• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exchange sync established but no mail or contacts

Puddinhead

Nov 11, 2009
My IT guy finally helped me get contact with my exchange server. When the sync went through from the calendar shortcut, the calendar came up. However, I don't use the calendar on my exchange outlook so it appears blank. I can't tell if any information came through or not.

I definitely do not have email or contacts. When I go to the contact shortcut it gives the prompt to initiate an import or whatever and shows no contacts there.

The email pulls up and shows a blank screen. When I go to accounts I can see my exchange account as I set it up when prompted to do so.

Question: any idea what I did wrong? The server is allowing me to attach but as far as I can tell no information is coming through.

Thanks in advance.

I'm close to taking this thing back. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

I had the same problem, but found that only mail going directly to the Inbox show in the droid Inbox.

If you have Rules that move your messages to custom folders, you need to go to those folders and select "Refresh". You should see the new messages and any other message that's 3 days old or earlier (default timeframe).

Lemme know if this helped.

Upvote 0
Hi, Puddinhead. Are you on a standard Exchange 2003/2007 server?

Here are the settings on mine that is working:
1) From Android home screen, open the menu and select Settings / Accounts & Sync
2) Exchange account is listed as mailname@domain.com and sync is On. Touch this account
3) Verify Sync Corporate Calendar and Sync Contacts are both checked
4) Touch top menu item "Account Settings"
5) Most settings are preferences. Scroll down to the next to the last menu item and select "Incoming Settings"
6) Verify these settings are correct.
* domain\username: Your domain is your internal logon domain, not your external domain (unless they are the same). Typically, this is a one-word netbios name. If you are not sure what this is, look at your windows computer when you logon to your internal network. The 3rd box is your domain. Also note that is a back slash. It won't work correctly with a front slash between the domain and your username.
* Password: your pw
* Exchange server: This is the URL for your exchange server without the leading protocol. For example, use mail.domain.com instead of http://mail.domain.com
* Use secure connection should be checked.
* Accept all SSL certificates is not checked on mine. We use a public cert authority.

It will setup when you click next at the bottom.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Thanks, SHenry... but I don't have rules set or other folders (though I'm about to set one up) so while that's not the solution for my particular problem today, it will help with one that will come "tomorrow!" Many thanks.

Jacquelyn: That's the sort of instruction I've been looking for! Once I checked use secure connection I got "setup could not finish - unable to open connection to server." So that's actually a step backwards... i think! I'm pretty naive to this stuff, but my IT guy claims to have reconfiged the server to allow connection.

Are these things case sensitive? That's all I can think right now given this new advice.

Upvote 0
Exchange should be running on IIS, which is not case sensitive. I am a bit concerned that your Exchange server did not like the secure connection. OWA can potentially send passwords (along with all your mail) in clear text if the data is not encrypted. Does the URL you use to connect to OWA start with http:// or https://?

If you'd like to PM me the excact data your IT people gave you, I'd be glad to try and decipher it for you.

Upvote 0
Truthfully, I don't know. I tried to go all caps and that didn't change anything so it's not a case sensitive issue.

Again, I'm extremely "not computer savvy". I flunked out of electrical engineering school mostly because my computer skills were significantly lacking. I suck at math, too. And law school was the ultimate destination as a result. Today, I'm more savvy with technology than before but it's certainly not something I'd brag about. In short, I'm pretty uneducated about this stuff.

Your help is, to me, a testament of how helpful folks are. Even if I ultimately have to turn this phone back in, I appreciate your efforts to help me. It's quite impressive. Thank you very much.

I'll IM you the info I use to connect.

Upvote 0
I'm glad to help where I can. :) Android is new to me, but I've worked with Exchange for many years.

Somewhere I've got a post with some step-by-step setup I gave someone. Let me see if I can find that and link to it.

Edit to add: Doh! of course, it is this thread. I see it a few posts above. Where's that smack myself on the head icon. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones