inbox. It will sync subfolders when you open them, however.

As someone mentioned, if your company supports OWA you can access your email through the browser. At least I can.

Upvote 0
Question:
How about if I have a personally funded Android phone?

Answer:

Presently, corporate email access is not available for any Android devices due to its lack of ActiveSync support (access to Microsoft Exchange email).

Really? I have had my personal Android phone(HTC Incredible) since May and have had it syncing with my company exchange server since the day I got it.

Syncing with Exchange 2003 SP2.

Try putting a mail. in front of your email address instead of the www and see if it comes up asking for log in credentials.

Upvote 0
The big issue for me is the difference between the company directory and local directory. On my business phone (win 6.5) I can select from either directory even for Text messages. With Droid I can't select from the company directory for Text messages.

Anyone have suggestions?
The built in Active Sync client does not support GAL (global address list). There are 3rd party apps like Touchdown that will allow you to access the GAL, but I believe it's a cached version.

You could always copy the contact from the GAL to your Outlook contacts with a right click, and that info will sync over automatically.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have the same problem on my Motorola Droid with 2.2. It happens on Cyanogenmod 6 RC 2, Ultimate Droid 6.0.0 and the leaked version of the FRG22 from google/verizon.

I can connect to my exchange just fine and receive email if I set it to check every x minutes. But if I set it to push, my emails never show up.

I am running exchange 2003 with ssl disabled.

Upvote 0
I messed around for an hour and got the Native ActiveSync working with my Exchange 2003 Server. Next I want to get the SSL enabled.
It took some reading and some trial and error. But seems to be working fine.

I can erase junk and its off the server just fine. Not using the Contacts or Calendar just yet. This is with the updated 2.2 software in my phone.

Since my company is small I am the IT guy. Its a matter of getting the
Exchange set up on the server to accept mobil devices. Then getting the RIGHT settings in the EVO. Mine worked when I did NOT enter the Domain
Name. Otherwise it failed. Incorrect Pasword or User Name.

Upvote 0
The built in Active Sync client does not support GAL (global address list).

I wish they would update the Exchange Active Sync client. I hate to even use the word "iPhone," but the iPhone did this better. I could see all of the GAL on the iPhone, and wish my EVO did it better. Even the view of the folders was better. Loving Android, but hoping an updated EAS client comes out.

Upvote 0
The built in Active Sync client does not support GAL (global address list). There are 3rd party apps like Touchdown that will allow you to access the GAL, but I believe it's a cached version.

You could always copy the contact from the GAL to your Outlook contacts with a right click, and that info will sync over automatically.

Hmm ... I'd beg to differ here ... I've actually got access to my corporate GAL ... Ah! But not through this native e-mail client - Through the contacts ... Interesting ... Hadn't noticed that ... I stand partially corrected ... :-(

Upvote 0
This Activesync client is hinky (to use a technical word). No matter how many people post helpful things like "almost all of this is wrong," it is still happening.

I can read an Exchange email on my EVO while at my desk looking at Outlook, and the mail in Outlook is NEVER marked read. I can exit the mail on the EVO and go back in (settings say to update upon open) and still the email in Exchange is not marked read. If I finally get annoyed and hit "Menu, Refresh" THEN the email in Outlook gets marked as read.

The same thing does not happen if I delete. I can delete an email on the EVO and see it disappear from Outlook almost instantaneously. And what is up with no support for HTML email? Before the Froyo update I could find a setting for it, but the setting was grayed out and unselectable. Now I cannot find a setting for it at all.

I swear I am gonna have to bite the bullet and pay for Touchdown to get better Exchange support.

Upvote 0
I posted this in another thread, but will add it here. Having issues with the Exchange Activesync also. I get email, but if I read the email, the email is not marked read in Outlook even if I wait hours. When I go back into the mail on the EVO, even though the settings say to refresh on open, the email is STILL not marked read in Outlook. If I force a refresh, the email is marked read immediately.

Same is not true, at least on my EVO, with deleting email. I delete an email on the EVO, it disappears from Outlook instantly.

I call "bugs."

Upvote 0
Touchdown is a great app especially if you need HTML. i only get in house email and its all text so HTML is not a biggie for me.

i had the hero back in october and purchased touchdown then. it was a great app however it kept the hero awake all the time. i am sure it has made some major changes since then..

but to reiterate, all functions of Async work just fine on the evo i use. what i do on the evo is mirrored on the desktop and vice versa. global list, calendars... the entire kitchen sink...

one thing i DID do was once i did froyo, i did a factory reset and reinstalled my email clients... perhaps some of you who have done the froyo update should try this?

Upvote 0
Despite claims that Android 2.1 does support Exchange/Activesync, I am unable to connect to my organization's Exchange server (Exchange 2010). I am unable to use iPhone 3G due to lack of hardware encryption (3GS supposedly would remedy for that). At any rate, I thus looked into Samsung's Galaxy Spica i5700 Android phone. There are some tight security restrictions at my organization. I am still unable to connect. I came across this post, which probably explains the problems, although I cannot be sure...

While Touchdown works, I find the user interface unacceptable and it is not well integrated into the Android user experience overall.

Android in business? Don't be fooled | Mobilize - InfoWorld

July 13, 2010
Android in business? Don't be fooled
The newest Android OS's claims over Exchange support obscure a key fact: It's not really there
By Galen Gruman | InfoWorld
Share or Email
| Print | 1 comment|
251 Recommendations

As Google and its carriers begin to make the Android 2.2 OS (aka Froyo) available to the slew of devices from Motorola, HTC, LG, and so on, one repeatedly trumpeted claim is that it has better Microsoft Exchange support, making it usable in many businesses that heretofore would have blocked it.

This support, Android fan boys say, mean that Google's mobile OS is finally ready to take on the iPhone and even BlackBerry in the corporate world.

No such luck.

[ Find out how to say yes to (almost) any smartphone in InfoWorld's special report. | Keep up on key mobile developments and insights with the Mobile Edge blog and Mobilize newsletter. ]

The sad truth is that Android 2.2, like its predecessors, supports only unsecured Exchange accounts, which pretty much rules out any business accounts. Froyo does add some nice features for users of unsecured Exchange, namely autodiscovery of Exchange settings and new APIs that let software developers create Android mobile management tools. But when you try to connect to a secured Exchange account, you get the message, "This server requires security features your phone does not support." It's better than the blank screen in previous versions of the Android OS, but you're still unable to use the phone for corporate email.

Now the devil in the details is that Froyo does support some Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) security policies, so you could relax your security permissions at the Exchange server -- but that risks not conforming to regulations or security standards your business established for presumably good reason. If you're able to lower your standards, the easiest way to let Android devices onto Exchange is to enable the "allow nonprovisioned devices" policy -- which really means "allow noncompliant devices," and not just Android ones.

Or you could spend $20 to get NitroDesk's TouchDown email client, which does support EAS policies. There's a free trial version so you can test it. The TouchDown client works, though it's separate from the rest of your email and doesn't let you navigate through your mail folders; you can see all messages or just inbox messages, but you can move messages into your folders.

(If you use IBM's Lotus Notes, TouchDown also works with version 8.5.1 of that email server, using the Notes Traveler capabilities. IBM promises to release a native Lotus Notes client for Android OS 2.x some time this year.)
Tags: mobile platforms, email, endpoint security, mobile device management, Google Android, Microsoft Exchange

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones