• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exchange not working - Authentication failed

knoche

Lurker
Nov 1, 2009
Hi everyone, I got my droid this morning and I'm having trouble getting this setup with Exchange.

On the Exchange side, I have enabled activesync (we currently have about 50 other winmo/iphone users so I know activesync is setup correctly).

On the droid, I verified 800 times that my account information is correct. I know it's connecting to my server because changing this gives me a different error.

Any ideas? Could this be a account issue @ Verizon? Any ideas?

I have found a good temporary solution to the Corporate Calendar not syncing via Exchange.

If your company uses Outlook:

Login to your gmail account on your actual computer, go to Calendar - then Sync (top right). This takes you to a page that gives you several options for synching your calendar.

You have to download an application to your computer that takes less than 30 seconds. Once you download it, it will ask you if you want to sync the Calendar both ways (outlook to Google and vice versa), one-way (Outlook to Google) or One-way (Google to Outlook).

I just did it and now my work calendar is completely sync'd to my Droid. It is not under the Corporate Calendar it is in the regular google Calendar, which I prefer. :)

Upvote 0
Did you have your WiFi enabled when you set up your corporate Exchange e-mail? If so, try this:

1. Delete the corporate account you set up with WiFi enabled
2. Disable WiFi
3. Create the account again

This worked for me. I don't know if it's an issue with the phone or with how the Exchange security is set up (maybe it only allows OTA connections somehow?).

Upvote 0
I have found a good temporary solution to the Corporate Calendar not syncing via Exchange.

If your company uses Outlook:

Login to your gmail account on your actual computer, go to Calendar - then Sync (top right). This takes you to a page that gives you several options for synching your calendar.

You have to download an application to your computer that takes less than 30 seconds. Once you download it, it will ask you if you want to sync the Calendar both ways (outlook to Google and vice versa), one-way (Outlook to Google) or One-way (Google to Outlook).

I just did it and now my work calendar is completely sync'd to my Droid. It is not under the Corporate Calendar it is in the regular google Calendar, which I prefer. :)

Perfect! Thank you!

Upvote 0
I purchased the Exchange by Touchdown app from the Marketplace and I was able to setup my Exchange (work) account using that app. My issue turned out that my inbox was huge when I first used the app, but now works like a charm.

The basic email app on the Droid I use for my Yahoo and Hotmail accounts.

Loving the Droid more everyday.

Note: I don't have the Verizon corporate plan.

Upvote 0
Make sure your domain is correct for your username. I had to drop the .com from mine for it to work (microsoft01\jsmith instead of microsoft01.com\jsmith). Also, under IIS, check out your default website and add a blank host header (IP is default, TCP port is 80, and Host Header Value is blank. This will also help any iphone users on your network.

Upvote 0
Did you have your WiFi enabled when you set up your corporate Exchange e-mail? If so, try this:

1. Delete the corporate account you set up with WiFi enabled
2. Disable WiFi
3. Create the account again

This worked for me. I don't know if it's an issue with the phone or with how the Exchange security is set up (maybe it only allows OTA connections somehow?).

MotoAlex's solution worked for me. Thanks for this! I've been having the banging my head against the wall on this one for a couple days now where exchange contacts and email synced fine, but authentication failed on corporate calendar. I just needed to drop and then re-add my exchange account with wi-fi disabled, and now it works.

Upvote 0
Thats odd. Its different for me.

I was trying to set it up via a notify link server which uses exchange to sync email calendar with iphones. I figured exchange is exchange right? well i can set it up(with wifi disabled) and email works fine. Every time i try to get the calender to work it gives me authentication failed.

Notify's website says droid support coming soon but why can it work with the current setup as exchange. Stupid company/program.

That was more of a rant than asking for help. :)

Upvote 0
I had the same "Authentication Failed" error when attempting to sync my Exchange Outlook calendar on my Droid. The solution was simple: Under the email account settings for your Exchange (OWA) server simply delete and recreate the settings and it should correct the problem. This immediately resolved my problem and there was no need for additional software, Google calendar sync, etc.:)

Upvote 0
Excellent tip on the Touchdown app. I have installed the trial version, and sure enough I am able to recieve my corporate emails.
Our IT department has Active Sync policies that the Droid can't accept - since we have not allowed the Android platform yet..

I setup Touchdown through the Exchange 2007 option, and i can recieve and also send (!!) emails, however, regardless of the number of days i select under 'History', the only email it seems to show me are any new messages from this point forward.

Anyone else encountered this?

Upvote 0
I had the same "Authentication Failed" error when attempting to sync my Exchange Outlook calendar on my Droid. The solution was simple: Under the email account settings for your Exchange (OWA) server simply delete and recreate the settings and it should correct the problem. This immediately resolved my problem and there was no need for additional software, Google calendar sync, etc.:)

Solutions are never this simple...except when they are.

I did this. It took 30 seconds and WHAM my MotoDroid was syncing with my Exchange 2003 calendar. :)

FYI my Email and Contact sync were working. It was just my Calendar that was giving the "authentication error".

Upvote 0
Under the email account settings for your Exchange (OWA) server simply delete and recreate the settings and it should correct the problem.

I'm excited, but confused. It sounds like this approach has worked for at least two of you with the same sync problem I have, but I'm unsure of where the "email account settings" are -- are these the ones on the phone itself (i.e., the ones I plugged in there to begin with, resulting in email and contacts working, but calendar not) or on my computer?

Many thanks,
Jeff

Upvote 0
differnet problem i have:

exchanged worked fine previous to 2.01 update, then after the update, my inbox will only sync periodically even after i select to manually sync it. When i select a different folder it will sync correctly, but my default inbox only syncs when it wants. it will always be 1-2 hrs behind, sometimes a whole night.

any ideas. already removed account(wiped as a mobile device from exchange side too), and readded. same issue.

i might post this as a separate thread.

Upvote 0
Hey guys:

I have a similar problem, but I am getting my exchange mail through a google apps system. My college email system used to go through an exchange sysem, but it was recently switched to google apps. My old Moto Q9c worked fine with both exchange and apps (set up through google sync). I just switch back to VZW and got the Droid. I set up my personal gmail account fine, but using the recommended Windows Mobile settings for google sync did not work, resulting in an authentication failure.

Has anyone else had better luck with this? I want my email and class calendar separate with my gmail and personal calendar.

Upvote 0
I'm excited, but confused. It sounds like this approach has worked for at least two of you with the same sync problem I have, but I'm unsure of where the "email account settings" are -- are these the ones on the phone itself (i.e., the ones I plugged in there to begin with, resulting in email and contacts working, but calendar not) or on my computer?

Many thanks,
Jeff

I have the same question/comment

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones