• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Exchanging Eris for Incredible

CaseyKees

Android Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2010
Western NY
I received and activated my Eris on 4/8/2010. I am exchanging it for the Incredible. I have two questions...

1. What is the best way to make sure my personal information is off the phone before I return it...contacts etc... I'm assuming as far as my music etc goes, I can just delete the stuff of the SD card. I haven't really personalized the phone much because I have been working so much. Should I remove the few apps I have installed??

2. I was told by CSR to return the Eris to a store on 4/29 to make the exchange. (I ordered my phone online, but they said I can still return it to the store.) My question is this and I'll probably just go to the store to find out but I'd thought I'd ask anyway! If I return the phone to a store tomorrow, will I eventually be able to pre-order the phone online? I have phones that I can activate on the line and use in the meantime so I'm not worried about that.

I would prefer to pre-order online because 1) They take the rebate off right away which is less of an initial out of pocket expense; 2) No potential crowds at the store and running the risk of them running out before I get one; 3) I have to work and while I have gotten permission to go to Verizon that morning, it puts my workplace at a slight disadvantage while I'm gone; 4) I have been thinking that now that I know I am getting rid of the Eris, I'm afraid to use it, for fear that something will happen to it and they won't take it back!! :)

Thanks in advance!

You should be able to delete contacts easily in the phone. If you want no trace left, you would have to fill up the rom to full capacity and delete everything you added multiple times. Otherwise, it still is technically on there, just not written over (at least that's how a hard drive works). I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone is going to try to look at the deleted contacts though. That would be a huge effort, people usually do that sort of thing for private information they can sell like social security numbers, etc. But if you have the british prime minister's number on there, go ahead and try to wipe it clean the way I said.

I'd also return it now. If it gets scratched etc they might not take it back (though I'm not sure). I have also heard on here that if you return it and go back to your old phone, you aren't charged a return fee. I'm not sure I believe that but it could be a perk.

Also, I doubt there will be a crowd. Not that many people are waiting for this thing, and most that are seem to be pre-ordering. If they start advertising on tv that might change though.

Upvote 0
I just pretty much have my contacts and music and the few apps I downloaded. Nothing of major national security! LOL I will just do a basic delete of my stuff and call it good!

I would Fed Ex it back with the airbill they gave me, but the CSR rep said there probably wouldn't be enough time for me to do that by the time it went to the warehouse etc...to still be able to preorder.

Hoping the store will take it!

Upvote 0
Will all the flack that Verizon's customer service seems to get sometimes I just wanted to share MY experience today!

This morning I called about returning the Eris at a store. I was told that they "should" except the return, but since I wasn't doing an exhange they could refuse my request. I have lost the airbill that came with the phone, so he also gave me the address to send it back, as well as saying that as soon as I see on the tracking information that the warehouse has received the phone, to call back and they would change my date and help me in ordering my Incredible.

So, I looked up online to see approximately how much I would have to pay FED EX. It was about 15-20 bucks. Well, since he said the store might take it back I decided to go over and ask, because all they could do is say no...right?? Well, they did say no, but offered to give me an airbill so I didn't have to pay for shipping, which was cool! But, there was some information that the CSR this morning told me to put on the airbill. It was not on the airbill that the store gave me. I explained to the nice gentleman that I was a little confused about that and didn't know what to do because I didn't want any holdups in ordering my Incredible. He looked up my account again and finally decided to just except the return!!

He noted my account and told me to call CS back when I got home and have them roll my date back, which I did, with yet another very helpful CSR!! I checked online after I hung up...and the date is todays date!!

Big shout out from me to Verizon Wireless CS!!! (Yeah I know, they don't read the forum ;) LOL)

Is it 4/19 yet???? I want to order my Incredible!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones