1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Exchanging my phone at the store: need info on saving and deleting personal info from old phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by beepbot, Sep 13, 2011.

1. beepbot

beepbot Newbie
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    Bought a Motorola Triumph (carrier: Virgin Mobile) a few weeks ago, it's not charging reliably. Wiggling the jack sometimes works, not always. Tried several chargers, pretty sure it's the phone. I want to return it to the store (Best Buy) and exchange or replace it with another model. Never had to bring a phone back before, seeking advice.

My main question is this: if you delete photos, are they still available on the storage area of the phone or on the SD card? Can you recommend a secure data removal app (something similar to Eraser)?

Other things I'm looking for:

1. A good way to save my texts
    2. A list of any other kinds of data I should save
    3. Info about any other privacy concerns I should be thinking about when returning a phone to a store
    4. Tips on navigating Best Buy's return policy
    5. Suggestions for other phone models. I had an LG Optimus V and was fairly satisfied with it; I might go back to it if the Triumph really is a lemon. My carrier is Virgin Mobile. Please feel free to weigh in.

Thanks very much for your time.

Advertisement

2. beepbot

beepbot Newbie
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    stef7 gave the following (excellent) reply:

Well, before I would consider selling or returning mine, I'd probably do the following:
    1). Copy all your content from the SD card onto a personal computer using drag and drop over the USB cable.

2). Perform a SD Card Format
    Menu | Settings | SD card and phone storage settings | Unmount then Format

((alternatively, you could power down the phone, pull the 2GB card out, and put in a blank 2GB card... you could re-use the 2GB card by removing the one from the replacement phone and putting the saved one back in)).

3). Clear your phone number using the Phone App and entering ##VIRGIN# and View, then doing it again and selecting Edit and entering 0s for your phone number. I don't think there's anything wrong with leaving the other number alone - just alter the one that was your phone number...

4). Perform a Factory Reset (follow the procedure here)
    https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64814/~/motorola-triumph---master-reset-%2F-factory-data-reset

As for saving your texts, I suppose you could download MyPhoneExplorer from the Market (for the phone), and from the Web (for the PC) and use that. But honestly, you want to save them?

Rolo42 likes this.