• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Exchange - "As items arive" vs "Every X minutes" (battery use)

Clocks

Apr 18, 2010
Anyone seen a difference when changing the Exchange sync settings from "Every X minutes" to "As items arrive"?

I'm not one of the poor folks with horrible battery issues, and I easily get > 1 day of normal use, just wondering if this setting will put a noticeable drain on my battery,

If you want 'push' email with gmail and the native mail application, you need to use Google Sync (Gmail Sync). This is generally set up as an Exchange (ActiveSync) connection on handhelds. Otherwise you are likely using POP or IMAP access which is NOT push, it's fetch.

push = emails are updated on your mobile device, initiated by the server
fetch = your device gets email updates on a certain time interval configured on in the device settings

Google Sync for your phone

Upvote 0
I think that I get slightly better battery life using "every 5 minutes," but I haven't had enough time to truly test.

Also, I only get notifications of emails until I go to the application and let it refresh. They're not there immediately, but this could be due to how the phone is sleeping or some other issues. Again, I haven't had enough time to fully investigate these issues as much as I would like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones