• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exchanged phone, now everythings different?!

JennaLynn

Lurker
Aug 16, 2012
I've had my Samsung galaxy s2 with TMobile for a few months now. Recently, the port to charge my phone has stopped working so I had to do a warranty exchange. Finally, I got my new phone after a week of waiting, and after working on it for about give hours, I can't get anything to be the same as my original phone. Everything seems more bulky (apps, icons, wording), and a lot less detailed. Tried to update and says it's already updated. Everything looks so different.
Examples: my service bars; instead of actually having bars it's just one big combined triangle on the top bar. The settings are completely different, seeming unorganized and confusing. The on-screen widgets are bulky and I can not edit them, such as the status shortcut bar (battery saver that came with phone). There's no way I can uninstall the bulky games and apps that came with the phone, with my original it let me. My lock screen looks less detailed/bulky, along with the clock. There's a lot less settings for customizing and wifi. Phone seems slower. When I get on webcam with someone, it seems choppy and extremely pixelated, yet if I use my original phone it's all fine.
I am extremely annoyed and confused, seeming as if I am downgraded somehow. This bulk is awful, and I would love to have my phone back the way it was with less problems. I know a lot of these examples don't seen important, but I figured it might help solve the problem. As said, I tried to update it but it did not work, even tried restarting and resetting. I've been working on this for literally give hours. Please help. If I need to post screen captures I will. Thanks.

**also, with the email app which came defaulted with phone will not let me log in to my live email. I left it connecting for over an hour and it did not work. With Mt other phone, again, it's.perfect.

This is not good. They should have fixed your charging port and gave you back your phone.

Anyways, weak customer support is not something new. It seems your phone is loaded with a crappy ROM.

I believe your phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, there are many good custom or official ROMs for you that you can try:
* Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 (T-Mobile): How to install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery
* Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 (T-Mobile): Upgrading to official Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware T989UVLE1

PS.
I would suggest contacting your carrier first, they shouldn't give you a crappy phone...

Upvote 0
This is not good. They should have fixed your charging port and gave you back your phone.

Anyways, weak customer support is not something new. It seems your phone is loaded with a crappy ROM.

I believe your phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, there are many good custom or official ROMs for you that you can try:
* Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 (T-Mobile): How to install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery
* Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 (T-Mobile): Upgrading to official Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware T989UVLE1

PS.
I would suggest contacting your carrier first, they shouldn't give you a crappy phone...

Just keep in mind that for ROMs to be installed you need to be "Rooted". Here's a link to Rooting your phone if you so decide to do so:

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...galaxy-s2-t-mobile-all-things-root-guide.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones