1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Expand touchless control with Tasker

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by amlothi, Nov 9, 2013.

1. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

I just found this and tried a couple simple ones so far and it works flawlessly.

For those that use Tasker, you can download a plugin called Tasker App Factory (free). It allows you to export a Tasker profile as an App you can then install and run separately.

For example, I wanted to be able to turn on bluetooth in my car without touching the phone. So I made a simple profile with action to turn bluetooth on, exported it with App Factory, and installed it as an app.

Now I can say "Ok Google Now, open Bluetooth On" and voila!

Tip: Use a "back" or "go home" action at the end of your profile to have the phone exit Google Now once done.

2. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

Awesome. Now I just need to figure out how to get a "make me a sammich" profile.

OK Google....

3. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Android Expert

So you just explained what App factory does better than the description :p
    Care to share how you set up the profile?

4. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert

Nice idea. Most of my profiles through Tasker are deliberately non-interactive, but being able to wake the phone up by voice might open up some interesting options to execute tasks without touching the device.

5. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert

There are lots of resources online about Tasker so I won't rehash the basics here. Essentially, I had a profile that set my phone up for use in the car (set volumes, gps, turn off Wifi) that was driven by a context of bluetooth connected to the car.

However, I don't like to leave bluetooth on all the time. I also forget to turn it on when I start driving. So I created an app to turn on bluetooth that I can call by voice. Once on, the other profile takes over and does the rest.

6. GandalfTehGray

Got it, Ill have to try that when I get mine.

7. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

OK, I just found this out.... but I kid you not

THIS ACTUALLY WORKS

Just say "OK Google, make me a sandwich"

I had no idea the power....

(No seriously, try it)

Thom likes this.
  8. I needed that.

... Sandwich

9. cgwaters

cgwaters Newbie

Any comments on how well/poorly Tasker works with KitKat?

I'm a fan of PhoneWeaver (an excellent, user-friendly, profile switching app) but the developers have indicated they are no longer working on it. Something about how 'security measures taken by Google within KitKat' have made the app too difficult to improve.

In my experience, PhoneWeaver seems to work well with KitKat; but if it's no longer being supported, I need to start looking at other options.

10. GandalfTehGray

All the things I use Tasker for still work, give me an idea what you want to do and Ill test it on my X and Nexus 7.

11. Can you test if you can get an app exported that turns on BT, please. I just got Tasker on my Moto X only for the purpose to make such an app for touch less control and either I'm too dumb or its not working properly on 4.4.4 I don't even see an app factory export option at all

12. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

For expanding Touchless Controls using Tasker, I would recommend buying the AutoVoice plugin for Tasker, as opposed to using App Factory to create an app for each task you want to do. I will leave you with a much more dynamic system and a lot less clutter in your app drawer (no need to export and install apps from Tasker).

Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) release date was August 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 10MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2200mAh battery.

August 2013
Release Date
Reviews