1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Exchange and Firmware Update Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by texipman, Jun 5, 2011.

1. texipman

texipman Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    I just purchased an A500 Acer tablet three days ago. Love it so far, except for the lack of exchange support for email and calendar - which are absolute musts for me. Have read that the most recent firmware update will fix this bug, but I can't get the tab to pull the most recent software, and it hasn't been pushed to me yet.

Out of the box, my tab is loaded with Android 3.0.1, Kernel Version 2.6.36.3-00001-g9b3ce2b, Build number Acer_A500_1.104.02_COM_GEN1.

When I try to add an email or calendar account, it does not give me the option to add an "exchange" or "corporate" account. POP3 and IMAP are my only options. This is a well documented bug as posted in this forum and elsewhere.

I have repeatedly tried to pull a software update by going to Settings/About Tablet/System Update. When I tell it to check for updates now, it returns "Your device is up to date."

Any advice on backdoor fixes to enable exchange accounts, or to pull the latest software? I tried the workaround described in this post, but it did not work for me:

http://androidforums.com/acer-tablets/345323-exchange-server-bug-bypassed.html

When I went to Calendar/Settings/Add Account, it tried to force me to log in with a google account, and did not give me an option to create an exchange account.

Also, does anyone have feedback on using Touchdown or another third party app as a replacement for the native exchange functionality? If I can't get exchange to work on this tab in the next 24 hours, then I'm going to have to return it, even though I am otherwise pretty satisfied. Any help appreciated!

Advertisement

2. gabeyong

gabeyong Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Hi,

Acer has a habit of installing different ROMs for different countries. I have also heard that the builds are very different even if it is labelled as Honeycomb 3.01.

I think you should try exchanging your tablet to get a Honeycomb 3.01 - Build 1.141.07 GEN 1 (US). This build is the latest update for USA. It has native exchange support for email and calendar.

cheers :)

p/s the other alternative is to Root your tablet but I think since you got it brand new you might be better off exchanging it for another build.

Rooted Iconia A500 Tablet with exchange active sync

3. berg97

berg97 Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    This stinks! I purchased one this week for my wife, and it updated to new firmware immediately upon setup. I liked hers so much, I bought one for myself yesterday. However, mine won't update! I am stuck at 1.104.02, and when I select 'check for updates', it says my device is up to date!

My wife's has Exchange ActiveSync option, and mine does not. I Acer contacted support, and they were of no help at all. They would only say that my device would automatically update when an update is available.

Is there any other way to update the firmware short of returning the unit or rooting it?