1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

exFAT 1TB external drive?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stridermt2k, Aug 19, 2012.

1. stridermt2k

stridermt2k Android Enthusiast

I'm trying to see the media on my Western Digital1TB My Passport external USB drive.
    I have it formatted xfat.

Stickmount can mount the drive, but I don't see the contents.

I tried Nexus Media Importer, but it kept crashing when reading the drive.

What am I doing wrong?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter!

I would think it would work but maybe not...

3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Do you know if your kernel supports exfat or not?

4. stridermt2k

I'm running the stock kernel.
    I probably should have mentioned that but I'm newly rooted just this afternoon.

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

I can't find anything exFat related with the nexus 7, so I'd wager that's your problem - the stock kernel only supports a limited number of file systems.

Fat32 should work, if you want to stick with the stock firmware. Otherwise, I've heard of people using NTFS (which allows for larger file sizes than Fat32), but that definitely requires a custom kernel.

stridermt2k likes this.
  6. palmtree5

That could be your problem. I don't know for sure though because I don't currently own an otg cable (mainly because I'm not excited about waiting 3 weeks to have one shipped from Hong Kong)

7. palmtree5

Any ideas on kernels that support ntfs? Personally I would prefer it because of the support for large files (anything above 4096 MB iirc). I could store everything that could be useful on any system

8. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

This one does.

I'm using it too, albeit on a custom rom rather than the stock one, and it seems to work great.

stridermt2k likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

It was indicated a few times in the OTG thread in the main forum that the stock kernel supports NTFS.

I'm running a custom kernel, so I don't know. But you could give it a try.

10. stridermt2k

The reason I'm going after exFAT specifically is because my Toshiba tablet doesn't support NTFS either but works great with the drive formatted exFAT.
    Bringing the Nexus 7 around to this would mean they both work with the drive. The Nexus 7 is more critical because it lacks external storage of it's own.
    It looks like a custom kernel that supports more file systems might be in order.
    I'm clueless as to how to go about it unfortunately.

Thanks for the responses thus far. it looks like I've got some more stuff to learn! :)

EDIT:
    I've done some reading there and downloaded the "NOGPUOC" version as well as the stock kernel.
    It looks like the instructions are pretty straightforward so I'll give it a shot when I can.

Thanks again!

11. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Oh, okay. Yeah I haven't tried it myself either (ordered an OTG cable last night), so I'm not entirely sure either way.

Apologies if you already know, but as it isn't mentioned in their instructions, you should do a nandroid backup in recovery mode before flashing it (or flashing anything at all). Then you can restore it if the flash doesn't go as planned.

stridermt2k likes this.
  12. stridermt2k

Thanks for the heads up!

At this point there isn't any data on there that won't get re-synced, so I'm not that worried about it.
    I have to admit that I'm a little bummed that I HAVE to do stuff like this to get the functionality that I want out of this thing.

I love ICS, but JB just seems to be a little too locked down for me.
    The Toshiba I almost returned has proven to be a far less troublesome machine to use on a daily basis.

Sent from my Toshiba Excite 10 AT305 using Tapatalk 2

13. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Do it anyway, trust me. If the flash doesn't work, you'll corrupt the OS and the device won't boot. It'll take you 5 minutes to fix that if you have a nandroid backup to restore, which puts your tablet back exactly how it was before you made the flash.

Without one, you would have to find a factory OS image or a flashable ROM.zip before you can even start syncing data back to the tablet.

EDIT: You can store the backup on your PC too, if you're worried about space :)

14. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Oh, and one more thing that I found when I rooted mine. On devices with sdcards, you can mount your device to the PC even from the recovery menu. The n7, without an sdcard, uses MTP instead, which doesn't work from recovery.

So always have a nandroid backup on your tablet whilst flashing, even if you keep them on the PC 99% of the time. Otherwise it would be a pain to restore one.

Ideally you'd do backup immediately before flashing anyway of course, because then you don't lose any data whatsoever if you need to restore.

15. cyclejoc

cyclejoc Lurker

What is exFAT? I have used all 3 of my external drives all up to 750gb and my USB mouse with my nexus running stock, Jr6 and CM10 with no problem. CM 10 doesn't required Stick mount. Its built in. No other apps required. KISS keep it simple.

16. palmtree5

exFAT stands for extended file allocation table. If you want to know more, I would suggest this.

17. stridermt2k

As I said in earlier posts I'm trying to find a solution that will allow me to use my drive with both my nexus 7 and my Toshiba Excite 10 AT305.

There is practically nothing going on in the Toshiba arena but loads going on on the Nexus 7 side so that's why I'm seeking help here.

I appreciate the suggestions folks, and will keep monitoring the thread for ideas

18. shawn672

shawn672 Newbie

I found it odd, but mine reads NTFS on the stock rom/kernel..