• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Exhibit II and android version

oifla

Sep 3, 2011
hello all

looking around for a good deal on an android phone for t-mobile and it seems like all roads lead to the exhibit II. i've found a lot of comments on slow / laggy performance for this phone which makes some sense given the single processor. so, here's my question: is it possible to install an older simpler version of android on it? i am very happy with the version of androind on my google G1. even though the hardware is ancient, that (relatively vanilla) version of android works fine on that phone, i would like to install something similar on the exhibit II so that i can have a bit faster processor and 4G. (similar to taking an older laptop and running XP on it so that the OS doesn't overwhelm the older hardware). can it be done? thanks

RebelROM and Peach Sunrise are probably the best ROMs for this phone. It's a great budget Android phone with 4G. There is no customer kernel to overclock it, though. Very underrated phone.

ok, are those 'lighter' (in terms of RAM) than what comes on the phone (gingerbread)? i'm a noon w phones as you can tell :)

right now (just bought the phone), with no apps or anything else downloaded on it , the OS is using upo 220mb out of 356mb.

Upvote 0
ok, are those 'lighter' (in terms of RAM) than what comes on the phone (gingerbread)? i'm a noon w phones as you can tell :)

right now (just bought the phone), with no apps or anything else downloaded on it , the OS is using upo 220mb out of 356mb.

These roms remove alot of unnecessary bloat (Samsung or T mobile) software. It should help but the phone is limited by being single core

Upvote 0
cool, that sounds like it might be a good first step. i'm pretty decent with computers but i've never messed with my phone.

i think i can figure out rooting, how did you figure out what to get rid of (do you remember what you removed?)?

I am on same boat as you, and I will watch this thread closely. :) I cannot believe the amount of bloatware T-Mo and Samsung put in this phone (less samsung more t-mobile) and some of them actually keep running even once you close them.

Once you find out which rooting method is best, please share. I will also root this phone first, and remove the bloatware, see if that helps. I spent a while setting up everything for my wife, I just don't want to go through all that again, install apps, etc..etc..

I rooted and removed the bloat, but kept the stock ROM. It's noticeably quicker.

Could you let us know which bloat did you remove? Was it the obvious ones (like navigation, my t-mobile, t-mo tv, etc.. ), or did you actually remove some of the essentials as well like calendar, calculator, voice recorder, etc.. (they are still green in that safe to remove list)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones