• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exchange not working - Authentication failed

When I first got the droid I set up my work email (exchange acct) and it automatically synched with my outlook calendar. I had an email acct issue one day and had to re-install the work acct on the phone. When I did this i could no longer see my outlook calendar. I decided to try the re-install again, this time TURNING OFF MY WI-FI and it worked. I took the advice from someone above (MotoAlex). So try to add the acct. with the wifi disabled

Upvote 0
I had the same problem with my corporate calendar. The email would sync but the calendar kept coming up with 'Authentication Failed'. This just started happening after the 2.1 update on my phone. I tried turning off the wifi and reseting the acct but it still would not work and then I remembered that I had turned on 'Use Wireless Networks' in Location and Security Settings on my phone (is great for telling you where pictures are taken, I actually use it for work since I take alot of pictures at job sites). After turning that off and reseting my exchange acct it worked fine. Try that if just shutting off your wifi does not work.

Upvote 0
After messing with it for 2 hours and trying everything possible, (even with pushdown i had an authication failure), it ended up to be a password problem. There where some special chars in my exchange password that were messed somewhere between my droid and the server. Even working with the builtin exchange app work since changing the password. Hope it helps someone else. The char not working for me was a common french char:

Upvote 0
Did you have your WiFi enabled when you set up your corporate Exchange e-mail? If so, try this:

1. Delete the corporate account you set up with WiFi enabled
2. Disable WiFi
3. Create the account again

This worked for me. I don't know if it's an issue with the phone or with how the Exchange security is set up (maybe it only allows OTA connections somehow?).

Holy mother of all things amazing that worked.
I am terribly sorry to revive a 2-year old thread but i have been searching for a fix for my email woes for weeks now and just doing this fixed all of my problems. i have posted here, other forums, on the google boards, on the htc boars, on my company message board, on various BBSs, on irc on 4chan and over the local native american smoke signal network. no luck

unbelievable. all i want was gmail and my exchange box on the same app with both pushing. K9 won't work with my company exchange and obviously the gmail app only works for gmail. touchdown only supports 1 mailbox and blah blah blah none of the other popular apps work.

that leaves the stock mail app which worked sometimes yet for some reason or another would invariably stop working after X amount of time only to inexplicably start working after simply opening settings and hitting save without changing anything. infuriating.

but now, thanks to simply setting it all up the exact same way but with wifi off, i have no autosync errors and all my dreams have come true.

so in summary:

Setting up Gmail as an exchange address

turn wifi radio off
open mail
menu > more > new account
microsoft exchange activesync
email address: username@gmail.com
password
manual setup

Email : username@gmail.com
server address: m.google.com
domain: google
username: username@gmail.com
password
check this server requires an encrypted ssl connection
sync what you want, when you want, click next
rejoice

thank you so much!!

Upvote 0
Holy mother of all things amazing that worked.
I am terribly sorry to revive a 2-year old thread but i have been searching for a fix for my email woes for weeks now and just doing this fixed all of my problems. i have posted here, other forums, on the google boards, on the htc boars, on my company message board, on various BBSs, on irc on 4chan and over the local native american smoke signal network. no luck

unbelievable. all i want was gmail and my exchange box on the same app with both pushing. K9 won't work with my company exchange and obviously the gmail app only works for gmail. touchdown only supports 1 mailbox and blah blah blah none of the other popular apps work.

that leaves the stock mail app which worked sometimes yet for some reason or another would invariably stop working after X amount of time only to inexplicably start working after simply opening settings and hitting save without changing anything. infuriating.

but now, thanks to simply setting it all up the exact same way but with wifi off, i have no autosync errors and all my dreams have come true.

so in summary:

Setting up Gmail as an exchange address

turn wifi radio off
open mail
menu > more > new account
microsoft exchange activesync
email address: username@gmail.com
password
manual setup

Email : username@gmail.com
server address: m.google.com
domain: google
username: username@gmail.com
password
check this server requires an encrypted ssl connection
sync what you want, when you want, click next
rejoice
thank you so much!!
I'm glad this worked for you, wish it would for me. I have Android intermittent call problem that is apparently common on phones of various makes on various cellular providers: sometimes when I make or receive calls, the call goes through but neither party can hear or speak to the other. The final repair attempt was to have Samsung re-flash my Galaxy s4. Not only did it not fix the problem, but now I can't get Outlook to sync: Authentication failed. The settings are all correct, verfied by my company's IT dept. The help desk says sometimes this happens and then it will randomly start working if I keep trying, which has been my experience before. So now my phone randomly won't make or receive calls, and I can't get my work emails, IMs, or calendar on my Android. How much is that new iPhone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones