• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

exchange issues

spaz480

Lurker
Jun 10, 2010
I am trying to set up an exchange server on a customers Motorola droid that they had purchased from us the other day, he brought in the HTTPS URL as well as his username and password, but when I put it in it gets hung up on authenticating the incoming server information it always comes back with unable to connect to incoming server.

when i put the info into my web browser on my laptop I am able to connect fine. any suggestions?

There could be a number of issues causing this.

It's possible that his company does not allow unknown devices on thier exchange server and he would need to talk to his IT to get permission to use that. It could also be restrictions that his exchange will not allow devices that do not fully support Microsoft ActiveSync which untill 2.2 Froyo comes out is not supported on the Android OS without a 3rd party application.

The best thing would be to refer him to his exchange admin as they would know thier system the best.

Upvote 0
The internal Android email client in 2.1 is pretty weak in terms of Exchange support, including enforcement of security policies required by the server. 2.2 improves on things, but still falls short of delivering Outlook-like functionality. My best advice is to try Touchdown instead - you can download a full-function trial from the Market to test before buying. It does include Activesync (under license from MS), and can connect in a couple other ways if Activesync isn't available on the server end. I've been using Touchdown for months, and am very pleased with both the product and the great support and continuous enhancements from the developers (Nitrodesk). IMHO, it's a must-have app if you rely on Exchange.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones