• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NowVoyager

Android Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2009
Left Coast
In light of the recent news that there is no 2.1 upgrade coming for the Cliq XT in Q4: This thread was started in hopes of assisting one another to find ways for not getting stuck with this phone. We are only victims if we do nothing.

If you're happy with your XT, this thread is not going to be helpful to you. If on the other hand, you are seeking ways to approach Tmo or Moto, or you just need to hang out with people who understand your frustration, this is your spot.

Modding talk is allowed. We ask that you please provide links and as much information as will be helpful to a person seeking remedy. Modding is a choice...a freedom, so that you don't feel victimized and left behind when "the powers that be" decide to EOL your phone. It is within your rights to Mod your phone just as it is within your rights to upgrade any computer that you have purchased (or own). It is NOT against the law to Mod your phone! It MAY void your warranty however. But there are programs out which can take your phone back to factory specs so be aware of this.

Want to Root your phone? [ROOT] Cliq XT

Many of you ask about ROMs - Which ones are the best, etc. Mastermind278 has posted his favorites and I have copied and pasted his message below in quotes for your convenience.
Guys here are my top 3 Recommendations on the ROMS to be used on the CliqXT. These ROMS with their prospective patches are considered to be very close to bug free.
1. Basically Blurless MM278
2. Adlx 2.1.54-2 Consolidation
3. Motoblur 2.1.54

I recommend the first 2 ROMS the most (Adlx's and mine). They will pretty much give you an amazing CliqXT running Android 2.1.

There are works on Froyo and Gingerbread ROMS but those are still in development with bugs so they are not perfect for daily use like the above ones.

Disclaimer: There is assumed risk in modding. We are not responsible for you taking action upon any advice found here. We merely submit suggestions of what may have worked for someone else. You assume full responsibility for anything that you do to or about your phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxD3n7zuUcU&feature=player_embedded

If you have come over from the Moto Forum, please let us know who you were over there so that we can recognize you! LOL

Lastly, if someone has been helpful to you in any way, there is a little "Thanks" button in the lower right hand corner of their post. Please take a minute to thank someone for being helpful! It is appreciated

I've been lurking for a few weeks over there on the Bloto forums and have been as frustrated as everyone else. Imagine my surprise when Bloto posted that there would be no update for the wally XT! No problem, I had masterminds ROM on mine within 30 minutes (I had been delaying to see if Bloto would delay anymore). Yes there are a couple of issues one must get used to, but when the update for TMO comes out a fix should be in store. I'll tell you, Angry Birds on the XT isn't very fast, but it is fun and best of all - there! At 1.5 the XT is already a brick, so...

Upvote 0
This thread is a great idea. I have stopped supporting the Motorola Support thread completely so I guess this is my new stop. I'm completely fed up and I can't get a new phone right now so I'm looking at my modding options. Can anyone lead me in the direction of a good ROM. One that is stable. I'm also hoping that the speakerphone issue is resolved (that's one of the main reasons that I have not gone the route of modding yet).

Well thanks for the help in advance.

Upvote 0
Hi gang! Welcome!!! So good to see you all!!!

I figured that sooner or later, the powers that be will cut the lights out over there and we had better have somewhere to go, LOL.

As to modding. Mastermind278 is around here and hopefully we can get him in here to answer some questions. Here is one of his videos showing the XT running Froyo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUAR7InRv4k

Enjoy!

NV

Upvote 0
For those who have gotten exit deals, congratulations! Please feel free to share your process to freedom, LOL.

Strategy #1: Dealing With Customer Retention

For those who have yet to get a deal via Customer Retention, I found this little tidbit today which will help us to understand the mindset of the Tmo Retention Rep, why they try to play hardball and how to have the most success with them. It's a bit of an eye opener between the lines.
Tough Love From A Current T-Mobile Retention Rep - The Consumerist

Let's just say that I was doing it all WRONG, LOL

NV

Upvote 0
Strategy #2 - Modding Your Phone

This is an option for the brave and bold risk takers among us, LOL
I would defer to the knowledge of our own Mastermind278. He is working on the XT as we speak.

Here is where Android Experts and Developers hang out. Familiarize yourself with the place and their lingo. Its heaven, LOL

Upgrading, Modifying and Unlocking - xda-developers

Here is a website where many modders hang out

Android, Blackberry, Motorola & Palm News | ModMyMobile - Android News

Just remember Modding your phone is a " do at your own risk" strategy. On the plus side, it is one that has the potential to extend the life of your phone if it works. On the other hand it has the potential to brick your phone and void your warranty. Weigh out the pros and cons for your individual situation. Get all the information that you can and then do what is best for YOU.

Let us know what you've done, what was your process and how you feel about your outcome!

Please leave your questions here too so that we all can learn together!

Upvote 0
So Glad to see the family all together

Isn't it great?!! @Re-TARDIS and @Overbord - I'm happy that you joined us!

@FrankOnAndroid - Hey buddy! Thanks for helping out! Love the name change, LOL

Welcome to our former lurker @Socko!

And welcome @Koolkat!

Okay everybody! Let's get busy! Questions! Comments! Venting! Solutions! It's all good!

Upvote 0
Strategy #3 - Letter Writing Campaign

This option is for those who are seeking restitution and who have tried to get assistance via Customer Service/Retention to no avail. The object is to get the attention of people in authority who may be moved to bring remedy to your situation.

If you choose to write a letter via Snail Mail (my method of choice because it cannot be thwarted by a Spam Filter and go unseen) here is a short guideline. You have a right to let the officers of the company know how you feel regarding Your unfortunate experience as their customer. [All of this information is a matter of public record and can be found here: EDGAR ONLINE - MOTOROLA MOBILITY HOLDINGS, INC - SEC FILINGS ]

Dr. Sanjay K. Jha - CEO
Daniel Moloney - President
Marc E. Rothman - SVP CFO

Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc.

Address:
600 NORTH US HIGHWAY 45
LIBERTYVILLE, Illinois 60048
Telephone:
847-576-5000

Strategy: Letter of Complaint

Write individual letters to the officers. It can be the same letter addressed separately to each. Be professional. Use your best stationery. Type the letter but sign it in black or blue ink.

The body of the letter should address your issues of complaint. Tell them how the failure of their product to perform as promised, has affected you, your income if applicable and your well-being (especially list precisely how it has caused a degradation in performance of your phone - such as the inability to use applications that you rely upon or have paid for that you no can use because that application no longer supports the Android 1.5 OS).

2. Tell them what you want - How you wish to have this issue resolved. Be reasonable and be firm. Let them know that you are and have been a loyal customer and would like to continue. However the outcome of this issue rests with whether or not you receive fair treatment in the matter to your satisfaction.

3. Close the letter in a firm but non-threatening manner. It is vital that you let them know that the above issues and their response to these issues will reflect heavily upon whether or not you will continue as their customer now and in the future. (This affects their bottom line)

4. Wait for a response.

Email Campaign: Same as above

Here are some email addresses (all found online)

CEO, President, Non-Executive Chairman
gregory.brown@motorola.com
CFO, Senior VP
edward.fitzpatrick@motorola.com
President of Motorola Mobility
daniel.moloney@motorola.com
CEO Mobile and Home Business
sanjay.jha@motorola.com
Executive VP, General Counsel, Secretary
peter.lawson@motorola.com
Executive VP, President Enterprise Mobility
eugene.delaney@motorola.com
Senior VP, Public Affairs and Communications
karen.tandy@motorola.com

Please note: As of Jan. 4, 2011 Motorola splits into two companies. Your issues are with Motorola Mobility, Inc.

Please let us know if you used these strategies and if so, how it turned out!

Good wishes to you!
NV

Upvote 0
I'm still working a deal with customer retention, hard to decide between the optimus t and mt4g, in the mean time I'll try one of the roms available this afternoon when I get to a computer.

Btw, this forum is great on the phandroid app, actually works good on my briq xt. Much easier and faster than the browser

Hope it works out for ya real soon Re-TARDIS!

I am leaning toward the G2 because I want to try Vanilla Android. I have had such a terrible time with UI overlays. The only thing that is giving me pause is that I know the LG Optimus 2X dual core is coming in March. And I'm more than a little anxious about what's going to happen @ CES next week!!! :p
T-Mobile Plans Lots Of 4G For CES | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more

Note: This forum X's out your Nic because of its spelling, LOL

Upvote 0
This thread is a great idea. I have stopped supporting the Motorola Support thread completely so I guess this is my new stop. I'm completely fed up and I can't get a new phone right now so I'm looking at my modding options. Can anyone lead me in the direction of a good ROM. One that is stable. I'm also hoping that the speakerphone issue is resolved (that's one of the main reasons that I have not gone the route of modding yet).

Well thanks for the help in advance.

Study these sites. The unlockr site is a little more detailed but read before you do it to understand the process.

How To: Root the Motorola CLIQ XT / Quench | TheUnlockr
How To: Load a Custom ROM on the Motorola CLIQ XT / Quench | TheUnlockr
[RECOVERY] j_r0dd-mb501-v1.8.1 FINAL (12.13.10)
[ROM] Barely BlurredXT (Android 2.1) for Motorola CliqXT/Quench - BETA 2 (10/10/2010)

Only takes about 30 minutes being careful. Mastermind278 ROM is the one I'm using and 'angry birds' is running good. Had a problem with an existing app but mm278 told me it should be fixed in a few days. Good luck and safe modding.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Lol I just called TMO and the best theycould do is $50 off full price. I will call back soon. MuaHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Yeah, Retention is playing hardball. The article that I posted above re: Retention Reps is eye-opening about how they come upon this pricing.

But in short, they start from the $499.99 price and negotiate down. They "whack off" $250 in an instant "rebate" which brings it down to $249.99 They take off $50 to compensate you instantly for your "mail-in rebate" bringing your total to $199.99 - which is miraculously the same price as ANYONE can get the phone for online (except for BB who has it for $149.99).

They waive the $18 upgrade fee. They waive shipping charges. But tax you on the $499.

Upvote 0
I used unlockr.com to mod my xt with the adlx 2.1.54 mod. Did it yesterday, no issues except the battery drains a bit faster.

Study these sites. The unlockr site is a little more detailed but read before you do it to understand the process.

How To: Root the Motorola CLIQ XT / Quench | TheUnlockr
How To: Load a Custom ROM on the Motorola CLIQ XT / Quench | TheUnlockr
[RECOVERY] j_r0dd-mb501-v1.8.1 FINAL (12.13.10)
[ROM] Barely BlurredXT (Android 2.1) for Motorola CliqXT/Quench - BETA 2 (10/10/2010)

Only takes about 30 minutes being careful. Mastermind278 ROM is the one I'm using and 'angry birds' is running good. Had a problem with an existing app but mm278 told me it should be fixed in a few days. Good luck and safe modding.

Upvote 0
It is so good to see all these good people here from motorola forum.
Really heart warming.
The forum is really upbeat so far.
I am glad the collection of moding links.

The motorola forum really left a bad taste in my mouth, and it significantly decreased the amount of work I was able to do the last couple of weeks.

I hope to get the Adlxmod done later today and then get back to work.

I wish the CyanogenMod was more stable then the way it is described.
Anybody has experience with it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones